Fridge Hibernation

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_johnherman_*

Guest_johnherman_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2007 - 11:19 AM

HI everyone

Not been on for a while but would just like to see if anyone else has experience their tortoise pooing during hibernation, I have heard of it from Dawn another tortoise lover on this site. John has done a poo today and he is three days into his hibernation in the fridge, no wees, little bit nervous so just thought I would come on here and see if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks

Claire

#2 Guest_lorrylou_*

Guest_lorrylou_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2007 - 07:31 PM

Hi Claire , I haven't had this happen but I believe that its OK, as the food matter would have been really far along the gut anyway, but its best of course that the system is empty. As long as your pet was starved for long enough with the heat and light stil on he should be OK.

#3 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2007 - 09:52 PM

hi

yes better out then in :P one of my boys did it on the first week too. try and clear up as much as poss without waking te tort :P

#4 Guest_squirrelann_*

Guest_squirrelann_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2008 - 03:33 PM

pooing is fine its passing urine that is any problem then the tort has to be waken as it'll lost its vital water surply.

#5 Guest_Jo_1984_*

Guest_Jo_1984_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:32 PM

Checked on mine today 4 weeks into hibernation and one of them had done a poo, one week ago today he was 172g and today he was 168g. I panicked a bit and checked if he had a wee too but thank god he hadn't. I'm thinking about sticking to a 6 week hibernation as its my babies first time but then again maybe im jus worryin bit too much and should let them have around 8 weeks...
I was advised to hibernate torts for 6 weeks if they have not been hibernated before, but somewhere else I read aim for at least 8 weeks, what does everyone think of this?
Jo x

#6 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2008 - 12:32 AM

Hi Jo,

I would say if you can get him to have 8 weeks hibernation go for it. If not, or you don't feel happy then go with gut instinct and wake him up after 6 weeks.

I wouldn't do any less than this (unless of course your tort wee's - in which case you must get them up)if it can be avoided.

I'm hibernating two torts that I haven't done before (because I only got them this year)and one of them (my 8 yr old) is underweight (but healthy!!!) so is having as long as her weight remains safe for her to do so - so far she's done 8 weeks and I'm hoping to get at least another couple out of her, but her health comes first! The other is having 10 -12 weeks as he is only 2yrs old. My 6yr old who I hibernated last year is doing a 'full' hibernation - 5 mths.

Good luck ;-)

#7 Guest_Jo_1984_*

Guest_Jo_1984_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:33 PM

Thanks for that :) If their weight continues to drop steadily, Im gona stick to the original 8 week hibernation plan :) In the mean time I can start thinking about new enclosues etc!!
Jo x

#8 Guest_Highlight_*

Guest_Highlight_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2008 - 01:11 PM

:) Hi to everyone, I have a male Hermann Tortoise (hatched in 2005) have had him just over a year and he is in very good health, a little over the top line on the Jackson's Ratioa Graph. Taken advice from our very good reptile vet who told me that it wasn't critical when I hibernate "our chap" so have been working up to hibernate him now for approx. one month. Have decided on fridge hibernation to maintain a constant temperature, have stared him for 3 weeks and have been bathing him daily. I feel really guilty about the prospect of putting him a fridge, have read up well on the subject to ensure as far as possible that I'm doing everything right. Jake (tortoise) has been in the cooledst room in the house for a while which has a temperature of 60 degrees F, I have gradually wound down his light which no longer comes on now and he is sleepy and very inactive, my concern is that the drop from 60 to 40 degrees in the fridge to bigger drop? Can anyone help please?

Helen of Leicestershire

#9 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2008 - 11:25 PM

Hi Helen,

Have you got somewhere that is slightly colder, maybe 10 degrees c. I moved mine from inside the house to my lean-to that was around 10 degrees. Or if you put him lower to the floor obviously not in a draft though. Maybe if you've got a concrete floored room??? A shed, outhouse or garage??? They would be ok whilst there's no frost about.

