hibernation

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_stealib_*

Guest_stealib_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2007 - 09:33 PM

Hi just a quick question we will be hibernating Fred for the first time this year as he was 1 in august can anyone tell me how long he should hibernate as I have read that when they are still young they should only hibernate for about 2 weeks but other places say that you should hibernate them for 8 to 12 weeks.Thanks for any help ;)

#2 Guest_Mich_*

Guest_Mich_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2007 - 10:22 PM

Please could someone help me out here aswell, I was told not to hibernate until they are approx. 3 yrs due to their weight etc. Also I was told that because nowdays we have heat lamps on the tort table there is no need to hibernate them as you can keep them warm, as they only hibernate in the wild because of the temp of the weather getting colder?

Mich

#3 Guest_pies_*

Guest_pies_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2007 - 08:12 AM

Hi,
We are hibernating our two for the first time this year also. They are 4 yrs old now. Our vet & all we have read says that they should only be hibernated if the weight is ok. When we had them checked out by the vet in the spring, the vet said Big 'un would be ok to hibernate this year, but Little 'un would have to be grow a little more. Well, they are both the same size & weight now, so they shouid be ok. I'm making an appointment with the vet just to be certain. I've been reading the tips on the Tortoise Trust site. I suggest you do the same. It's really helpfull.
[http://www.tortoiset...les/safer.html]

#4 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:53 PM

mich,i was told the same as you when i had hermi this may that not to worry about hibernation as he can be kept going with the heat and lights in his tabletop home but since i have been with this forum and been given lots off great advise and also looking on the tortoise trust site it has given me great help and so now i have considered hermi for hibernation but before i do i am going to birmingham as there are professionals that are giving good advise ready for hibernation this weekend so i will have him checked out as i dont know if hermi as ever been hibernated before,if you are not sure keep asking lots off question like me to put your mind at rest.:D
Jay and hermi:+

#5 Guest_ian130366_*

Guest_ian130366_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2007 - 03:27 PM

This will be the third hibernation for my two, they were born in 04 and we got them in april 05 their first hibernation that year was for 7 weeks, their second hibernation last year was for 10 weeks, we use the fridge method and check their weight weekly and expect them to lose about 1% of their weight per month, the hardest part for us is starving them for about 3 weeks prior to hibernation, they get well stroppy when the food doesnt turn up!
Hope this helps.

#6 Guest_Mich_*

Guest_Mich_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2007 - 07:30 PM

Thanks Jay,

But it is so worrying as they are just one year old now and I really don't know what to do. They are still eating and behaving as normal ie. not slowing down. Enjoying the heat on the tort table and having their usual bath. I will certainly keep reading up on hibernation.

Mich

#7 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2007 - 10:17 PM

if hibernating torts have to go through a 3-4wk wind down (starvation) period. the time depends on the size of the tort. a smaller tort only needs a 3wk wind down. After this wind down there is no point hibernating a tort for only 2wks. it will be of more stress to the tort and so cause more harm then good. you should hibernate for amin of 6wks but babies can go up to 12wks you just need to keep a very close eye on them. aim for 8wks and see hwo they are then.

Best substrate for babies is soil/sand mix as it gives them a much better protection from the elements. I spoke to andy highfield about this and he said that I should hibernate my baby in about 1kg of soil/sand mix. I hope this helps :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users