taken out of hibernation - worried about him

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_lorcan 2006_*

Guest_lorcan 2006_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2008 - 09:51 PM

Hi, i took Lorcan out of hibernation after 4 weeks as he was lossing alot of weight. he is back in his indoor house but he he is always sleeping, and hardly eating at all. He has put on weight but im not sure how as he only eats when i hand feed him and he doesn't eat alot - where as before he was quite greedy and fed himself. He has heat and uv light which is on at least 10hrs per day but he prefers to stay in his hide where he is not benefitting from much heat or any uv. Can any one give me advise on what i can do or if that is normal.
Thankyou:'(

#2 Guest_Jo_1984_*

Guest_Jo_1984_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:11 PM

Hiya,
Aww poor thing. I would bathe him daily for around 20 mins to make sure he is nice and hydrated. Personally I would also take him to a reccomeneded tortoise vet to get him checked out.
What are your temps?
Jo

#3 Guest_lorrylou_*

Guest_lorrylou_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2008 - 11:04 PM

Hi

I also suggest a visit to a vet. You were right to stop the hibernation as somehting was not right if a lot of weight was being lost. Meantime make sure your temps are well up, don't alow the tort to go to a cold area as he may attempt to resume hibernation. I would keep the nightime temp a bit higher than usual as well and make sure there is plenty of bright light during the day and UV.

I weigh my torts frequently and I've found that the weight can go up and down quite a bit. Losing lot of weight in hibernation is a serious worry, but depending on the age and weight of the tort there may be signficant reserves. Lots of people find their tort slows down a lot in the winter if they are being kept up.

Please do let us know how you get on

#4 Guest_Highlight_*

Guest_Highlight_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2008 - 05:06 PM

Hi there!

I agree with the two replies you have received, losing a lot of weight is potentially very serious, well worth a trip to the vets especially with the other points in your message. You won't be happy 'till you go in any case I bet. The advice on hydration and temperature is sound, totally agree.

Hope you get on well and wish you all the best :)

Helen of Leicester

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users