I have heard of people putting them straight into the fridge from a cooler room temperature and it didn't seem to do any harm

Hope this helps (a bit...;-) )

#10 Guest_Highlight_*

Guest_Highlight_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2008 - 12:10 AM

Thanks so much Dawn,

Really appreciate it, we love Jack so much, have just put him in the conservatory, it has a heater buts get chillier than anywhere else in the house. Will find a better solution to cool him down for a few more days and then the fridge looms. He is a heffty lad! Bought him from a pet shop, would never do that again, but thankfully have a really good reptile vet in the area and got rid of the worms and took him back and was told "he is very well, all new shell growth really good and to keep on doing more of the same" the vet has a tortoise, that's a good thing. :-)

You have helped me considerably, thanks

Helen

#11 Guest_lorrylou_*

Guest_lorrylou_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2008 - 06:08 PM

Hi Helen

from my own admittedly limited experience I would say you are doing things right here and I wouldn't worry about a drop from 60F to 40F as this is something that tortoises in the wild would encounter. I've certainly done similar with no apparent problems.

#12 Guest_Highlight_*

Guest_Highlight_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:14 PM

Hi to all again

Many thanks to those that have responded, it means a lot. Jake went into the fridge on 8th January, his weight then was 273g, today at 4pm I got him out to weight him as I'm a "worried Mum" not having done this before, he weighed in at 268g which represents a weight loss of 1.8% Bothered, but put him back in the fridge as I don't want this to be a meaningless exercise and think he is ok now, actually I think he would have welcomed some grub haven been got out :9

Any comments very welcome thanks!

Helen

#13 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2008 - 11:46 PM

Hi Helen,

I wouldn't be overally bothered about the weight. You seem to be happy with how its going and thats the main thing - if you're happy to continue then do so. As for weight here;s what my little shelled friends have been up to...

Frank - went in fridge, 6/11/7, weight 306g - weight now 299g
Tally - went in fridge, 6/11/7, weight 555g - weight now 544g
Archie- went in fridge, 23/12/7 weight 127g - weight now 126g

so it does vary. They do tend to lose more in their first week or two as they move around a bit to settle, but it should slow down. Mine have lost an average of a gram each a week - except Archie who obviously must have sucked in air (or needs to fart!) cos he lost a gram last week and put it back on this week!!!! LOL!!! :7

Just double check he hasn't wee'd though! If he has, get him up straight away...

Good luck x

#14 Guest_Highlight_*

Guest_Highlight_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2008 - 06:16 PM

Hi all

It's Helen from Leicester again! We are now one week into fridge hibernation, all is well as far as I know but I am concerned that Jake was 273g in weight when he went into the fridge, a week on her is 268g - a loss of 1.8% of his body weight.

Any thoughts on this please, I don't want to "press the panice button" and get him out if he's ok, but obviously need to get him out if it isn't ok. All comments / thoughts very welcome.

Thanks

#15 Guest_Highlight_*

Guest_Highlight_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2008 - 11:44 PM

Thanks Dawn

I'm new to hibernation and am nervous about it, I will take your advice, it is what I know to be correct, I suppose I just need other people who have torts to reassure me, it is one thing reading things and getting vets advice, but when you are actually on the spot and thinking "If I mess up here it will be terrible" then that really does concentrate the mind. :)

Helen

#16 Guest_Highlight_*

Guest_Highlight_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2008 - 12:04 AM

:-)Hi all especially Dawn

All is going well, weighed Jack today and he has only lost 1g in the last 10 days, not hibernating him for long in accordance with what I have read and the advice from the vet, our daughter was back from Uni the first time we took him out of the fridge to weight him and cried out that he was dead! Horrible, he wasn't of course but I suppose this is what one comes against the first time round . . .

Helen of Leicester

#17 Guest_lorrylou_*

Guest_lorrylou_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2008 - 06:52 PM

Hi Helen

I read that some can loose up to 10% of their weight during hibernation although if that happened I might panic personally but I don't think that 1.8% is a concern.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users