hibernation

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_johnherman_*

Guest_johnherman_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2007 - 09:20 AM

HI

I have an 06 hermans hatchling, well at least that is what I was told at the pet shop, you all know how unreliable their advice can be. He is 67g and measures 63mm, he has a smooth shell. I only feed him on weeds and a bit of florette salad leaves, he is bathed 3/4 times a week all his bodily funtions seem normal, I've had him since March 07, he is brilliant and seems in a really good waking sleeping routine. He lives in a tort table and gets as much time outside as the weather allows.

My question is should he be hibernated this year or left till he is another year older, (more chance to put extra weight on)?

Any advice would be really welcome as I am a new comer to tortoise husbandry and wouldn't want to do him any harm, by the way I have emailed the Tort Trust for similar advice but havent heard back yet so thought I would ask you all, as there seems to be some good advice flying around on this forum. Thanks again Claire.

#2 Guest_j_langrish_*

Guest_j_langrish_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2007 - 12:37 PM

I'd hibinate him, if anything he's overweight. Some people say only do it for six weeks with little ones but as long as you weigh him regulary during hibination and his weight loss is acceptable I wouldn't worry. As long as he's been wormed that is. If anything I'd feed a bit less than you are doing so he loses a bit of that weight. If he were mine I would want the weight to be less than 60 prefarable lower 50's. JMO

Jason

#3 Guest_Jo_1984_*

Guest_Jo_1984_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2007 - 01:34 PM

I would hibernate him if hes healthy :-) :-)
Start by reading info from the tortoise trust... http://www.tortoiset...s/articles.html
They have loads of great articles that will help u out with winding down, hibernation methods etc!!
Jo x

#4 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2007 - 06:27 PM

yeah agree

babies can hibernate up to 12wks depending on how they go. you dont want to hibernate any shorter than 6wks

#5 Guest_johnherman_*

Guest_johnherman_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2007 - 06:31 PM

HI

thanks for your replies, just a couple of questions:-

When you say he is over weight are you basing that on his birth year or his length?

I have read the info on Tortoise Trust site re hibernation, they dont mention the fridge method, what do you all think of this method and has anyone tried it?

I am a bit worried as the two places I could put him, one the garage, its integral to my house, I think will be too warm and the second the shed I don't feel is secure enough from vermin.

Thanks

#6 Guest_Jo_1984_*

Guest_Jo_1984_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2007 - 12:10 PM

His weight seems perfect, checked him on the young tort jackson ratio... Heres the link if u wana take a look... http://upload4.posti...to_hosting.html

Would definately reccomend the fridge method, especially due to our crazy unpredictable weather we have been having!! :-)

Last year was only my second hibernation, we used the box method the year before fine. However last yr our tort wouldn't stay down, he would stretch his neck out and look at u, and always be in a different position when we checked on him. Luckily we had a spare fride in the garage, switched it on and monitered it for around 3 days, checkig 3-4 times per day that temps were stable. We got it to a perfect 5c and moved terry straight in there. It couldn't have gone better :) :) I also found I worried much less about him when he was in the fridge, as they generally loose less weight due to the stable temps.

The fridge door needs to be opended a couple of times a day for air, and temps checked daily but apart from that its fairly easy honest!! :-)

There was some great info on fridge hibernation somewhere, i'll try to find it and post the links later.

Jo x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users