Self-hibernating tort - Help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Tigga_*

Guest_Tigga_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2008 - 09:07 PM

Hi All

I haven't posted anything for ages as thanks to all your help in the early days things have been going fine.

I have had my tort for 2 years and haven't been able to hibernate him before due to an injury. However I had planned to try it this year as he has recovered but as he was winding down, he seems to have done the job himself. I was only on week 1 of the wind down but he hasn't come out of his cave for 3 days and seems to be fast asleep. Can I just leave him there or do I have to wake him up to put him back to sleep. I was going to take him to the vet today to have him checked over to make absolutely sure he was fit to hibernate and I haven't even bought a fridge yet!

Any advice?

Tigga

#2 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2008 - 09:31 PM

Continue reducing lights & heat. Bath him every day in warm water and sort yourself out a fridge, lol!!! Don't give him anymore to eat. Continue this for a couple of weeks and see how it goes, I'm sure he'll be fine....

#3 Guest_Tigga_*

Guest_Tigga_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2008 - 11:49 PM

Thanks Dawn. I didn't put the lights and stuff on at all today although I left the temprature the same. Should I still put his heat lamp on then? And is it going to upset everything now if I take him to the vet to be checked out? I am just so worried that he might not survive hibernation and I would be heartbroken if I lost him.

Tigga

#4 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:05 PM

If you want to go ahead with hibernation then I would probably say to leave the heat on for a couple of hours a day, bath your tort then place him under the lamp. Dont offer any more food.

You need to decide quickly whether you want to go ahead with his hibernation. If you do then do the above, if not you need to put his lights & heat on fully for at least 8 - 12 hours a day. Continue feeding and bathing. You may need to turn his heat up a little more than normal as well just to 'get him going'

There's no point doing it if you are going to end up waking him early through worry. Go with your gut instinct.

If you want to take him to the vets then please do so - he's your little man. But I think the vet will tell you that he's just winding himself down, and doing what comes naturally to him.

;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users