- - - - -

Pictures from egypt

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 09:57 AM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 03-01-06 AT 09:59 AM (GMT)]Hello every one. Its great to be back and the forum has changed so much its loads better.
Anyway as most of you know Andy and I went to Egypt (sharm el sheik) while we where there we visited two towns Narma Bay and old town. I was expecting to see tortoises boxed for sale, as i saw in tunisia, but we saw nothing thank god.
Anyway across the road from our hotel there were a few shops, Andy and I went into one of the shops and admired the tortoises figures. The shop keeper was trying to tell it us but we explained that we have real ones, he then said come with me, he took us next door and in a draw in the shop was two egptian tortoises. They looked so old, especially the male. Andy and I were horrified that they were just kept in a draw. We gave the man lots of advice, he told us the female eats loads were as the male doesnt, he told us that he fed them on fruit and cucumber, we told him not to do that,fed them lettuce (not iceburg) cactus, a little bit of carrot, i told him to think of a tortoise in the wild, what would they find to eat?We also told him to put them in a large box with sand and put them out in the sun, but to make sure that they had some shade.
Anyway the next day we went to the shop and he had them in a small box with stones and the bottom, he had also brought some cos lettuce, we had brought some food over from the hotel.
We were pleased that he had made he changes but you just know that thoses tortoises wont live for very long, Andy and I just wanted to take them home. The tortoises were brought from Cairo for 1.50 can you believe it, a Egyptian tortoise of that size in England would cost 1000.

#2 Guest_kirsty10_*

Guest_kirsty10_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 01:36 PM

Has someone been scratching messages into their shells??!! At least he took your advice, well kind of. How long had he had them??

#3 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 01:54 PM

On the back of the girls shell they had wrote sarah lol
he hadnt had them that long, one of his friends brought them from ciaro and he brought them. Well i think this is what happened

#4 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 04:17 PM

What a shame, glad I wasn't there, they would have been over here in quarantine by now lol, don't know how you resisted Sarah.:)

#5 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 04:31 PM

You cannot inport and Egyptian tortoise sadly. They are very rarely seen in the wild if it all. There are a number of projects trying to introduce them back into the wild. In Egypt they are all collected and sold as food or pets.

#6 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 05:36 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 03-01-06 AT 05:43 PM (GMT)]Sold as food or pets, yuk! Who said anything about importing them, I have big pockets lol:) Only joking people, don't try it, you will be prosecuted and go to jail, not a good idea. lol

#7 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 05:40 PM

Dont go giving people ideas omare lol. There are alot of people who go on holiday and find a baby tortoise in the wild and just put it in their pocket. ITs cruel to take from the wild. But i wish i could have taken those two as they were not from the wild.
Not sold as food for pets silly, sold as pets or food

#8 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 05:42 PM

Makes my heart feel real heavy when I seen torts with their shells disfigured like that, makes our torts look like royalty.:(

#9 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 05:44 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 03-01-06 AT 05:47 PM (GMT)]They were not disfigured the pen would come off with a scrub with water. I just fell sorry for the enviroment they are in, they are wild caught they were used to lots of space, lots of sun and natural food. Now they are in a tiny box stuck in a shop being handled all the time

#10 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 05:47 PM

Do you think they took in the advice you gave em.

#11 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 05:48 PM

Not sure, i told them that English people dont liek cruelty to animals and if they dont keep them right no one will come into their shop lol. I bet they are in that draw right now

#12 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 05:49 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 03-01-06 AT 05:50 PM (GMT)]I would be weeping all the time if I saw that, don't know how you coped.:(

#13 Guest_rupert_the_dog_*

Guest_rupert_the_dog_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 06:21 PM

Hi Sarah,

I hope you enjoyed you hols. I bet you are chilled after getting away. Great story and pics of the torts lets hope they listened to your advice.

Cheers

Mike

#14 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 08:46 PM

Well as you all no its not just tortoise abuse abroad even here in the uk hundreds of tortoises go through awful lives , people buy tortoises on a whim with no research into the correct husbandry for there new charges they then end up living misrable lives in fish tanks or fed the wrong diet and incorrect heating,lighting etc
I have had leoprard tortoises handed in to me huge animals some 5+ yrs old with so much pyramiding they look like the grand canyon there shells still pliable from no calcium or uvb lighting, we have had sulcata tortoise with cronic pneumonia handed in because they have grown so big they have been left out in poor damp cold weather, hermans and med spur thighs that have been fed dog food ,peas etc swelling there kidneys so bad with urates they have lostthe ability to move there limbs, luckly we have been through having an exellent vet rehabilitated these poor soles and most now live good lives in new homes with knowledgeable owners, lets just hope more people find sites like this where there are people who can help

#15 Guest_egyptiandan64_*

Guest_egyptiandan64_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 09:08 PM

You tried Sarah thats all you can do. I just hope they're not back in the drawer too. I liked the pictures. They were imported from Libya because like you said there aren't any left in Egypt. Your right the male doesn't look good. That orange cast he has is from stress. I can believe the price and it's sad that the trade is still going on. That makes it hard to do any kind of reintroduction.
I hope you had a great vacation, you and Andy.

#16 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2006 - 11:49 AM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 07-01-06 AT 11:49 AM (GMT)]Please don't try to smuggle tortoises in the UK :-)
You could do what a friend of mine did whilst in Tunisia, he came across some in the market cheap as chips
He bought some and I think he even stole some, then the next day after giving them a proper feed and a good soak he hired a jeep and took them back where they had come from in the wild, not only did he have the satisfaction of setting them free, he had a day out to a part of the country he might not have seen.
Arnie

#17 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2006 - 06:30 PM

What a nice friend:)

#18 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2006 - 08:17 PM

I went to Tunsian and it was horrible. We went to a market and outside the shops there were crates frull of tortoises, you would look at them and the owners would say come here, follow me. They woudl take you into the shop and underneath the table would be a box with no holes in and it would be full of baby tortoies as big as a 1p. It was a horrible site.

#19 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2006 - 09:22 PM

i no sarah i have seen this my self not only in tunisia but in spain hundreds of tortoises in cramped misrable conditions most sick with rns, in someways you can understand why people buy them and try to (on some occasions successfully)to smuggle them back here still this isn't rcommended at all heavy fines and your just encourageing the trade to continue

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users