Fridge hibernation problem.....

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tortcrazy_*

Guest_tortcrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2008 - 06:40 PM

Hi all,
This is the first time I have been onto the forum in quite a while...

Both our torts have been in the fridge for 4 weeks and I checked on them for the first time & weighed them as well (should have done this earlier....but we have all been really ill, including our 13month old).

When checking on them, there was quite a lot of poo that needed to be cleared but not much wee. When they had been weighed, Wilma the female seems to have lost quite a lot more weight than before (pre-winddown = 279g; pre-fridge = 245g; 4 week weight = 227g). The Jackson ratio i calculate to be .171.

Both had a 4 week wind-down period & I am worried that perhaps, I may have to get Wilma up proper, due to the weight-loss. They both had a brief cold water bath, then dried & are now back in the fridge.

Would appreciate any advice, Peter

#2 Guest_lorrylou_*

Guest_lorrylou_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2008 - 09:35 PM

The Tortoise Trust always say that if there has been any wee it's best to wake the tortoise up because of the danger of dehydration.

Also the total amount of weight lost since the start of wind down is nearly 20% which does seem like quite a lot.

Someone with more experience than me will comment and be more useful.
Hope it goes well whatever you decide.
Ozric

#3 Guest_Highlight_*

Guest_Highlight_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2008 - 12:28 AM

Hi Peter

I think that there is no question but to get any tort out in this situation, I am not an experienced owner but have read as much as I can about our torts. This is potentially very serious, real danger of dehydration and the weight loss is far too much, I agree with what has already been written 100%. I'm lucky at the moment that our Jack is stable, but I would have him out of hibernation if I were faced with what you are up against and I would do it NOW.

Helen of Leicester

#4 Guest_Jo_1984_*

Guest_Jo_1984_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2008 - 06:02 PM

It does seem they have lost quite a bit of weight, also with what you said about them having a wee I would certainly get them out. What are your temps in the fridge?
Jo x

#5 Guest_tortcrazy_*

Guest_tortcrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2008 - 05:59 PM

Hi, thanks for all your replies - apologies for the delay in posting an update!

On your advice, I got Wilma out quickly. When I opened the fridge door, she was wide awake facing me....and for the first time ever, she squeaked at me to get my attention!

She is OK now, has been taking on water (as she has wee'd since) & is eating OK.

A bit disappointed & not really sure what went wrong, as we followed all the rules.

Oh, the fridge temperature I try to keep between 3-5 degrees, but it did take some time for the temp to stabilise (early on, it was upto just under 7 degrees). The one thing I did differently, was not to cool down their soil tray early enough....

Will the shorted hibernation cause any problems, & will I have to do anything different for the rest of the year with her?

Peter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users