My new Elongated tortoises

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_rupert_the_dog_*

Guest_rupert_the_dog_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 12:06 PM

Got my new family yesterday.

3 female and 2 male Elongated. 1 female and 1 male adults at 12 inch's and 3 x 9 inch Subs.

They had all been kept in a 6 x 2 ft aquarium. Now split male/female each in a 6 x 3 tort enclosure over winter.

Lets see of these pics load OK....

#2 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 12:12 PM

Brilliant Mike they look good hope your get eggs soon once they have settled any pics of the sub-adults

#3 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 12:23 PM

wow nice looking tortoise your very lucky

#4 Guest_rupert_the_dog_*

Guest_rupert_the_dog_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 12:25 PM

Hi Darren,

I will upload some more pics later.

I have left them alone for now as all the reading I did told my how shy they were.

BUT, the 2 adults and 1 female sub are out and eating already which I am amazed at, it took nearly 3 weeks for my Reds to start eating properly.

The homes are built around your design of 1ft sterilised top soil but I have used reti bark on top at about 3 inch deep. They have a large bathing area 2 inch's deep (A large ceramic baking dish) which even the largest can get in.

Regards

Mike

#5 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 12:36 PM

Hi Mike
yeah they are supposed to be shy and i'm sure they are when freshly imported but seem to settle into captive life quite readly mine where really shy for months when i first got them had loads of trouble trying to get them to eat now 13yrs on they are as tame as lambs , one big problem with redfoot imports they are so stressed many die of starvation as they refuse to feed the reason you don't see many about even though hundreds have been imported

#6 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 12:47 PM

Yep as darren know that is what is happening to my male adult red foot who was wild caught, he just wont eat, i have tried tough love but he just wont eat. I have to sit with him for an hour every night and try and get him to eat. I have to mash up soaked cat biscuits and put it over his food and then he will eat, but my other reds smell the food and wont leave him alone that is why i have to sit with him. I hope with time he will get better

#7 Guest_egyptiandan64_*

Guest_egyptiandan64_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 01:57 PM

Yeah Redfoots do the same thing here too. My female ate for a week or so then stopped eating. The problem is they come in with a heavy protozoan load. I gave her a course of Metronidazole and it's done wonders. Right now she is always looking for food.
Sarah I think you should look into this with your vet, if you need dosages just ask.

#8 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 04:32 PM

I wonder if you can help me? I have a real problem viewing some pictures (all I see is a screen full of thousands of odd symbols and letters). In the two pics you loaded, the first url ends in .jpg, and I can see that one; the second picture ends in .html, and it is the second type that I can't see. I notice also that the second pic (the one I can't see) has a little symbol like a link from a chain in front of it. I've realized that whenever there is this symbol (and this happens to me on lots of pics in other forums) and the .html ending, then I can't see it, but if it has a .jpg ending then I can. Is there any reason why one of your links ends in .jpg and the other in .html, and is there any way I can overcome this problem? (I use Mozilla Firefox as a browser, if that makes any difference.)

Nina

#9 Guest_rupert_the_dog_*

Guest_rupert_the_dog_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 05:45 PM

Hi Nina,

I up loaded 2 pics this morning, one has displayed as I expected but the other has not! As you can see it created 2 links and as you noted both with different extentions. I do not know why this happened. As for your problem it looks like you might have an association problem with HTML or your browser is just not dealing with the HTML conversions. I have never used Firefox but I would recommend you upgrade to the latest version of firefox or change to another browser.

Regards

Mike

#10 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 06:02 PM

Same thing happened to Torty less yesterday on the Hermanns forum, he didn't know why it happened either, one picture was ok and another link appeared for some unknown reason, Gremlins in the works or something.lol

#11 Guest_egyptiandan64_*

Guest_egyptiandan64_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 07:46 PM

I can't see the picture either, but when I click on the address the picture comes up in a new window.

#12 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 09:07 PM

Hi Dan,
That's my problem. When I click on the address a new window comes up but it's completely filled with nonsense letters and symbols, top to bottom (no picture). I've got some suggestions on how to fix the problem, so fingers crossed . . . .

#13 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 09:05 PM

Thanks, Mike. I'll check out Firefox and see if that's where the problem lies. And someone else (was it Omare?) has sent me an interesting site where I might get advice.

#14 Guest_egyptiandan64_*

Guest_egyptiandan64_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 02:00 PM

The Elongateds look good Mike. I'm sure you'll get eggs in no time once they settle in.

#15 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 04:39 PM

Metronidazole, that rings a bell, think it was my dog that was given that when he had bad Colitis, worked wonders on him but in the end I had to change his diet completely.

#16 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 08:12 PM

Hi dan what is Metronidazole? Darren has kindly given chutney some critical care forumula while we were on holiday , he is eating but only with teh cat food on, im just glad he is eating

#17 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 08:18 PM

Antibiotics?:)

#18 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 08:53 PM

redfoots and many other tortoises have a protazoa cultcher living in the digestive tract when they become stressed and stop eating the protazoas multiply in there system causeing colic and serious stomach upset the drug Dan talks about kills of the protazoas the tortoise then feels more comfortable with out these parasites and resumes eating if it hasn'tbeen to badly affected , sarah i thought your vet de-parasited your tortoises for you i could of done this for him had i none

#19 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 08:58 PM

We had him wormed, im not sure what he used to worm him but it was tube fed.

#20 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 09:09 PM

Ok Sarah you need to ask him what he used and what that treatment would eradicate from his system if it was only panacur that only eradicates round worm and tapeworm this might be his problem he needs treating for protazoa with Metronidazole or another protazoa acting drug i'm almost certain this is his problem now you may need to do your female as well

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users