Help I have eggs

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_rebecca_*

Guest_rebecca_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2008 - 09:02 AM

This afternoon my female tortoise laid seven eggs. this was a bit unexpected as she hasnt woken from hibernation long ago and I am totally unprepared. I rushed out this afternoon and bought a fishtank which I am heating to 30 C I have put a container with vermiculite inside the fishtank containing the eggs. My probe thermometer is showing the vermiculite temperature to be 28-29 C. Does this sound OK? I would greatly appreciate any help!

#2 Guest_maz_*

Guest_maz_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2008 - 02:49 PM

Hi Rebecca,
What a lucky person you are, and what a surprise for you, I have never had experience with incubating eggs but I am sure someone will come on and help you with your question,There is one thing I do know though and that is once they have been laid, they musn't be turned.I really dont know the actual reason for this and I would like to know why myself, so come on all you experienced keepers and give us the answers.:*

Love Maz:* :*
By the way what species are your tortoise,:-)

#3 Guest_tortoise_dude_*

Guest_tortoise_dude_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2008 - 03:30 PM

Mark the top of the eggs with a cross using a very light pencil. This is to ensure they don't get turned over as this can tear and rip veins ect inside the egg.

Also, at this temperature they will hatch sucesfully but are at more chance of being male

#4 Guest_rebecca_*

Guest_rebecca_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:55 PM

Thanks, we feel pretty lucky! I ahd read on the internet not to turn the eggs so thats great! I particularly would like to know form anyone who has used a fishtank to incubate their eggs in the past. By the way my tortoises are Hermanns. I have a 30yr old male called Tom and a 12 yr old female called Tilly.

#5 Guest_rebecca_*

Guest_rebecca_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:59 PM

Tortoise-dude, if I want to get a mixed clutch or more females would I be best to turn the temperature up by a degree or two? Does the temperature of the vermiculite itself need to be around 30 - 32 C? Thanks for your help.

#6 Guest_victor22_*

Guest_victor22_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2008 - 09:28 PM

When did she come out of hibernation? You said it was not long ago. Most of our thoughts are turning towards hibernation, now. Or do you live abroad, not England, perhaps?

#7 Guest_lorrylou_*

Guest_lorrylou_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2008 - 11:05 PM

Rebecca I see you are in New Zealand; your torts are waking up! Very exciting. I'm not much use as I've not had any eggs but we'll all be hoping they are fertile and the incubation goes well.

I think you get a mixed batch between 30 and 31.5 C. Lower temps produce males and higher ones females, but anything over 34C can cause lots of problems. If you haven't seen this artcile, do check it out

http://www.tortoiset...les/eggfaq.html

Also lower temps mean it takes longer to get to hatching. At some stage you can 'candle' the eggs to see what is going on inside.
Some females do trial runs of infertile eggs but if you have kept your torts together there is every chance of fertile ones. Mostly people don't hibernate them when they are full of eggs but I believe its all perfectly possible and a female can carry them for a long time before laying.

Good luck! Ozric

#8 Guest_victor22_*

Guest_victor22_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2008 - 09:16 AM

It's very exiting. I hope they hatch.

#9 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2008 - 07:22 AM

hi what are you heating the fishtank with if it is a dry incubation you will need to put a bowl of water in there to raise the humidity 70% is the norm.
terry
if you have any other questions please ask i will do my best to help i have had 32 hatchlings of different species so far this year including 19 hermans tortoises.

#10 Guest_rebecca_*

Guest_rebecca_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2008 - 08:07 AM

Hi Terry, thanks very much for your reply. I am a total novice at this so I definetly appreciate your help! I am not quite sure I understand your question about a dry incubation? The eggs are in a plastic container with vermiculite and a piece of damp handee towel. This container is weighted down inside a fishtank and I have used a tropical fish type heater to heat the water. I have a probe thermometer measuring the temp of the vermiculite but I haven't really considered the humidity? This was a etup that I had handy and I think if I am lucky enough to have any more eggs I would invest in an incubator (Hova-bator ones seem to be good here, I don't know if they are in the UK?) Thanks in advance!

#11 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2008 - 08:10 AM

Hi Terry, thanks very much for your reply. I am a total novice at this so I definetly appreciate your help! I am not quite sure I understand your question about a dry incubation? The eggs are in a plastic container with vermiculite and a piece of damp handee towel. This container is weighted down inside a fishtank and I have used a tropical fish type heater to heat the water. I have a probe thermometer measuring the temp of the vermiculite but I haven't really considered the humidity? This was a etup that I had handy and I think if I am lucky enough to have any more eggs I would invest in an incubator (Hova-bator ones seem to be good here, I don't know if they are in the UK?) Thanks in advance!

hi sounds like you have a humid environment i havent heard of people with this type of incubator for years as far as i can remember they work well so i dont see any problems there.i think a lot of people use hovabators now myself included.make sure you dont lift or turn the eggs once incubation has started and be patient with them.if your incubator is a sealed environment its worth opening the lid for a few seconds daily so the air doesnt become stagnant,other tham that be patient and expect any hatching from about 60 days.if you have any questions feel free i will do my best to help.
terry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users