update on sick tortoise

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Francesca_*

Guest_Francesca_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2005 - 09:43 PM

I posted a while back about Rufus who appeared to be wheezing on occasion. I then took her to two separate vets, neither of whom put her on antibiotics despite her wheezing getting worse and more recently weight loss. Finally found a reputable reptile vet who has put her on antibiotics (0.5ml every other day by injection)- i think it's baytril. She had her first injection yesterday and has managed to eat something today. She continues to wheeze and seems quite low. In addition to the antibiotics, i have been giving her a couple of warm baths each day which seems to incease her alertness and activity levels. Is there anything else i should be doing? Also, one of the vets mentioned to me a reptile disinfectant solution, i think called F10. Has anyone heard of this and is it appropriate as enclosure cleaner to reduce the risk of reinfection???

Francesca

#2 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2005 - 08:46 AM

Hi Francesca,

Well done for finding a decent tort vet, they are few a far between . F10 is a very reputable disinfectant and is highly recommended for torts. The warm baths are a good idea also, even if she doesnt feel like eating (which you dont when your poorly), at least your making sure shes well hydrated. The only other thing I would suggest is to slightly increase the temp on her hot side, poorly animals need to bask longer to try and fight infection to keeping the temp up will help too.
Good luck and let us know how she gets on

#3 Guest_Francesca_*

Guest_Francesca_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2005 - 08:56 AM

Thanks Jo, i have increased the temp on the warm side of her enclosure and also since the weekend have been leaving the heat lamp on at night (on low around 23 degrees) as she seemed to wheeze more when she got cold. I shall get some F10 today and clean her enclosure. i was advised by one vet that a couple of drops of this disinfectant (or perhaps saline) in their nasal passage can assist in clearing some mucus. Is this appropriate to do? if so, is it ok to do in conjunction with the antibiotic injections i am giving her.

Francesca

#4 Guest_Honey_*

Guest_Honey_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2005 - 10:07 AM

Oh there is your post - sorry! Personally I would not introduce F10 to the torts nares but I am not a vet so don't know the resason for him telling you this. The tort needs constant heat wile on AB's around 28 degrees, but remember this is not appropriate once the infection is gone. With the heat increase also the mucous should dry up

#5 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2005 - 10:32 AM

Mmmmmmm, like Honey I havent heard of anyone putting F10 directly onto nares, always just used for disinfecting enclosures etc....but im not a vet either . Perhaps you could check out the 'list of vets' (link at top of page), if there are any in your area you could give them a call and ask a second opinion re the F10.
Keep us informed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users