first time hibernation

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_joanne5848_*

Guest_joanne5848_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2007 - 05:52 PM

Hi,

my tortoise is about 2 years old, weighs 88g and is 7cm in length. i would like to hibernate him this winter and have researched a lot about it. however there are a couple of queries that i would like help with. the first being, is Toby a good weight to hibernate? i don't really understand the Jacksons ratio and so i'm unsure on this. i've also read that whilst starving the tortoise prior to hibenation it become ravenous and can sometimes eat the subtrate. Toby's substrate in auboise, is this safe to use during the starvation period?

i am thinking of hibernating Toby during December, January and february doign the fridge method. this is his first hibernation and so is this period long enough for him?

any advice would be really appreciated, thank you

Joanne

#2 Guest_squirrelann_*

Guest_squirrelann_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:03 PM

as you will be slowely reducing the heat as well then your tort will be naturally less active, I will be starting the beginnig of november with my 2 year olds, putting the heat lamp on slightley later say every other day and turning it of earlier at the same time reducing the amount of food that 1st week so at the end of the week they will then be having nothing, if your heat lamp is on a timer it makes it a bit easier otherwise you just have to remember they will be waking later and going to sleep earlier with the aim that at the end of the 4 weeks they won't be comming out, they still need the baths but not so long and not so warm as to make them active, there is good wind down info on shelled warriors or the TT site.

#3 Guest_joanne5848_*

Guest_joanne5848_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2007 - 08:00 PM

hi,

i will also be winding toby down about the same time. i am going to try the fridge method, but one concern is when would i transfer him to his box and then into the fridge. would i do this whilst he is sleeping at night so he doesn't wake up? or will he automatically know that it is time to hibernate as soon as he he put in the fridge due to the temperature drop?

thanks

joanne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users