hibernate or not

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_gactap2_*

Guest_gactap2_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2007 - 12:25 PM

hi guys sorry to post again i'm not sure whether to hibernate matilda or not she is 11.2 cms and 231g which on the jacksons ratio is slightly above low weight and ive not been starving her yet. She's eaten lots over the summer so don't know why she is still under weight although her weight has improved since i got her any advice?
cheers claire and matilda xx

#2 Guest_squirrelann_*

Guest_squirrelann_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2007 - 01:57 PM

if you feel happy and she's healthy and has no problems then its entirely up to you, but if she's slowing down, stopping eating etc then its hard to stop them hibernating themselves, if you decide to overwinter her then you need to keep the lights and heating as in the summer hours and start now before she slows herself down, once she stops eating herself its hard to get their appetite back.

#3 Guest_gactap2_*

Guest_gactap2_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2007 - 05:44 PM

thanks for your reply she is starting to slow down eating very little and sleeping more. i got her last feb and she's never hibernated before she seems healthy enough how about if i just did a short hibernation?

#4 Guest_squirrelann_*

Guest_squirrelann_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2007 - 12:23 PM

6 - 8 weeks is the minimum anything less than that isn't worth it, you could aim for the coldest months say dec and jan, if you decided on that then aim to start slowing her down begining of november,gradually reducing the heat, light and food over a couple of weeks then she will need about 3 weeks of no food but still bathing her etc before hibernation, if you use a timer its easy to change the setting say by 1/2 hour a day, when shes ready she will be more or less asleep and not comming out, keep the baths short and not to warm so as to make her active and one last bath before you box her up, she needs to not be pooing ( have an empty gut) but stills needs the fluid the last bath will ensure that her bladder is full this is what her body will use during hibernation, she must be regulary checked during the hibernation as if she does poo or wee then you will have to wake her up as she will have got rid of those vital reserves you don't need to move her during these checks as you will notice if she's been restless etc and keep the checks short and quite so as not to disturb her more than you have to, she may move when you do check but thats normal.

#5 Guest_gactap2_*

Guest_gactap2_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2007 - 03:39 PM

thats great thanks xxx

#6 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2007 - 10:26 AM

Here's a really good step-by-step guide to hibernation. If you have a smaller tortoise, then you can still do the four week wind down schedule, but make it five day weeks (i.e. five weeks of four days = 20 days)
http://www.thetortoisehouse.com/

Nina
http://pets.groups.y...rotectionGroup/

#7 Guest_gactap2_*

Guest_gactap2_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2007 - 11:56 AM

and so i feed her normally for three days a week before syarvation thanks for the link x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users