First-time Fridge hibernation blues

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Danyoru_*

Guest_Danyoru_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2007 - 05:01 PM

Hi, everybody.

Haven't used this site for a while but I've noticed that quite a lot of you guys are having trouble with hibernation.
I've had my two baby Hermanns' for 3 years now but this is the first time I've hibernated them.

The first year they were hibernated by the breeder, second year we left it too late and last year they contracted worms, so this is our first year of fridge hibernation!

We're a bit stuck though, as we put them in the fridge in a tub of substrate (50% compost/50% play sand)last Sunday and they still havent really settled. One of them is in a semi-comatose state but has not buried itself in the substrate(I just dug a hole for her myself and loosely covered her with compost)and the other one is still on the top of the substrate and peering out the fridge!

Should I take them out of the fridge if this activity persists much longer?

Would be grateful for any help,

Thanks.

Danny

#2 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2007 - 07:16 PM

Hi, has the fridge got a glass door?? If so try covering it. Mine wouldn't settle last year and I got so fustrated and upset seeing him moving around I chucked a towel over the door and I jest ye not.... he settled down!!!!! I think its cos the light coming on in the room and also the movements that he could see were disturbing him.

As for burying..they don't always bury down, some do some dont. Same as some will tuck their legs/head in and others dont.

Give it a go.... it might work.... (they might not settle straight away but should in a day or two - mine did settle pretty quickly)

#3 Guest_Jo_1984_*

Guest_Jo_1984_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2007 - 08:10 PM

Mine don't bury down either, they have been in the garage the last few days before they go in the fridge, one of them went under the tunnel, the other just went to the corner of their enclosure didn't even bother trying to bury in the hemp.
My older hermann will also be going into the fridge tomorrow, had his last bath today, he had a nice long drink and no wee, so far so good :-)
What are your temps in the fridge? If they have their eyes open it mite be a little warm...
Jo x

#4 Guest_Danyoru_*

Guest_Danyoru_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2007 - 02:27 PM

It's funny because the one that isn't sleeping is at a much lower temperature than the one that is!

The one that is comatose has lost no weight whatsoever whereas the one that is still awake has lost about 15 grams over the past week.

Should I take him out of hibernation?

#5 Guest_Jo_1984_*

Guest_Jo_1984_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2007 - 05:37 PM

If hes lost 15 grams in the last week he has been in the fridge I would be very concerned- Are there any signs he has had a poo or a wee? If you think he may have had a wee, I would take him out.
Mine went in the fridge yesterday... My adult and one of my babies were fine, but one of my little ones wouldn't settle either so im gona keep a close eye on him... Its a constant 5 so hopefully he won't take long to settle although it is his first hibernation so hes probably wondering whats going on :)
Jo x

#6 Guest_lorrylou_*

Guest_lorrylou_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2007 - 03:27 PM

Hi

yes I think that 15g a week in the fridge is not right at all. This suggests a lot of activity and/or your tort has peed. If the temps are in the right range you wouldn't normally expect to see an amount of activity to cause such a loss in weight.

If you decide to keep this tort in the fridge you might want to keep monitorting the weight and be prepared to end the hibernation at short notice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users