- - - - -

Mr Horsfield - Geoffrey

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Amy_*

Guest_Amy_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2005 - 09:26 AM

I've had Geoffrey for 4 weeks now. He is 9 months old. On buying him i paid a vist to the vet to check him over - all was fine, fit and healthy.
I have all the necessary and recommended kit i should have.

I'm not sure to whether to be worried about this..... he hasn't pooed in his vivarium yet - only when i get him out for him to have a wander in the hall (which is most days). He's only wee'd once in the vivarium too - every other time it's when i get him out. Is this normal?! (oh and when he's bathed!)

Also, the last couple of days, his poo has been a bit runny than 'normal' with some strange colouring and very very smelly!!

His wee occasionally has some white sticky looking stuff in it - is this normal?

He seems to like eating carrot, lettuce, and apple - the vet said there was no problem feeding him this.

Any advice greatfully received.
Thanks

#2 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2005 - 12:48 PM

Amy the reason your tortoises poop is runny or soft is its diet is wrong ,horsfiels need a high fibre low protien diet in the form of weeds dandelions etc this time of year it can be difficult to come across any weeds but you should be able to come across enough for one tortoise or at least be able to add to his diet which shouldn't contain any fruit at all horsfields can't cope with sugar in there diet fruit it can cause digestive problems like colic and all fruit's contains sugar so best to cut the fruit out try using the mixed herb greens from the supermarket but make sure it has a liberal sprinkle of calcium carbonate on it daily you can buy calcium carbonate from most health food shops it very inexpensive about 1.50 kg,as for releaving him self this is natural when bathed ,tortoises often empty there bladder etc when submerged in water even if you don't see him drink he will still take water into his system via is cloaca (back passage), all so tortoses who aren't use to being handled will often releave them selves when picked up this might explain why your tort go's to the loo when its rmoved from it enclosure i think thats all i can think of for now hope it helps

#3 Guest_Amy_*

Guest_Amy_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2005 - 03:36 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 08-12-05 AT 03:52 PM (GMT)]Thanks for the reply.
It's a shame there is so much conflicting information.
You'd think you would be able to trust what the Vet tells you is ok to feed them!
Already have the calcium to put on his food, and do this regularly.
Thanks again

#4 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2005 - 04:28 PM

Amy, order yourself some TLadys seed mix and grow it for your tortoise. If it takes too long to grow in the winter months get a heated propergator from either diy stores or garden centres and you will find it grows alot quicker, tortoises love it. Heres the link, hope this helps.:)

http://www.tlady.cla...t/herbiseed.htm

#5 Guest_Amy_*

Guest_Amy_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2005 - 08:13 AM

That's helpful, thank you. ordering some now!

#6 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2005 - 08:45 AM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 09-12-05 AT 08:59 AM (GMT)]Hello Amy
He needs to be taken out of the vivarium, horsefields do not cope with humidity which thye get in viv's in fact most torts don't, he should be in a table top enviroment, he also needs bedding of Aubiose (Hemp) from horse outlets, to bury in, this needs to be about 3" to 4" deep
You have been advised about the diet, so I won't go over that again
http://www.thetortoisehouse.com
This will tell you all you need to know about rearing Russians(horsefields) in the UK
What did you name him/her saying that you won't know the sex till it's about 5, if!! he is grown correctly, I always refer to them as him, till I know what sex they are, then it's not a dissapointment when they produce there man parts :-)
Another thing, there are not many vets in the UK that know an awful lot about tortoise's, so the information you get will depend on what book he's read and how up to date it is.
There is a list of edible garden plants on this site that he can eat, flowers at the moment that are in are pansies
Photo is of one little Russian enjoying his flowers :-)
Arnie

#7 Guest_Amy_*

Guest_Amy_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2005 - 11:40 AM

your info seems to make sense, thanks.
his viv doesn't have much glass, only on the front, and these doors are open all the time anyway. i did my research and decided on a compromise between the two - thought this would be a happy medium. He's regularly out of it too for a wander around.

As for pansies - i have some in the garden so will pick a few for him!

Like you, i just assume he's male - if not, i'll still call him Geoffrey! it suits him.
Amy

#8 Guest_amy_smith33_*

Guest_amy_smith33_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2005 - 11:45 AM

Hi

Vets are great with the insides of tortoises:) but some have no idea of the husbandry thats needed to keep them healthy. Unless they keep them themselves. Thus they can give out some duff information.
The tortoise trust, www.thetortoisehouse.com and www.tortoises.net are the three most reliable sites for correct diet and husbandry needed for tortoises. They are non profit making and follow as much as possible how torts are kept in the wild.

#9 Guest_tez_05_*

Guest_tez_05_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2005 - 06:30 PM

hi p1glet,
just reading yr message, which mixed herb greens? i didnt realise they could eat herbs, mine eat just weeds, it would be nice to add something new. i grow my own herbs too! if you could list any herbs that are ok that wud be brill.

cheers,

jemma. :P

#10 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2005 - 07:22 PM

All herbs are edible but your tortoise may prefer some to others most weeds are also classed as herbs just offer whats avaiable see what they like, take a look at this site not just weeds are good and edible lots of other garden plants are too http://russiantortoi...ortoisediet.htm

#11 Guest_tez_05_*

Guest_tez_05_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2005 - 05:13 PM

cheers. Thats very helpful. :7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users