- - - - -

blind hatchlings

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2006 - 07:11 PM

Can hatchlings live to be adults if they are born blind?

#2 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2006 - 07:37 PM

Don't see why not, who has some.:)

#3 Guest_tortoise_mad_*

Guest_tortoise_mad_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2006 - 07:04 AM

I am sure they will live a good healthy life, i know someone that has had a blind tortoise for years and they have no problems at all

Regards

Webmaster

#4 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2006 - 05:27 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 20-01-06 AT 05:27 PM (GMT)]I hope so, i have one at the moment, he is trying to eat everything but i can never seem to get any food down him, he just eats the air and the bark chippings. I have put some fruit and greens in a blender and added a bit of water to it, then i take it out and put it in a seive and soak him in the water as he can drink loads.
One eye is a lump where the other side is just a socket but no eye. He is very health and you cannot keep him still.
I will do my best for this little guy, but im not too worried at the moment as he is still living of his egg yoke.

#5 Guest_egyptiandan64_*

Guest_egyptiandan64_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2006 - 06:45 PM

Next time Sarah don't seive out the bits let him suck up all the good bits too. You can even add some limestone flour to the mix. He's definately going to have to be hand feed for awhile and then at least put in front of the food after. Going to be a fair amount of work, but I'm sure your up to the task :7

#6 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2006 - 06:49 PM

I will do my best, i tried him with the water in the bits in after, im just a bit worried the bits will get stuck up his nose. Yeah i did add some limestone flour. Should i do it once a day or more?

#7 Guest_egyptiandan64_*

Guest_egyptiandan64_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2006 - 07:08 PM

At least once a day Sarah. You can always soak him in some fresh water after you soak him in the mush. You could even take a small straw and suck anything that gets stuck in his nose if it ever does.

#8 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2006 - 07:20 PM

Sarah what a lovely tortoise.great picture:)

#9 Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*

Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2006 - 09:23 PM

Hi blondesarah, I know about "eating the air" I have a 17 month old tiny little Ibera, who although has both eyes, I have always suspected that he has sight problems. He was also born with a very large egg sac attached, and took a long time to join the others. My wife nursed him till he was ready to leave his egg, but he just did not progress like his siblings. Of coarse in the wild he would not have survived (natures way), also I believe that because he did not absorb all his egg sac, that would account for his size. He is still doing well though, as for feeding, he is a little slower than the others, but he gets there in the end, good luck...T.T.

#10 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2006 - 11:25 AM

Thank you, well this morning i pulled him out of his hide and put him under his spot light and he started to eat the bark chippings, so i ran the the kitchen and grabbed some food, broke it up and put it in front of him and he started to eat the food after pointing him in the right direction, i managed to take a picture. :-) :-) :-)

#11 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2006 - 04:12 PM

Please to say he ate more this afternoon, he ate a bit of blueberry, mushroom and little gem lettuce. He has ate more that my baby cherrys lol

#12 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2006 - 04:42 PM

And this ones name is....?

#13 Guest_egyptiandan64_*

Guest_egyptiandan64_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2006 - 04:54 PM

That's excellent Sarah. Once he gets to know the smells of foods he'll do even better.

#14 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2006 - 05:19 PM

I hope so, we havn't thought of a name yet.

#15 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2006 - 02:47 PM

Well he is eating really well again today, but the lump on his eye semms to be getting a bit bigger, i though it was going down yesterday. Here is a picture of his slepping with my cherrys and his eye.

#16 Guest_egyptiandan64_*

Guest_egyptiandan64_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2006 - 02:55 PM

It looks like he might need some antibiotic eye ointment Sarah. With a socket and no eye, the socket will need flushing out every day to keep it clean. They might be able to sew the lid shut when he gets a little bigger and that would help.

#17 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2006 - 03:01 PM

The socket with no eye is no problem, the eye with teh lump looks like just a bubble on the side of his face you cannot see a socket as their is no slit. Its hard to explain

#18 Guest_egyptiandan64_*

Guest_egyptiandan64_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2006 - 05:28 PM

Now I understand Sarah :D . Probably should bring him to the vets and have it looked at. They might have to lance it to find out whats going on in there.

#19 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2006 - 04:38 PM

Just to let everyone know he is doing really well, we have called him patch. He is eating everything is site and has gained 1g.

#20 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2006 - 04:52 PM

Thats Brilliant,
They look so cute, Keep up the great work!!:)

Yours
Joanne
X
www.tortoises.piczo.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users