• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_GeorgieGal_*

Guest_GeorgieGal_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:09 PM

Hi all,;)
Pip won't eat anyhting and it has been to long.:(
I gave him a variety of different foods, and he started to eat some lettuce, but didn't in the end.:(
He is in a cage with two guineu pigs, but before he wouldn't eat, so that can't be the reason.
Sometimes i leave him out over night for a few nights, as i don't want him stuffed in a cage with to growing guineu pigs.;)
I read on this site that, tortoises eat better if in the sun, so i did that and thats when he started to eat the lettuce, but stopped and wanted to go over in the shade burried under bark by the trees.
I didn't weigh him after hibernation, i just put him outside as i knew he would start eating that day or the next.x(
If you want i can weigh him tomorrow and tell you his weight ( i bet it's scary, and too low :'()
Please help as i am really worried.:'( x( :-( :'( x( :-(
Thanks for listening

Georgia
xxxxxxx:'( x( :-( :'( x( :-(

#2 Guest_English Rose_*

Guest_English Rose_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2008 - 10:49 PM

Its not just you im afriad...... Im having the same problem.

I cant get mine to stay awake let alone eat anything. Im getting rather concerned myself.
Ive tried feeding him but he just walks over the food and heads back to his bed.

#3 Guest_Mich_*

Guest_Mich_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2008 - 12:03 AM

Georgia,
Isnt it too cold yet to be leaving him out overnight?
Has he a heatlamp as temps are still low. The heat will help him to heat I think.
Have you only now introduced him to the other pets, as I have read in the past that they should not be kept with rabbits because they might eat their poo and catch worms.
Another suggestion is, why not spoil him and hive him some grape, melon etc. just to encourage him.
Aw! Good luck

Mich

#4 Guest_Jo_1984_*

Guest_Jo_1984_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2008 - 10:20 AM

Is he still in a cage with guinea pigs? If he is he needs to be taken out and given his own home.
Torts cannot live with guinea pigs, as well as trying to nibble him, he may also be filling up on guinea pig poo as many torts will eat it if given the chance.
Does he have a basking lamp and uv light? He may also need baths daily while he is not eating.
Jo

#5 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2008 - 10:55 AM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 02-04-08 AT 10:56 AM (GMT)]Hi Georgia,

Mmmmmm, ok, if I was you here's what I would do.....

1. Seperate your tortie from the guinea pigs immediatly! This is a definate no-no

2. At the moment it is still far too cold to be leaving Pip out at night UNLESS he has heat outside - temps are still way below 10 degrees at night - hibernation temps!

3. Has Pip got access to heat & UV indoors, my guess is he hasn't as I'm sure the guinea pigs wouldn't tolerate this

4. Do not try and tempt Pip to eat with fruit - you will only give him an upset tummy - try using floretti salad (bagged salad available from supermarkets) if you need to give anything other than weeds.

5. Give him daily warm baths - this will at least keep him hydrated.

6. Torts can go ages without eating - believe me I know - my tort has only just started eating after 6 months - and no, she wasn't in hibernation all this time

7. Another concern is Post-Hibernation Aneroxia - basically its when they don't eat after coming out of hibernation. This would need to be ruled out as it can be fatal if not sorted. How did you bring him out? If you don't want to say on here PM me and we'll get little Pip sorted - in the meantime try this;

Action plan; get Pip into his own cage, with heat and UV bulbs. Make sure you have the heat at 30 - 35 degrees at the hot end and 20 - 25 degrees at the cool end. During the night time he can just have the cage at room temperature. Bath him daily in warm baths and keep putting those weeds in front of him. He should eventually start to eat. His non-eating will be down to either stress (being with the furry things :7), lack of heat (they are cold blooded and need heat to arouse them) or illness (not necessary anything bad).

My tort has just come back from a weeks stay at a vets due to non-eating! She hadn't eaten since September - we're not sure why, she's healthy apart from having lots of small stones/gravel in her tummy, but after a weeks intense treatment of extra heat and syringe feeding, she has come back a healthier weight and now eating...

Try this and see what happens - it certainly won't do any harm as it's the 'correct husbandry' for a tortoise - and may save you unecessary vet bills BUT if after trying the above he still doesn't eat and was hibernated PLEASE get him to a vets asap to rule out illness.

Hope I haven't offended you - its just as soon as I read your post I could see what the main problem is - husbandry.

What's Pips weight, length, age etc? It would be interesting to see.

Good luck Georgia xx

#6 Guest_GeorgieGal_*

Guest_GeorgieGal_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:43 PM

Hi,
Ok, i am putting him in a crate/cage in the day in my side shed which its hottest point 100 degrees, but at the moment i think it is 70 degrees (25) at your lowest end.
At night i will put it in my utility room which is room tempature.
i will put weeds in there and see how it goes.
i am not allowed to get a lamp or UV or anything as my mum wont let me, she says the shed is hot enough.
when i brought pip out of hibernation, i put him staight outside on his own, and at night i put him in a cage of his own, then i started leaving him out or in.x(
i hope this helps

georgia
xxxxxxx

#7 Guest_pies_*

Guest_pies_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2008 - 04:46 PM

Hi,
Ok, i am putting him in a crate/cage in the day in my side shed which its hottest point 100 degrees, but at the moment i think it is 70 degrees (25) at your lowest end.
At night i will put it in my utility room which is room tempature.
i will put weeds in there and see how it goes.
i am not allowed to get a lamp or UV or anything as my mum wont let me, she says the shed is hot enough.
when i brought pip out of hibernation, i put him staight outside on his own, and at night i put him in a cage of his own, then i started leaving him out or in.x(
i hope this helps

georgia
xxxxxxx

Tortoises do not absorb ambient heat very well at all. It's the way they are made!
Your Pip needs UV & Heat lamp.
Please ask your Mum to read this.
Don't want to cause trouble Mum. Pip can't warm enough to consume or digest food properly even in a warm room. Can Pip have a UV/heat lamp please?

