• Guests

Posted 15 January 2006 - 09:04 PM

they obviously feel more at home now eggs soon

#42 Guest_rupert_the_dog_*

Guest_rupert_the_dog_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2006 - 10:11 PM

Thanks for help guys.

How long does it take for eggs to appear after copulation on a sucsessful mating? Redfoot, Elongated and Hermanns?

My Lady Red is acting wierd for sure! She no longer sleeps with the Male in the hide but now can be found just about anywhere in the enclosure after lights out.

Regards

Mike

#43 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2006 - 10:18 PM

Generally eggs could appear any time in your reds and elongated as they may be gravid before you got them but its generally 4-8 weeks after copulation but really you cannot go by that in my experience as they mate frequently , females generally become restless moveing about not eating paceing there enclosure (offer cuttle fish bone my reds wll devour it usually aweek before laying)eventually they settle and start to nest dig several attempt might be made before she settles on a site dnt no about your hermans do you have adult animals that are mating now

#44 Guest_rupert_the_dog_*

Guest_rupert_the_dog_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2006 - 11:22 PM

HI,

Finaly seperated the big adults as the male (Sherman) was doing some damage to the female's (Big Bertha's) Shell with his butting using a slide in wooded seperator. Checked tonight and they are head to head with the seperator in between giving the seperator hell....

I will give them every Sunday together to see what goes on! Maybe they are a couple? They are very mature and have probably been together for some time! Is it possible for tortoise's to bond?

Regards

Mike

#45 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2006 - 09:56 AM

Hi Mike you have done the right thing there otherwise one of them would get seriously injured .
I do belieave long term captives who have spent many years together do become bonded to each other i don't think the bond is as strong as it would be in a mammal but long term captives or tortoises who have lived with each other over a long period do reconise each other and even seek each others company out, i have two female ibera spur thighs who spent 60 yrs together before i had them they now live in a mixed female group of other ibera but they generally rest together and when gravid ignore the other females but seek each other out to go through the typical gravid behavouir of butting your enclosure mate , they never do it to any other of the females just each other so this shows they do reconise each other, if the males are introduced usually in late spring to the females quarters they usually ignore the younger females but look for abbey and blackie the two older girls they must have a good memory as they wouldn't have seen them for several months but still no they are about when introduced into the females enclosure.
I'm sure other people will have stories of companion tortoises too
Darren

#46 Guest_rupert_the_dog_*

Guest_rupert_the_dog_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2006 - 12:24 PM

Hi,

Some text seems to have gone missing in the above post!

Due to the butting I have now added a wood divider which i can slide in and out to keep the pair apart.

Cheers

Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users