hibernation confusion

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_nickyt_*

Guest_nickyt_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2007 - 12:41 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 28-08-07 AT 12:43 PM (GMT)]I have been reading the tortoise trust site about hibernation and i am very confused. Sheldon is still outside munching away on his weeds and is still outside at night, in his little house.On the trust site it says to stop feeding torts 3 weeks prior to hibernatingx( How do i know when to stop feeding him as dont know when to put him into hibernation and also i will have to put him back in his tort table as outside he will keep feeding, do i bring him in and do i use the heat lamp or does he need the cool to slow him down......aaaaagh im so confused.x( x(
Please, please, please can someone help.

nicky

p.s i have also weighed and measured him and he is 16cm and weighs 732gramms does this seem ok?

#2 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2007 - 04:19 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 28-08-07 AT 04:21 PM (GMT)]Hi Nicky

He looks very underweight. did you measure the under shell and not over the top? They dont like it but if you put him on top of a ruler and push hi, against a wall so his head goes in, mark where the shell by the tail is. (can see how to do this on t-lady site). Jacksons ratio is also on this site.

If he is still munching away outside then brilliant. You will find that about end of oct (weather permitting) he will stop/ slow down with eating, he may even bury himsef. Last yr i found one of my females about 1ft underground. this yr one of them has already started to bury but ive got her up and feeding now.

If poss you want to start wind down about end of oct. Yes put him in a tort table, this is ideal as long as you dont grow food in there :)

Just thought to add - if you have measured him right then he prob wont gain enough weight now before hibernation so you may have to over winter him but as i say look at the t-lady site (search on google) she gives a demonstration of how to measure

#3 Guest_nickyt_*

Guest_nickyt_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2007 - 04:59 PM

Hi Jade,

I used a tape measure but have remeasured the way you suggested and he is 14cm which looks a lot healthier on the ratio-phew, was a bit worried there for a minute as he seemed dreadfully under weight but panic over.
Thankyou for your advice,i will start to slow him down around october or earlier if he shows signs of not eating,mind you the weeds and flowers are going to seed so they are getting a bit thin on the ground.
its good to be back in touch with everyone again;)

take care

nicky

#4 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2007 - 11:52 AM

ah yes much better, bit of a porker :P some of mine are like this too. only got one underweight at the mo but hopefully he will be fine in acouple of months :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users