Weeing during hibernation

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ian130366_*

Guest_ian130366_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2008 - 01:39 PM

We put our two torts down for hibernation on 16th dec. when checked today, one of them has done a poo and on the tissue they are on, there is a moisture stain that looks like some moisture has come too -can't work out if this is moisture from the poo or a wee. It's quite a big mark though and their poos are normally quite dry. Should we get them up?

#2 Guest_Highlight_*

Guest_Highlight_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2008 - 05:01 PM

Hi there

I'm not claiming to be an expert, I have a hermann who is in hibernation right now and if I were in your position I would get him up if there is any chance he / she has had a wee. This is based upon information from the Tortoise Trust, my very good reptile vet and reading books about it. It seems to me that it is better to go for safety if there is any doubt and the safest as far as I can tell is to wake up.

There may be more experienced folks out there who would say different and I respect any view with reasons. What does everyone else think here?

I wish you luck and think you will be very unlucky if it doesn't turn out well, you obviously care so that counts for loads.

Helen of Leicester

#3 Guest_lorrylou_*

Guest_lorrylou_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2008 - 01:24 PM

Hi

yes I agree with Helen, though I'm not an expert either.

The usual advice is that if a tortoise has urinated he must be woken and after that kept going all winter, as the liquid in the bladder is all they have available. Tortoises are able to access the liquid in the bladder during times of need which is somehitng us mere mammals cannot do. A hibernating tort will often access this liquid and may suffer severe de-hydration if he cannot.

What I do is to place each tort in his own sandwich box in the fridge then if one of them pee's I don't have to get everyone up.

Best wishes whatever you do but I would get them up.

#4 Guest_Jo_1984_*

Guest_Jo_1984_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:15 PM

Yea I agree, better to be safe than sorry :)
Jo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users