- - - - -

new juvenile spur thighs

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2006 - 05:26 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 01-01-06 AT 06:22 PM (GMT)]Got these two new mediterranean spur thighs today, well Dan what do you reckon i say ibera also a picture of another of my adult spurs i thnik shes a large testudo graeca graeca

#2 Guest_Tomatillo_*

Guest_Tomatillo_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2006 - 07:29 PM

Hello Piglet
Sorry to but in on your thread,but could I ask you a quick question about my female Horsfield Rosie who recently laid 2 eggs .I say recent but it was over 4 weeks ago { 4 weeks and 2 days to be exact].She hasn't shown any signs of preparing to lay any more eggs .Do you think she has finished for this year? If so do you think I can put her companions back in with her in her enclosure? Thanks for your help
Kind regards
Tomatillo
Ps nice tortie pics
must learn how to post pictures-New years resolution

#3 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2006 - 07:50 PM

My female has just laid well last week she laid 5 weeks ago also i don't keep mine apart until i notice nesting behaviour ican't see a problem with her being rturned to her house mates, is there any sign of fertility in your eggs

#4 Guest_Tomatillo_*

Guest_Tomatillo_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2006 - 08:30 PM

Thanks for your quick reply Piglet
So you reckon there's still time for her to lay more eggs.At least I feel a bit more prepared this time thanks to the help I received on here.
I know I'm not supposed to handle the eggs but I couldn,t resist holding one of them up to the light making sure I didn't move its orientation.It looked quite orangy in colour and I think I could see blood vessels{red wriggly lines} underneath the surface of the shell and a very dark patch on the underside of the egg.I hope this is a positive sign.What do you think?
Regards
Tomatillo

#5 Guest_Tomatillo_*

Guest_Tomatillo_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2006 - 08:43 PM

Oops
Didn't think my message had posted so re -did it
Sorry

#6 Guest_Tomatillo_*

Guest_Tomatillo_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2006 - 08:41 PM

Thanks for your quick reply Piglet
I know I shouldn't handle the eggs but I couldn't resist holding one up to the light making sure I didn't move it's orientation.It was kind of orangy in colour and I think I could see blood vessels{red wriggly lines}running just underneath the surface of the shell and I could see a dark patch on the underside of the egg.I hope this is a positive sign.What do you think?
Regards
Tomatillo

#7 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2006 - 08:57 PM

I really think this forum should be named the antenatal forum, all the births that are goin on, we're gonna have to find lots of names lol:) I really hope they hatch honey, good luck:)

#8 Guest_Tomatillo_*

Guest_Tomatillo_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2006 - 09:19 PM

Thanks Omare
fingers crossed lol

#9 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2006 - 09:32 PM

Sounds good and fertile all mine are to ,tried to take pics of a fertile egg for you but can't get a good enough image worth posting,don't worry about holding the eggs as long as your really careful to check for fertility, try holding a pocket torch to the egg you will see the embryo quite clearly if its fertile ,if it looks yellowish right through its infertile, is this her first clutch if so she may not lay another clutch for a while but i'm sure you will get a another one or two in the spring to early summer , one off my females only lays in march and april the other lays any time but both females usually have only 3-5 weeks between clutches

#10 Guest_egyptiandan64_*

Guest_egyptiandan64_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2006 - 10:46 PM

The 2 little guys are ibera from Turkey.
The female is anamurensis :7
Haven't seen any graeca graeca yet :D

#11 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2006 - 11:04 PM

andy highfield reckons she was graeca graeca

#12 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2006 - 11:31 PM

Dan on the tarta club italia site she looks almost identical to the animal called Testudo graeca armeniaca

#13 Guest_egyptiandan64_*

Guest_egyptiandan64_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2006 - 12:11 AM

Did Andy get to see her plastron? If he did it must have been a busy day :7 . I checked again, nope anamurensis. I'm going by the plastron and the carapace together. The pectoral scutes on armeniaca don't have that much of a dip from the sides to the middle, I'm talking about the top of the pectoral scute. She's longer and more flared carapace wise then armeniaca. armeniaca seems to be more brown then black carapace wise too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users