Hibernation this year

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2008 - 09:18 PM

Hi Chaps,
as you are probably aware Hettie has not had a great year regarding her health. I have just completed the daily bathing of her most recent patch of shell rot, I was given some advice that it wasnt new rot but because of her shell growth it had become apparent, thanks to the zoom on my digital camera I think this advice is correct. ANYWAY..... I was wondering whether or not she should hibernate this year? does it just depend on her weight later in the year? or because she's had several illnesses should I overwinter her? I have never done this before so would need loooooads of help!
Sorry to go on but Hettie is an 04 hatchling, what size table would she require to be happy? I don't think after a summer outside she would appreciate going back into the converted viv!! (although I did wonder about using it without doors inside the table enclosure as her shelter area)?
What size table do adults need? It might be worth me going straight for this rather than another temporary fix?
Would I be better going for a tort shed? I would feel guilty about this option though... outside, on her little ownsome in the winter x(

All thoughts really, really welcome!!

Paula

#2 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2008 - 10:01 PM

HI Paula, I wouldn't worry about hibernating her just yet....get her shell sorted first - blimey girl! You've got enough stress worrying bout that without worrying bout whether to hibernate as well!!! Lol!!! :7

#3 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2008 - 10:50 PM

Tell me about it Dawn, this was posted last night and I discovered 'the rot' this morning! Priority obviously lower, if at all now!!! Just when you think all is better...
Paula

#4 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2008 - 09:28 PM

Paula, I'm sure everything will be fine - think positive! ;-)

#5 Guest_lorrylou_*

Guest_lorrylou_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2008 - 12:36 AM

In answer to your original question Paula I can only say that following one of mine having RNS and another being signifficantly underweight (by more than 10%) I decided to keep them up during winter last.

I don't think it harmed them at all not hibernating but I am aiming to get them down for a sleep next time as I personally believe it is better for long term health to hibernate if they are fit and a reasonable weight.

Jonathan

#6 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2008 - 07:59 PM

Hi Jonathon,
The vet has now told me Hettie is likely to still be needing antibiotics in September and feels she shold not hibernate this year. She is actually loosing weight at the moment, 27g to date. So I shall be keeping her up. I will have to look at an enclosure for her, I am torn between making a fairly small table, 180cm x 120cm or buying a shed for her, I do wonder about being able to keep the shed warm enough through the winter? I suppose I could line it with something insulating? I have also seen kennels within the shed so that one area can be kept warmer.
There is no scope in my house for a bigger table so would hope this would be big enough for now and if necessary for future use. Otherwise my very tolerant other half might divorce me before we marry in March!!

Paula

#7 Guest_lorrylou_*

Guest_lorrylou_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2008 - 08:16 PM

Hi Paula

I have a little hut that is part of my outdoor set-up but I didn't use that when I kept mine up for the reason that you mention. It can work out quite expensive keeping a hut warm enough in winter. There would be a need for background heating in addition to UV lamp and the background heating would have to be on a lot of the time.

Insulating does apparently make a big difference, I looked into that and there are a few types of material available. I reckon a lot of heat would still be escaping. I was lucky getting the electrics outside because there used to a be garage and a plastic pipe had been buried to provide the electrics for that, which made the job a lot cheaper.

Having said all that some people keep tropical species in sheds all year round so it can be done.

#8 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2008 - 10:11 PM

Mmmmm more thought required I think!
Thanks for your reply, will keep you informed!

Paula

#9 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2008 - 10:44 PM

Paula, when I needed to get bigger indoor accomadation (hmmm, due to ever increasing number of torts that kept magically appearing....) I upgraded to a indoor rabbit cage. I have a VERY small house (it was described as a 'quant' victorian cottage - quant being the opperative word!!!! lol) and I found that these take up less space as they can slot into an alcove or against a wall and not jut out as far as a table.

#10 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2008 - 07:10 PM

Do you think one of these would provide enough 'roaming room' for Hettie, she is an 04 hatchling, I dont want to spend this amount of money for something she will quickly grow out of. I think after her large summer enclosure she may not appreciate being 'cooped up'. Is there a rule of thumb for space needed?
http://www.kimbosrep...-62cm-p-66.html
Once Hettie has made a full recovery I shall be looking for a new addition... or two, so it could be used later for those torts too!
Paula

#11 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2008 - 09:07 PM

Paula they are good BUT my indoor cage is the exact same size and I got it for under half that price! This had my 3 biggies in there (a 9yr old, 7yrold, 3 yr old) and there was ample room.

http://i274.photobuc...ge/100_1341.jpg

I got it from ebay, here's one thats on there now for example:

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...p3286.m14.l1318

not sure where you live....but if you tap indoor rabbit cages in the ebay search bar quite a few come up. I got mine brand new for 32 + 6 odd for p&p - I know it came to under 40.

In fact I got given one the other day by my next door neighbour - for free! Where was she when I bought two of them last year! LOL!!

As for space - as much as you can house! These cages come in bigger sizes, I know they do a 140cm one for example, unfortunatly I couldn't go much bigger than this as I needed two (tho' the other cage was smaller!)

#12 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2008 - 10:06 PM

Thanks for the info Dawn, certainly cheaper than the one I saw! Seeing as these are available ready made I don't have to get one just yet, the other half will be pleased to be putting the hammer and nails away again... for now!

Paula x

#13 Guest_robink_*

Guest_robink_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2008 - 05:50 PM

You could also try pet at home, they have an offer on at the moment different size's between 30 and 40 pounds.
Kayx

#14 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2008 - 07:29 PM

Thanks Kay, will have little look at those!

Paula x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users