Growth

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Tomatillo_*

Guest_Tomatillo_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2006 - 09:07 PM

Hello
I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether tortoises contiue growing throughout their lives albeit at perhaps a slower rate once they reach adult hood, or is there an optimum size within each species.'Rosie' my 9/10 year old female Horsfield is 15.7cms{6.25"},Is she likely to grow much larger?
Regards
Tomatillo

#2 Guest_egyptiandan64_*

Guest_egyptiandan64_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2006 - 03:07 AM

At that age she could grow some more, albeit like you said very slowly. There is though an age where tortoise don't grow any more. I purchased 2 of my Chaco tortoise males in 1989. One of them grew a little bit, he was by far the youngest. I estimate about 20 when I got him. The other male was old when I got him probably close to 40. He hasn't even grown a mm since I got him, so he got as big as he'll ever be before I got him.

#3 Guest_Tomatillo_*

Guest_Tomatillo_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2006 - 12:39 PM

Thanks for your reply Dan
I read most of your posts on the forum,all of which I find most interesting.You certainly know your tortoises.
Kind Regards
Tomatillo

#4 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2006 - 11:31 AM

Hello Laura
Russians don't grow very large and only lay on average 2 eggs, they are more round than long, the older they get the less noticable the growth and a lot depends on their food intake.
But in my opinion I think they continue to grow through out their lifes. And the reason I say this, is because I have a rehomer Testudo Whitei, who is around the 70 age mark, since coming to me her health and diet have improved a lot, she wasn't cruelly treated, just left in the garden to fend for herself with no heat, she was a big girl when I got her, weighing in at 4,500 grams, I took her to the vets for a weigh in last Autumn and she topped the scales at 5,000 grams and has distinct growth rings on her shell,
Which goes to prove your never to old
Arnie

#5 Guest_Tomatillo_*

Guest_Tomatillo_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2006 - 03:30 PM

Thanks for your reply Arnie
Very interesting.Looks like I'll be taking measurements for my tort records for a very long time to come.Hopefully my daughter will take over after I've departed lol
Regards
Laura{Tomatillo}

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users