Outdoor winter house for tropical tortoises

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_rupert_the_dog_*

Guest_rupert_the_dog_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2006 - 10:42 PM

Hi All,

Next year I will look at building an outdoor summer/winter enclosure for my Redfoots and Elongated. This year i have a heated garage but its soon to be turned into a study!!!
Does any one keep an outside winter tortoise house and if so how's is it built, insulated and heated? Bearing in mind I am in sunny manchester where it snows in winter.

Any help appricated.

Mike

#2 Guest_ossypete_*

Guest_ossypete_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2006 - 06:31 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 02-01-06 AT 06:32 PM (GMT)]erm hello , this is my first post on here , this is an interesting topic mike as i may well have to do this for my pair of redfoots i have , hopefully gonna have a garage this year if we move house so not a necessity yet but will be soon i am sure.:7 I am close to you in sunny blackburn so i know the weather problem your talking about!!!.

#3 Guest_rupert_the_dog_*

Guest_rupert_the_dog_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2006 - 09:05 PM

HI,

Yes its a difficult one this but I am sure its been done before!

Here is a link to a Yahoo group called tortoise habitats which might prove useful. You have to join.

Regards

Mike

http://groups.yahoo....rtoiseHabitats/

#4 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2006 - 10:09 PM

My reds are housed indoors in the winter and go out in the garden in the summer. If i was to house them outdoors for the winter, i would get a large shed and insulate it. I would have spot lights and uvb inside. In the summer i would open the door so the tortoises can have run off the garden and can come inside if they wish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users