- - - - -

My new Elongated tortoises

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 09:16 PM

Ok thank you i will ring the vets tomorrow to see what they used. The female is fine and eating really well, do you think she will need it if so will all the other reds need it?

#22 Guest_ossypete_*

Guest_ossypete_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 09:17 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 08-01-06 AT 09:18 PM (GMT)]metronidazole is for flagellated protozoa , not sure exactly what that is bacteria i think , but i actually used to dose my fish with it . I kept wild discus snd they used to have the protozoans come in wth the fish quite common in wild caught stuff.

#23 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 09:23 PM

all animals suffer from protazoa infestations its usually known as coccidosis but your tortoise has whats known as a hexamita infection i'm sure sarah ,the treatmnt is still the same though yes you may have to do all the reds ask your vet he will best advise you

#24 Guest_rupert_the_dog_*

Guest_rupert_the_dog_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2006 - 06:30 PM

HI,

I have just got 2 x 250W Pearlco heater bulbs with reflectors. I am going to use 1 in each Elongated enclosure. I have never used these before so could anyone advise on what distance from the substrate they should be? Also anyone got any ideas on lighting for these torts as they do not like it bright? Anyone tried Arcadia Compact D3 reptile lamp's. 23 Watts. 7% UVB?

Cheers

Mike

#25 Guest_rupert_the_dog_*

Guest_rupert_the_dog_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2006 - 10:53 AM

The Girls...

#26 Guest_rupert_the_dog_*

Guest_rupert_the_dog_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2006 - 10:54 AM

The boys...

#27 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2006 - 11:37 AM

They look really good, do the boys get on well together? hope you dont mind me asking where did you get them from?

#28 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2006 - 11:51 AM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 14-01-06 AT 11:51 AM (GMT)]They are all really stunning animals Mike ,two well aged anmals there i would say the smaller ones are young adults rather than subadults as you can see from this picture of mine there marginal head scutes are less developed than your bigger animals yet they are sexually mature and have produced fertile eggs female is 14yrs male 9yrs
Ufortunately my female has just had an hysterectomy due to a broken egg she had inside her so there go's any more breeding attempts fr me so good look all the way to you mike hope they breed for you soon they look really good and show some signs of new growth.

#29 Guest_rupert_the_dog_*

Guest_rupert_the_dog_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2006 - 12:15 PM

Hi,

The previous owner has put 17 years old on the smaller torts so the larger must be a good age!
Got them in a private sale from Canmridge, what a drive that is!
Not sure about the males getting on just yet! The larger male I have seen eat and drink loads but not the smaller male. I might try the 2 larger together and move the smaller male in with the girls to see if this helps, yet this might create other problems. Mind you they all lived together before I got them.

Mike

#30 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2006 - 12:27 PM

Mike they will possible be fine together but when they pink up thats when the males become really amourouse to the girls and aggressive to one another bit like a bull elephant comeing into musk

#31 Guest_egyptiandan64_*

Guest_egyptiandan64_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2006 - 01:17 PM

They do look really good Mike. Like Darren said though when they turn pink they get aggressive, with each other and with the females. So just keep an eye on them.
Darren I'm sorry to hear your female won't be laying any more eggs. Hopefully you kept some of the babies.

#32 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2006 - 02:09 PM

Got three eggs that look good in the incubator and my parents have one that hatched last year, when fully recovered my two adults are going on exhibit in are new elephant house at work as part of a new asian exhibit for endangered asian animals .
Such a shame though to loose a valuable breeding female

#33 Guest_rupert_the_dog_*

Guest_rupert_the_dog_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2006 - 02:34 PM

Hi,

I have now split them, large adults in one pen and the smaller 3 in the other. They were never going to lay eggs split up now were they!!!! Oh the large male is looking pink around the eyes so I will keep an eye on things for sure.

Mike

#34 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2006 - 04:10 PM

sounds like he's coming into breeding condition when his nose pinks up he will be rearing to go females also pink up but if they don't this doesn't mean they will not be fertile my female only ever pinked up once that was september just gone but it may be because she was young

#35 Guest_rupert_the_dog_*

Guest_rupert_the_dog_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2006 - 06:15 PM

Hi,

Just heard a lot of noise in the garage so checked! Quess what the large male Elongared is butting the cornered female very hard. I have put back there hides (Only 1 tort can get in at a time) so she has somewhere to retreat! What now? Do I split them? I must admit the foreplay is brutal.

Regards

Mike

#36 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2006 - 06:57 PM

Mike its perfectly normal behaviour this can go on for some time before he mounts her ,he may also perist in biting her face and legs just keep an eye on him and if he persists seperate them ,i'm sure they have mated already so you no she will have been fertilised , if you seperate introduce again in a week but i garantee he will always be aggressive its good you have hides only one animal can get in but she will use this to avoid him and may not come out to feed or drink'i think you will find its best to keep the girls together and the boys seperate introducing them for mating only

#37 Guest_rupert_the_dog_*

Guest_rupert_the_dog_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2006 - 07:57 PM

Cheers Darren.

I think I will take your advice on splitting them. Cannot get over how brutal the butting is and the noise!!

Mike

#38 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2006 - 08:36 PM

I no its hard to watch but it has to happen they need to go through this to produce fertile eggs This was why i said i don't keep mine together only introduce for an hour or so every week when the male is pinked up after he looses his colour they tended to live abit more peacefully together

#39 Guest_rupert_the_dog_*

Guest_rupert_the_dog_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2006 - 08:45 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 15-01-06 AT 09:13 PM (GMT)]Cheers Darren,

So, the guys on there own split up, the ladies all together it is. I will introduce them again next week for a supervised hour.

1 hour Hardcore it is...

Mike

PS The Redfoots are so different since I changed there design to soil and bark! Its hard to explain but they seem so much more outgoing, hardly ever pull there heads back in with a snort when I go near them.

#40 Guest_egyptiandan64_*

Guest_egyptiandan64_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2006 - 09:02 PM

They are brutal aren't they. When I had my 2 pair you could hear the males whacking the females on the other side of the house. Even the females can get brutal with each other, so keep an eye on them and make sure they are all coming out to eat.
Like Darren said without all the whacking the females won't ovulate and lay eggs. It is hard to watch, but neccessary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users