hibernation

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_u01nfa5_*

Guest_u01nfa5_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2007 - 07:25 PM

Hi, I turned on the drinks chiller fridge I was going to be using for tommy's hibernation, but for some reason the temp is going away down to -4 degrees!obviously this isn't suitable but I cant use my main fridge as it is being used by my 3 other flat mates!any suggestions round this problem?

natalie xx

p.s i cant use the box method really, as temps in scotland are a bit too temperamental and I wouldnt have much peace of mind.

#2 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2007 - 09:52 PM

I used my one of these last year and although it flucterated slighty it was ok but I put it on a few weeks ago and have had trouble stablising it. Temps have ranged from -5 to +7! (I thought this were designed not to freeze (or incapable of freezing)by the way???) So, after looking everywhere for a cheep fridge (of which none could be found!) I have ended up getting a new one from Argos!!! Don't tell the old man though!!!!!!! :P

I felt it was better to be safe than sorry as one of my torts is on the low-weight side so I need to make sure the temps are as stable as poss.

#3 Guest_Jo_1984_*

Guest_Jo_1984_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2007 - 10:41 PM

Found this from TT on helping to stabilize temps....

To maximize temperature stability within the refrigerator, then, it is preferable to introduce extra mass within the unit. One easy way to do this is to fill some 2 litre plastic drinks bottles with water, seal them, and position these to fill ‘dead’ space. This will add considerably to the mass within the refrigerator, and hence will dramatically improve overall temperature stability.

Hope this helps a bit... Heres the link to the article if u fancy a read http://www.tortoiset...efrigerator.htm.

My temps in my fridge were quite stable last yr, however i just found out the fridge should not be in a garage so may have to change that!!!

Jo x

#4 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2007 - 07:52 PM

Hi Jo,

I tried that and it didn't work. I can only assume that the chiller fridge was on its way out - I bought it 2nd hand last year.

My new one came today - a larder fridge - so I shall try and get that one sorted in time for the weekend. It is currently in our side 'room' (like a leanto attached to the side of the house but the doorways in our dining room) so I shall keep an eye on the temps in there and if it gets too cold I can slide the fridge into the dining room.

#5 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2007 - 11:17 PM

I had a drink chiller fridge and it took me forever to find out that it had a dial at the back by the gas bottle. the higher the number the lower the temps. took a while to stabilise but this made a huge difference

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users