- - - - -

Sex of horsfeild

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2006 - 04:56 PM

well i have just rescued a adult female??? horsfeild tortoise from a pet shop, she is 5 3/4 inches, perfect shell. Can you please let me know what sex you think she/he is? Sorry about the pictures she wont keep still.

#2 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2006 - 07:04 PM

here are some more pictures

#3 Guest_egyptiandan64_*

Guest_egyptiandan64_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2006 - 08:29 PM

Female all the way Sarah. If that was a male you'd know it :-) .

#4 Guest_kirsty10_*

Guest_kirsty10_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2006 - 10:16 PM

What are you going to call her??? Is that 2 females you have now???

#5 Guest_Lowe_*

Guest_Lowe_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2006 - 12:09 AM

We thought it was female, just thought it was worth showing. She's a right wriggler as you can see in the pics, she won't stay still! :D

So far Sarah's liking the name Tamara - it's Russian and will go with Boris, our male once she's out of quarantine. Hopefully they'll get on, but you never know with Horsefields...

#6 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2006 - 03:24 PM

Great name, hope all goes well for ya:)

#7 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2006 - 04:18 PM

Thanks for the replies, i did think she was female. Hope Boris gets on with her and we have some babies soon. She hasnt ate yet but is very active, so im not worried to much

#8 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2006 - 04:31 PM

Nice tortoise Sarah glad you got her see you later

#9 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2006 - 04:42 PM

I have just got off teh phone to te pet shop owner and he has told me that they have had her for over a year and she eats everything in sight. The guy who brought her has left si they are going to look in there books to see if they have got any info on the previous owners. They have also got another female horsfeild but is about 4- 41/2 inches that was with her.

#10 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2006 - 04:50 PM

Looks like Sarah will be going back to the pet shop for the other one,lol, don't balme you if you did, it's hard to say no to torts:)

#11 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2006 - 05:18 PM

No i cannot afford another one, i wish i could tho. The pet shop had loads of tortoises, leopards, hermans(babies and sub adults), cherrys. I wish i could have them all and give them a good home.

#12 Guest_Amy_*

Guest_Amy_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2006 - 08:33 AM

what makes it obvious that it is a female?
i know that mine are too young to sex at the moment - but wouldn't mind knowing what to look out for!
thanks
amy

#13 Guest_Lowe_*

Guest_Lowe_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2006 - 02:35 PM

what makes it obvious that it is a female?
i know that mine are too young to sex at the moment - but wouldn't mind knowing what to look out for!
thanks
amy

Females have shorter stumpy tails that tend to point downwards. Males have much, much longer tails that they carry to the side. With some species the differences in the tails aren't as obvious, but it is in Horsefields. :)

#14 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2006 - 04:16 PM

Have a look at this web site http://russiantortoi...male_female.htm

#15 Guest_Amy_*

Guest_Amy_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2006 - 05:10 PM

thanks for the info - website was very helpful.
i think mine are approximately 10months old - and going on the pictures from that site, i would guess that mine are female. do you think that i still to early to tell?
thanks
amy

#16 Guest_egyptiandan64_*

Guest_egyptiandan64_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2006 - 05:48 PM

I think your still to early to tell Amy. At 3 1/2 to 4 inches you should be able to sex them accurately.

#17 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2006 - 06:44 PM

He/she is defo too young to sex, glad to report that the horsfeild is eating, she ate some cuttlefish last night. Just got to have her poo checked and an xray done

#18 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2006 - 12:22 PM

Ok omare you might be right, i rang the pet shop up today as they said they might have some info on the previous owner of the horsfeild but tehy cannot find any info because she has been in the shop for year! anyway i got talking and i asked how long the other one has been in and he said even longer than the one I brought and said i could have it for 100. So i might be going to the pet shop today and getting her. I think i will be better for ratio one male to two females.

#19 Guest_rupert_the_dog_*

Guest_rupert_the_dog_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2006 - 12:29 PM

Hi Sarah,

Tortoises are a real bug! You can't have enough..

Just saw an ad for a breeding trio of adult Sulcatas..... Mmmmm I need a bigger garden!

Godd luck if you get this one.

Mike

#20 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2006 - 12:37 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 14-01-06 AT 12:37 PM (GMT)]Thank you, i just want to get her out of her tiny vivarium and give her a good home. I have the room with my other female and one more mouth to feed will be ok. I will post pictures when i get her later, she has a very bumpy shell tho

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users