Breeding HELP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Annie_*

Guest_Annie_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:37 PM

HI,,
I have a male 6 year old hermann female and male!
They don't actually live together but recenty my female tort has been really down so I have put them together.

I was hoping to breed them can anyone help ? x

#2 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2008 - 04:48 PM

Hi Annie,

Not sure what 'help' you are after... :P but here goes - if I don't answer your question ask again!!! :P :P ;-)

Put them together by all means, but you will need to keep an eye on them. The male MAY get aggressive with the female in that he may nip her (legs) or 'shell butt' her (charming!) He will also probably 'try' and mount her, at this age they can be sexually 'immature' and it may take time to find the right orifice! So be warned - she will probably find him mounting her sides, her head and maybe, just maybe her 'right' end!!! You will need to also moniter them in case he starts to 'stress' the female by continuously harrassing her. You know your torts so look out for any unusual signs, ie, not eating, weight loss etc. The easiest solution is to have a higher ratio of females to males (but this isn't always possible so be prepared to seperate if necesssary)

The chances are they won't actually breed and produce eggs at this age but it has been known - so never say never!!!! Generally they are bigger - the female would normally be around 15cms (plastron length) - any smaller and the female COULD have problems laying or 'passing' the eggs and this could cause her to become 'egg bound'.

One other thing... if you are at some point in the future hoping to breed then it would be an idea to get - or at least start looking at - incubators. Best be prepared as once the eggs are laid you will need to put them straight into an incubator (without turning them!) for them to have any chance of hatching.

One last thing... you say your female has been 'down'...what do you mean by this, ie is she unwell? If she is, then I would keep them seperate to minimise the risk of the male getting ill. What are her symptons? (or are you just looking for an excuse to put them together!!! lol!!!!)

Just so that you know... I have two males and a female together - the female is 9yrs, and the males are 7yrs & 3yrs. (I am hoping my two hatchlings are both female to even it out a bit, but they are seperate at the mo) My 7yr old male mounts my female avery now and then, took him a while to work out that there is a 'right end' (luv 'im!) but he doesn't seem to hassle her and once when I split them apart she went and put herself back under him!! I am hoping that they will soon breed though and have an incubator at the ready! But as of at the moment, although Frank does put a lot of effort into it, he hasn't yet worked out that there os 'something' in his tail that he needs to get out and that just thrusting his tail in her direction doesn't work!!!!
Sorry for the long post!

#3 Guest_Annie_*

Guest_Annie_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2008 - 01:27 PM

Hey ,

Thanks for all you info was very helpful.

Wen I said the female is down .Terri is very lathargic and still in wintering mode she wasn't hibernated altho was kept in heat and lights etc all winter however as the weather has improved herbie th male has become more active eating LOADS and wandering about where as she isnt .

xxx

#4 Guest_victor22_*

Guest_victor22_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2008 - 02:14 PM

Do you give her an extra boost of heat in the morning to help her get going? Unless the run gets the morning sun it can take a while for them to get going. I live in the south and it is still lunchtime before it gets warm at the moment. Then we'll get a really hot spell and they think 'Too hot, I'll spend all day under a cool bush' Whereas, when it's cold and they're indoors their heat is monitered.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users