- - - - -

combined heat lamps

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ossypete_*

Guest_ossypete_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2006 - 05:14 PM

ok at the moment i have a basking heat lamp , and the normal 2 ft uv tube. After advice and reading other posts on here i have thought about changing to the combined variety. Question is which one ?? seen about 3 different manufacturers of lamp, and also is it best to get a spot or flood lamp. and what happens at night , at the min the uv goes off at about 8.30 but heat lamp stays on usualy it does not light as the room is quite warm .If i had just a combined would i just put it on a timer so it comes on at 8.30 am and goes off at 8.30 pm , so having a decent temp drop at night time? ie just room temp help appreciated here :-).??

#2 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2006 - 09:06 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 19-01-06 AT 09:10 PM (GMT)]Here you go honey, as recommended by the expert "Piglet".

In his experience the powersun combined lights are not reliable they have a short life tending to blow really early in their life the best are trex flood not the spots these are also cheaper than powersun, only place to buy trex are this site, no where else seems to stock them. Thanks Darren honey, we needed this link too. lol

https://ssl55.secure...ome.php?cat=259

#3 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2006 - 09:20 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 19-01-06 AT 09:53 PM (GMT)]We have our torts at room temperature at night, no heat at all, it's really not needed. :)
I'm sure Darren will be along to give you more advice, you can sure rely on him to point you in the right direction.:)

#4 Guest_ossypete_*

Guest_ossypete_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2006 - 03:55 PM

anyone else want to comment all input greatly received :-)

#5 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2006 - 04:43 PM

We use a mixture of both and have tried different types. In our enclosures at the moment we use these, number 10's
http://www.livefoods...products_id=578
with normal 60 watt house bulb for basking which we have found suitable. Around our house we have some 60 watts and some of the combined lamps what Darren uses and they seem real good, last a fair time and we've had good results. Other people say these are good, Arnie for one always seems to recommend them so really it's gonna have to be personal choice.
http://www.aquatics-....uk/Z243494.asp and the holders to go with them
http://www.aquatics-....uk/Z560501.asp
We find they don't last that long. Good luck with your choice, hope this helps:)

#6 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2006 - 05:52 PM

Hiya with Darrens advice i brought two trex bulbs but when i opened them i realised that i brought the spot lights no the flood ones, when i rang up to return them the guy told me they stopped suppling the powersun bulbs because they keep blowing up. They are really good for red foots as they are not as bright as powersuns

#7 Guest_jeff_*

Guest_jeff_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2006 - 08:07 PM

sarah what are the spots like are thay uvb lamps,and what is the diffrents between the spot and the flood lights.thanks jeff

#8 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2006 - 08:13 PM

You can either but spot or flood lights both give of UVB but as darren pointed out to me, spot light direct the uvb to the ground where are a flood light directs the uvb everywhere. My tortoises went mad when i put them in they started looking around they couldnt understand where the uvb was coming from my spur thighed started eating the air and eating the floor and my red foots started eating the air and each others faces because thats where they thought the uvb was coming from, they have all settled down now, but shows you that strip light and separate uvb arnt very good.

#9 Guest_ossypete_*

Guest_ossypete_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2006 - 08:22 PM

Update here ,I actually did buy the Trex bulb and the difference was amazing , the torts were far more active, and bobbling about all day. Just need to get one sorted now for my babies as i have moved them to another table.

#10 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2006 - 08:25 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 12-02-06 AT 08:46 PM (GMT)]They are great arnt they actually cut my electricity as i had two 60w spot lights and one 30w uvb bulb. I need to get about 4 more for all my other tortoises but after getting the pancake tortoises im a bit skint.

#11 Guest_jeff_*

Guest_jeff_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2006 - 08:43 PM

thank you sarah for your advice about the bulbs i was not sure what the diffrence was i used powersuns, but like omar was saying that thay did not last long. mine blow for past time cost me loads of money,well not any more im going to try those other lamps.thanks jeff

#12 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2006 - 08:45 PM

I spoke to the owner of the site and he said he stopped selling power suns because they always broke, where as thease bulbs last for a long time.

#13 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2006 - 08:47 PM

I'm in the process of setting up a larger indoor enclosure and have thought about getting the combined bulb. Can you put them on a timer (I have a vague recollection of someone saying they had to cool down before being turned back on and so a timer wasn't good or something, but I'm probably just completely confused)? My other question about them is whether they can be on a thermostat (but I probably don't need that). It's just that at the moment I have my ceramic bulb (which supplements my basking light in this very cold house) on a thermostat, so I can achieve a fairly constant temperature. The temp in the enclosure does seem to vary a lot, depending on whether the central heating is on in the house, and our central heating is only on early morning and then again in the evening, so the thermostat evens things out.

Nina

#14 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2006 - 08:53 PM

i have all my lights on a timer they come on at 7.30 and are off at 7.00. I dont use thermostats sorry, I also live in a cold house so our heating is on most of the time. I have a whole room dedicated to tortoises where the temperature is about 23-25c in the day and then drops alot at night. I really recomend these bulbs as they are 20x stronger than a normal strip light and you will be amazed buy the difference it makes.

#15 Guest_Lowe_*

Guest_Lowe_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2006 - 10:59 PM

Can you put them on a timer (I have a vague recollection of someone saying they had to cool down before being turned back on and so a timer wasn't good or something, but I'm

A timer isn't so bad - as you say, you need to allow time for them to cool before switching back on, and since you're more than likely going to be 12 hours on 12 hours off, this isn't an issue.

A thermostat would probably cause problems though, I'd the constant dimming and on/off wouldn't be much good for them.

Another thing to remember is not to handle the glass of the bulb at all, the grease from your hands creates hot spots on the glass and it can encourage a premature burn out.

Oh - and don't forget not to use a normal lamp holder. You MUST use a ceramic holder since these bulbs get *seriously* hot. I've used thick heatproof cable too, just for extra piece of mind. :)

#16 Guest_l1277702_*

Guest_l1277702_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2006 - 02:58 PM

Hello!
I think it was me who said the bulbs needs time to cool down before they're turned back on, but I was referring to using a thermostat not a timer. Sorry if I caused confusion, but that's what I'm good at!
Beth x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users