slowing down

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_nickyt_*

Guest_nickyt_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2007 - 10:22 AM

I have noticed the last couple of days that Sheldon is slowing down and not really eating much. He hadnt even bothered to go to his bed the other night and was buried in the soilx(
Is it too early to hibernate as i was aiming for end of october or the winter will be a very long one.
It is getting a lot colder at night and not too warm in the day so would it be better to bring him back inside at night and only put him out on warm days?
Do i need to put his heat/uv lamp back on or would this confuse him?
Do i need to encourage him to keep feeding for a bit longer?

nicky;-)

#2 Guest_squirrelann_*

Guest_squirrelann_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2007 - 11:19 AM

I think a lot of people are having similar problems I am keeping mine awake with their lamp on for a while on cold mornings, this is in their outdoor houses and wakes them enough to come out and eat etc, without it they would be doing the same, I put them out in the sun if they haven,t come out by lunchtime but they are tucked up at night and have insulated houses if yours doesn,t then I would bring him in as the night temps are getting pretty low ( depends where you live) my houses hold the heat well and I,m hoping to leave them out for a few more weeks, I think the forecast says sun for a while so that will help I think its far to long to hibernate yet so would try to keep them awake.

#3 Guest_nickyt_*

Guest_nickyt_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2007 - 02:07 PM

Hi Squirrelann,

Thanks for the advice. The shelter outside isnt big enough to put heating in but his torty table is set up in the shed with a heat/uv lamp so will move him back in there tonight and put him out on nice days. Just dont want to confuse him, mind you we might get an indian summer yet, now that would confuse things:P
How long should i use the lamp for inside before starting to cool things down for him?

nicky

#4 Guest_squirrelann_*

Guest_squirrelann_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2007 - 02:59 PM

he doesn,t need any heat overnight just put it on for a while first thing in the morning enough to wake him and get him nice and warm before he goes outside, you are trying to mimic the morning sun, once he would be warm in the wild he would hide up for the hotest part of the day so putting him outside when he,s nice and warm and alert he should then eat and if it does get warm will find a place to sleep, you,ll have to see how long he needs to wake by trying it, if we do get a warm spell then he can stay outside again, its only when the night temps get below 10c that we need to do something but as the sun is so weak in the mornings now a little extra help doesn,t hurt, you don,t relly want to hibernate at least untill november so we have at least another month yet, my babies last year had 8 weeks at 1 year and I hope to go a little longer my adults a maximum of 14 so I want to keep them awake as long as poss so they don,t wake up to early, bearing in mind the 3-4week cooling period you can work out how much longer you need to keep them awake, I shall aim for the middle to end of november so mine will be awake untill middle october if I can manage it.

#5 Guest_nickyt_*

Guest_nickyt_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2007 - 08:25 PM

Thanks for the advice again. There is another thing, i was giving sheldon limestone flour and nutrobol earlier in the year until he was eating a healthy variety of plants and once outside in the sun permanently i stopped giving it to him, would it be a good idea to give it to him again on his food to make sure he is in tip top condition before hibernating or could this be harmful?

As you have probably gathered, i am really worried about getting the whole hibernation thingy wrong.

Jade has been really helpful with previous posts, thankyou jadums but more questions keep cropping up.....aaaaarrrgh.

nicky

#6 Guest_squirrelann_*

Guest_squirrelann_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2007 - 09:12 PM

I always go back to giving supplements as soon as they start comming in I think that when they are outside that they find enough nutrients in the soil, plants etc plus the natural sunlight when they lose that you have to substitute it with something else also the only time mine have ever shown any interest in cuttlefish is when they are inside so I think they are trying to tell me something., mine do have cuttlefish and limestone flour when they are out in the summer but show no interest in it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users