sexing torts

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_anna5471_*

Guest_anna5471_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2007 - 08:41 AM

hi guys can any one tell me how to sex a tort as i have two, one bigger than other but both supposedly the same age, hubby bought from a garden center for xmas for me. they live together in a tort table that hubby made by dismantling the viv he had been sold with them and they love it on their soil n sand substrate. but getting back to sexing them i read somewhere that one way to tell the sex was the plastron at the tail end is shaped differently in male and female ie; the males is more pointed whereas the females in rounder to allow the eggs to come out can anyone tell me if this is true and also how old torts are before you can sex them properly.

thanx guys

:P

#2 Guest_lorrylou_*

Guest_lorrylou_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:30 PM

Hi its very difficult to tell unless your torts are at least 5 years old. If you post pics of the back underside soemone will have a go at sexing them I'm sure.

#3 Guest_pixiemoon_*

Guest_pixiemoon_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2007 - 01:15 PM

could anyone help with sexing mine please?He/she is 4..I feel it is a boy but of course its only a guess.
any help appreciated.thanks!

#4 Guest_ellie_*

Guest_ellie_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2007 - 10:48 PM

Hi

From what i have learned id say the bottom pic is a boy. But as you know its a big guess at the moment.

El

Ps...Good shell, no lumps or bumps.!!

#5 Guest_pixiemoon_*

Guest_pixiemoon_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2007 - 01:04 PM

AAAh thanks Ellie x

#6 Guest_Jo_1984_*

Guest_Jo_1984_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2007 - 01:37 PM

With a tail like that i'd say male also :-)
Jo x

#7 Guest_Jo_1984_*

Guest_Jo_1984_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2007 - 01:42 PM

Sorry anna for got to say, you can tell by the way the torts scutes above the tail are shaped. If you look at the pic above, as well as the long tail the scutes above make a wide v shape. With females this is normally closer together... If you have two the same sex its hard to figure out what sex they are, im having that problem with mine at the mo but they are only two so I will have to wait a couple of years yet before I know their sex.
Its more about size than age, if a tort has been grown very quickly, with poor diet etc you may be able to tell the sex early, but if the tort has grown nice and slowly, you can't be sure til around 4 or 5. years of age :)
Hope this helps!!
How old are your torts? If you post a pic we may be able to help you sex them...
Jo x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users