Too early to hibernate

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_victor22_*

Guest_victor22_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:59 AM

I've been a bit worried about Victor of late. He buries himslf a few inches underground and stays there. I 'dig him out' every day, but I don't think he's eating, although I can't be sure as he has dandelions growing in his run.I know Horsfields do this when it gets very hot and go into a sort of hibernation during a very hot spell, but he's a Hermanns and started doing this a few weeks ago when it was cooler. He ends up looking like a mud pie.
I've brought him in this week, so that I can monitor him and his eating :(

#2 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2008 - 12:12 PM

That's fine, you'll probably find that it's too hot for them at the moment! Has he got any shelter to get away from the sun? Bushes and plants are good as some of the plastic flowerpots/hides can get just as hot inside! I find when it gets really hot mine all go back into the shed or hind in the long grass or under bushes then come back out when it cools in the late afternoon.

See what he does indoors, and obviously if you're really worried get him checked out by a vet. Try not to keep ihim in too long - this sun probably won't last much longer!!! LOL!!!!!:P

#3 Guest_Smileyk_*

Guest_Smileyk_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2008 - 02:05 PM

Mine acts like Dawn's and puts herself to bed when she gets too hot. In fact she's just done precisely that!

#4 Guest_victor22_*

Guest_victor22_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2008 - 05:44 PM

I've put him in the shed in the dog cage, so I can open the shed and leave him half in the sun and half in shade. It all started when the weather was quite cool. His run has lots of shelter and doesn't get the sun all day. He has eaten a bit today, but I must admit I gave him some naughties, including a bit of cucumber to 'kick-start' him as I was afraid he might have been getting a bit dehydrated.

#5 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2008 - 07:36 PM

Cucumber's fine - I've been giving mine a bit of cucumber every day whilst the weathers been so hot and humid.

My Tally didn't eat from September last year until end of April(ish) this year (she hibernated end of Nov - beg of March). I still don't know why this happened. I got her in Sept and saw her happily eating at the breeder's, she just wouldn't eat here! I tried everything - weeds, greens, fruit, but she wouldn't touch it - tried all the stuff the breeder used to give her, nothing worked. So I hibernated her anyway - kind of 'do or die' type thing! When she woke in March, she had a nibble and I thought it had worked, but clearly not! She then spent a week at the vets and came home with a 400 vet bill and still not eating! Then suddenly a couple off weeks later, she suddenly just started eating and by god! She's not stopped since!!! :7 :7 :7

What I'm trying to say is no healthy tort will starve itself - it may take a few days or a few months, but they will eat! It may be cos the weather was quite chilly up until recently that he did start to wind himself down....but if you keep the temps up I'm sure things will improve...

Let us know how he gets on ;-)

#6 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:17 PM

Hi Lin,
I'm sorry I don't know the answer to what Victor is up to, Hettie hasn't mastered the art of digging very well, she has a bit of a flick around just before bed but is no deeper than buried toes!
When you say Victor buries himself a few inches underground, do you mean completely? as in out of sight?
Has he lost any weight?
Today we have had thunderstorms, Hettie was safely tucked up, I presumed for the night... the rain came, and sat on her ramp, chin up, drenched, was Hettie. Rain stopped and back in she went!
They sure are funny little creatures!

Paula x

#7 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:31 PM

PMSL at hettie!!!! Bless her little cottons!!!!

Uh oh! I take it that we've got these storms to come then?????? They keep threatning them for tomorrow :(

#8 Guest_victor22_*

Guest_victor22_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:37 AM

Victor buries himself completely, about 2/3 inches down. The only reason I found him is that the earth was a bit disturbed; but not even a hump. The next day I couldn't find him and he had gone right under the bush.Luckily we have a wire covering under the earth, so he can't go any further. Of course, once they're down there it is really cold.

#9 Guest_akenney_*

Guest_akenney_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2008 - 12:27 PM

Hi! I've logged on to ask exactly the same question as you. Alfie is a 5 year old tortoise, he hibernated from november to february and was fine upon waking. Has been outside since May and has spent the last week totally underground, not coming out for anything. I don't know what to do, shall I bring him inside? Surely he can't hibernate all year?! Just need some advice about what to do next... I lost a horsfield this year suring hibernation and I'm scared the same thing could happen to Alfie. Thank you!

#10 Guest_victor22_*

Guest_victor22_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2008 - 08:41 PM

I've had Victor indoors for a couple of weeks to monitor his eating (some, but not a lot)I managed to get a poo sample and it has come back that he has worms. I'm waiting a week til the vet who's wormed him before is back from holiday.
Do you remember last year someone came on and had lost their young tortoise for a few months, then pulled up some nasturtiums in the tortoise enclosure and out it popped, good as new.

#11 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2008 - 08:56 PM

Ahhhh poor Victor! How blumin miserable!!
Will you have to get Bentley checked as well now?
I wonder why Hettie doesn't dig? She has a soil/sand substrate.
Paula x

#12 Guest_victor22_*

Guest_victor22_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2008 - 04:23 PM

Luckily, I haven't put them together yet, so Bentley should be OK. It's funny how one will do one thing and not another: perhaps Hettie doesn't like getting her feet dirty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users