Can you still hibernate..

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2007 - 02:57 PM

If you have a tort that is slightly underweight but not drastically so, and is otherwise ok health wise, would it still be ok to hibernate for the minimum 6 - 8 wks in jan/feb?

#2 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2007 - 10:21 AM

I would have thought it is OK if the tort is only slightly underweight. After all, the Jackson Ratio - if you're using that - is just meant to be a guide - not something fixed in stone. And I've also read that the shape of an individual tortoise (it might be more domed or have flared scutes at the back - can throw off the calculations.

Nina
http://pets.groups.y...rotectionGroup/

#3 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2007 - 05:49 PM

Thanks Nina, her shell is 'lumpy' (due to previous bad diet before breeder knew better :P ) and it also seem slightly flatter than my other Hermanns shell which (is smooth) and more rounder/dome shaped. I've attached a photo (hopefully!) Frank is the smaller rounded one and tallulah is the larger one taken from above.

I'm gonna leave it a bit longer before I hibernate her - maybe Dec/Jan and just do a 6 - 8wk one (unless she up's her weight then I'll do it for longer.) With Frank I'm going to do from mid Nov to March same as last year.

She still doesn't seem to be eating though but I will persevere - just done a reptiboost bath so will see how she goes....

Thanks for your advice (and subsequent re-assurance! Blimey! Don't know why I'm putting myself through this all over again!! I had just got confident with Frank and then go and get another one and am now reduced to a quivering wreak!!! :P )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users