Pies

#8 Guest_pies_*

Guest_pies_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2008 - 04:36 PM

Some good & comprehensive advice there Dawn. You very nearly wrote a book!:)
Follow Dawn's instructions & you won't go far wrong.

#9 Guest_Jo_1984_*

Guest_Jo_1984_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:18 PM

Have you got anything for the time being you could use to warm him up, desk lamp maybe? If you use one with a 60- 100watt bulb could provide a temporary basking lamp, like dawn said you need to increase his body temp for him to even think about eating, otherwise he will just want to hide away :)
Jo

#10 Guest_GeorgieGal_*

Guest_GeorgieGal_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:42 PM

Hi
Thanks for the tips.
My mum said we can get a lamp/UV, but she asked'do you have to keep t on 24/7?'
If so then 'no'.
what is the difference between a UV and lamp?
When I get one, how do you get it to the tempature you want?
Is there a button?

Georgia
xxxxxxx

#11 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:55 PM

Hi Georgia,

Me again :7 I'll try not to write too long this time ;-)

First of all - well done you for giving Pip his own little palace!

For heat you can use a normal desk lamp;

This one's in Ryness which is a high street electrical shop.
http://www.ryness.co...&productID=1439

Argos do one for 2.98 http://www.argos.co....3EDESK LAMP.htm
BUT it only takes a 40 watt bulb whereas Ryness one takes a 60 watt.

Bulbs;
http://www.ryness.co...1&productID=561
(Or obviously a 40watt one for the Argos lamp)

This needs to be a minimum of 12" above the tort - you would need to check the temps - too hot higher it, too low, lower it..

He also needs a UV lamp - again you can get one of those lamps and get the Arcardia bulb;

https://reptilekeepi...products_id=623
(Im sure you can shop around - you may get it slightly cheeper)

Unfortunatley Heat & UV are two things you cannot go without - it will cost you more in the long run (vet's bills!)

Now I promised I wouldn't write an essay this time but....

When you bought Pip out of hibernation did you warm him up? Did you bath him as soon as he woke? These again are essential things to do on waking from hibernation - if not your tort will suffer from severe dehydration problems - which could potententially be fatal (this is why a lot of tortoises died after waking from their sleep 'in the old days')

Thanks for listening (again!) Georgia XX

#12 Guest_GeorgieGal_*

Guest_GeorgieGal_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:11 PM

Hi
Yeah, i did bath him straight away when he came out for a wake up and to clean all the shreaded paper out of his shell.
Why do you need to get a UV and a lamp?
Whats the difference?
And also did you read the story about the japanese who gave his tortoise ciggarettes and the tort kept smoking it.

Georgia
xxxxxxx

#13 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:57 PM

Heat & UV are different - one produces heat that warms the tort up and the other provides UV which is vital for the growth of the tort (bones, etc). If you look on www.tortoisetrust.org it will explain it all in depth there. You can get combined lamps (that what I use, that provide both the heat & UV) these are more expensive to buy (between 40 - 60).

As for the smoking turtle - did you notice the date that was published? April 1st, and the name was Li Yun (Lying) :7

xx

#14 Guest_Highlight_*

Guest_Highlight_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2008 - 10:54 PM

Dawn is right. I have two guinea pigs and a tort and would never think of introducing them to each other. Guinea pigs are very large rodents with very big teeth, they are very kind and don't bite normaly, but they don't go with torts.

Helen of Leicester;-)

#15 Guest_GeorgieGal_*

Guest_GeorgieGal_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:15 PM

Hi
Ok, he is in is cage of his own and yeah, i thourght that smoking tort was lying as it was on april fools day.:P

georgia
xxxxxxx

#16 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2008 - 06:10 AM

Georgia, what are you still doing up???? Your post is timed 11.15pm!!! I was well in the land of nod by then, snoring away to my hearts content!!!! LOL!!!!:7 :7 :7

Mind you I was up at 5am this morning! :-(

#17 Guest_pies_*

Guest_pies_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:44 AM

Well done Georgia and thank you Mum. Pip will be sooooo much better with his own heat lamp & UV. :7 :7 :7

Dawn said look at the Tortoise Trust web site for good information on how to care for Pip.

She is cleaver, it's a really good place to find out about tortoises.

We all love the Tortoise Trust.....:+ :+ :+

Pies

#18 Guest_GeorgieGal_*

Guest_GeorgieGal_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:37 AM

Hi,
I had a look at tortoise trust and it did help me, so thank you.
Also....ermm...lol, yeah, well it is the easter holidays, and i was just going to watch a film in my bedroom..(Ended at 1:30) Woopsie!!
Lol :7

Anyways thank you all ever so much!!

Georgia
xxxxxxx

#19 Guest_GeorgieGal_*

Guest_GeorgieGal_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2008 - 03:48 PM

Hi all
GREAT NEWS!!!
Pip has eaten a little bit of cat food and a lot of florreti salard.
So thank you ever so much!!

Georgia
xxxxxxx

#20 Guest_Simon_*

Guest_Simon_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2008 - 03:14 PM

Hi all
GREAT NEWS!!!
Pip has eaten a little bit of cat food and a lot of florreti salard.
So thank you ever so much!!

Georgia
xxxxxxx

:o CAT FOOD! :o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users