asking and finding questions on hibernation

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2007 - 08:09 PM

I have looked at sites and they give different views on hibernation,one says not to hibernate unless there plastron is over 1oomm,ii have been thinking off hibernating Hermie this year has he seems healthy and is slowing down but different views and also when friends also say they should not be hibernated at this age makes me keep thinking am i going to be doing the right for my little hermie as i want the best for him,i have been thinking off the end off october and using box method but also different sites give different information some say box and other sites say plastic.
what methods are other members using and when?
Jay and Hermie:D ;-)

#2 Guest_squirrelann_*

Guest_squirrelann_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2007 - 09:29 PM

in the wild the tort would hibernate from the first year, 8 weeks is about the right amount for youngsters and 14weeks the for adults, so if you think you want your tort to be down for the coldest months then you need to put hibernated off untill the latest time, allowing for a month to slow down etc our coldest month is january roughly and you don,t want your tort to wake to early, I used the box method in our brick shed last year but we had a warm spell and my babes woke earlier, they went down 10th Dec until the 29th jan which was 7 weeks and my adult spur 9th november to 19th feb 14.5 weeks, I hope to increase my babes who are now 2 a couple of weeks longer last year was thier first and mine but we came through safely, november was my slowing down for the babes and october for my adult, I found it was hard to get the temps down low enough in the garage so moved to the shed which was better, I had to put a low heater on if we had a spell of frost to keep the shed above 4c and moved them into a metal cabinet when it got warm, they were in 2 boxes an outer and inner but I,m going to try polystyrene ones this year as they might stay more constant I checked them most days and had several thermometers around the shed and in with them also watched the night forecasts etc so I wasn,t caught out by bad weather.

#3 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2007 - 06:15 PM

agree. i am goin gto do my hatchling this yr. possibly if you feel more comfortable wait until they are 1yrs old. but if they are healthy and correct weightt here is no reason for then not to hibernate

#4 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2007 - 06:43 PM

thanks squirrelann and Jade
when you see lots off different ideas from sites and also when some people say you do not hibernate under the plastron length off 100mm its great to hear your views when you have experience and i have none like you,from what you have both said i am now going to definately hibernate Hermie as he is four and healthy and he is slowing down,but did wake up late last night and seems out off routine,i suppose its the weather i take him outside when we get a burst off sunshine if he is not sleeping.
I am also thinking off the box method?do you insulate inbetween both boxes with polystrene and also can you use as small as a shoe box?
Jay and Hermie:D

#5 Guest_squirrelann_*

Guest_squirrelann_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2007 - 07:41 PM

I packed between boxes with shredded paper but I,m sure you could use polystyrene just make sure that there are plenty of air holes, my torts all went in boxes just big enough for them to turn around so my babes had a shoe box each and tootsie a bigger one, I don,t think you should put more than one per box because if the tort wees or poos then you have to wake them up as they will have lost the vital fluid needed to stop them from becomming dehydrated, if you had more than one in the box you wouldn,t know which one had messed, messing may be one of the reasons so many died in the past, maybe the owners didn,t check or didn,t wake the tort, you need to have somewhere to put your tort in case you have to wake him so don,t put everything away.

#6 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2007 - 05:08 PM

squirrelann,
thanks for your help i much appreciate it
Jay and Hermie:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users