Hibernation Issues...

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_English Rose_*

Guest_English Rose_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2008 - 08:16 PM

My little one has started slowing down. she comes out about 12 for something to eat, sits under her heat lamp for an hour then goes back to bed. Im sure shes still underweight and small for her age. I have never hibernated her as the vet advised me last year not to as she was too small... awww poor Tilly

lynne

#22 Guest_kitty_*

Guest_kitty_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:20 PM

Hi just thought i'd wish you all good luck with hibernating this year, due to a baby coming when mine should be hibernating i have decided to keep my lil man up this year. Only downside i can see of keeping him up is that whilst your torts are all sleeping and your nice and warm indoors, i'll be the one outside looking for weeds in the wind/rain and freezing temperatures.:'( Oh joy no rest for the wicked.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE:-)

#23 Guest_stargazer_*

Guest_stargazer_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:32 PM

No joy with Tiny, he's turning hise nose up at the cucumber now aswell, if I didn't take him out of his sleeping area I don't think he would come out at all. He sits under the lamp for a few minutes then goes to find somewhere to burrow. I think he must want to hibernate, he is 3 this year and not hibernated before so not sure of the signs to look for. But last year he was still active at this time and kept going through the winter. Any ideas anyone, perhaps I should take him back to the vet. He's 0.37 on the scale.

He was quite active when I took him there last week, typcial!

#24 Guest_victor22_*

Guest_victor22_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:01 PM

Have you tried moving their run. A few weeks ago when it was hot (!) I moved the run into the shed as it would have got really hot in the conservatory. Mega sulk until it was moved back again.

#25 Guest_stargazer_*

Guest_stargazer_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2008 - 09:06 PM

His table is in quite a warm room in the house, the central heating is on and he has his heat lamp at one end and cool at the other end, but he doesn't seem to bothered which end he goes as long as he can burrow down in the aubiose, he does move away a bit from the heat lamp to burrow down if at that end?

Do you think I should stop offering food now for a couple of weeks, not as if he wants it anyway and give him a few baths to clear his system before hibernation?

Thanks

Carole

#26 Guest_kitty_*

Guest_kitty_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:55 AM

His table is in quite a warm room in the house, the central heating is on and he has his heat lamp at one end and cool at the other end, but he doesn't seem to bothered which end he goes as long as he can burrow down in the aubiose, he does move away a bit from the heat lamp to burrow down if at that end?

Do you think I should stop offering food now for a couple of weeks, not as if he wants it anyway and give him a few baths to clear his system before hibernation?

Thanks

Carole

What are his night time temperatures? I only ask because i had this problem shortly after i got Pagani this time last year. He would just constantly burrow down and wouldnt come out to eat unless i took him out and when he did eat it wasnt a lot at all if anything some days. After a visit to our vet she suggested to play around with the temperatures and said to try an all round temp of 26c and not to let night time drop below 18c. After a few days he began to come out and eat on his own. This is just my experiance and i cant say you should do it. It's just your situation sounded very similar to mine.
hope it helps and everything gets sorted soon

#27 Guest_stargazer_*

Guest_stargazer_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2008 - 11:57 AM

Thanks I'll check the temperatures and leave the central heating on tonight, see how we go by tomorrow.

Carole

#28 Guest_kitty_*

Guest_kitty_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2008 - 08:27 AM

How's is your little tort now?

#29 Guest_stargazer_*

Guest_stargazer_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:21 PM

Still the same really, didn't like to be hot it seems and went to seek out a dark area in his table, presumably to be cooler as well. I think he must want hibernation. I'm going to bath him tomorrow. He's not bothered about cucumber now either :( Perhaps another visit to the vets is in order.

Carole

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users