One torty hibernating

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Annecaroline_*

Guest_Annecaroline_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2008 - 10:40 AM

This is my first hibernation. One of my torts i'm keeping awake as she was ill earlier in the year, the other has not eaten for four days and is staying in her house when i've checked she is breathing and sleeping, sometimes opening her eyes.

They are both 3 years old. Should i leave her as she is a while longer or bath her and box her?

Anne

#2 Guest_lorrylou_*

Guest_lorrylou_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:59 PM

Hi Anne, he would need quite a bit longer to digest what is in his system from his last meal. Smaller and younger ones need less time to wind down than adult tortoises. Probably you are looking at something like a three week wind down depending a bit on weight. I would start daily bathing with tepid water. Is this tort inside your house? If you are using artificial heat and light you need to start reducing the day length and temperatures but if this tort was still eating until 4 days ago I wouldn't do that quite yet.

Ozric

#3 Guest_Annecaroline_*

Guest_Annecaroline_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2008 - 08:43 AM

Thanks Oz.

Bad husband yesterday gave both torties something to eat without thinking. Back to square 1!

Anne

#4 Guest_lorrylou_*

Guest_lorrylou_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2008 - 08:41 PM

I haven't withdrawn food yet but I'll have to face that awful feeling quite soon now! My three juveniles are eating like horses at the moment as well. Ozric

#5 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2008 - 09:38 PM

Mine too, I'm gonna start winding the bigger ones down in the next few weeks and hibernate them at teh end of Novemeber and follow up with the babies in December all being well....

#6 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:15 PM

Oooooo I don't envy you lot, it must be so difficult not to give in to those gorgeous 'please feed me' eyes x(
Paula x

#7 Guest_Annecaroline_*

Guest_Annecaroline_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:33 AM

That's the really difficult part is when they look at you pleading for food, you feel so cruel.

Anne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users