- - - - -

testudo graeca graeca

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2006 - 09:24 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 19-01-06 AT 10:43 PM (GMT)]Well here are my first clutch of testudo graeca graeca hatchlings 4 eggs all hatched yesterday-today thought i would share plus a pic or two of mum and dad, was quite amazed how dark the babies are compared to parents they only weigh 8g one weighs 9g sorry for picture qaulity must get a better camera

#2 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2006 - 09:26 PM

another one

#3 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2006 - 09:29 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 19-01-06 AT 09:33 PM (GMT)]AAWWW, so cute and tiny, aint tortoise keeping a wonderful thing,thanks for the pictures honey.:)

#4 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2006 - 09:35 PM

They look quite big on the pictures, they are a bit bigger than your finger nail, so cute.

#5 Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*

Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2006 - 10:41 PM

Great photos, and good news, its always a bit of relief when they start to hatch...unfortunately my female graeca graeca's are not laying fertile eggs at the moment, (well the last 2 years) but hopefully this year they may well lay some fertile ones?!...I hope you do not mind me asking, but do you always use vermiculite to incubate...T.T.

#6 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2006 - 10:53 PM

Hi TT my female started laying 5 yrs ago and she never produced any fertile eggs till this clutch also this is her largest clutch 4 she usually only layed two or three, last year was the first time i hibernated them so that might have something to do with the fertility i'm waking the adults up in two weeks they will of been in hibernation for 8 weeks by then.
Yes now i use vermiculite never used to i have in the past used earth, moss, sand but after watching the tt video on incubation and hatchling care i changed the results are still the same though why what do you use

#7 Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*

• Guests

Posted 19 January 2006 - 11:35 PM

Hi p1glet, my female laid 2 clutches of 10 eggs this year, 1 clutch of 8 eggs last year, and the year before that she scattered a clutch of 6 eggs on the lawn, so far, none have been fertile. I have introduced another male (last season) maybe he will sort out the fertillity problem?!...I use sand now, But in the past I did have minor success with vermiculite...T.T.

#8 Guest_egyptiandan64_*

Guest_egyptiandan64_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2006 - 04:45 AM

Darren they look great :D . Now those are graeca graeca. Those babies are dark, but the egyptians start out a sandy color and change as they get bigger. These guys will probably do the same. I would love to get eggs from mine this year. Right now the male and female Libyians I have together are giving me fits hahahahaha. They are both real active, have been for the past 3 days. The only problem is it's the female doing all the mounting. After she does that the male runs around and she chase him. Sometimes he gets behind her, but all he does is bite her back feet. Not a good way to get eggs with confused tortoises, but at least they are doing great.
I use the aspen to hatch my eggs. I don't think it matters what you use as long as it keeps the eggs still and yes the aspen is dry. Been doing it that way for almost 10 years now.

#9 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2006 - 01:42 PM

I agree Dan i think substrate is the individuals choice what works for one might not for another but i might try useing hemp see if the results are good , do you think your graeca may be gravid my female turns on her tiny partner in the same way when shes looking for some where to lay(gravid)
Darren

#10 Guest_egyptiandan64_*

Guest_egyptiandan64_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2006 - 01:49 PM

I'm sure I could have missed them breeding very easily. That could be it. I will definately have to check her. She hasn't done any pacing that I can tell yet or any digging. I will have to update what I find out today.
When I talked about the aspen I ment I use it in my incubator to put the eggs on. Been hatching tortoise eggs, at least Testudo, that way for over 8 years.

#11 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2006 - 04:49 PM

Dan i did understand ,sorry i didn't make it clear thats what i meant i might try hemp as an incubation substrate .

#12 Guest_egyptiandan64_*

Guest_egyptiandan64_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2006 - 05:14 PM

Thats okay :D . I think the hemp would work great. I checked the female, but I can't feel any eggs. That probably doesn't mean anything because if she only has 2,3 or 4 eggs I'd never feel them. She's over 7 inches and weights over 1kg. I'm going to set up a laying tub for her probably tomorrow. Any ideas Darren or T.T., like what surface temps do your females like for laying or any other tips you have would be welcome.

#13 Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*

• Guests

Posted 20 January 2006 - 07:52 PM

Hi Dan, You may find this hard to believe, but my Torts (all of them) only ever lay their eggs in the egg laying season (April to July) when the out side ground temp. is just right for them. I have never used a "Laying Tub" they just lay their eggs naturally in my garden...T.T.

#14 Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*

• Guests

Posted 20 January 2006 - 08:01 PM

Hi p1glet, my substrate is also dry, with a water container in the incubator, like you said mate, its "horses for coarses". My only concern with vermiculite was that it may have drawn moisture away from the egg?, acting like a sponge?, and I do not like misting the eggs or substrate...T.T.

#15 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2006 - 08:33 PM

Dan like TT most eggs are laid naturally out side but in some cases i do use a laying box ,
It measures 3ft x4ft 2ft high its this big as it is used for the larger tortoises to if need be ,there is a good 8-9 inches of top soil as the substrate , two 8.0 uvb tubes run across the centre and a angled 60w spot bulb in place so the heat hits the substrate at 86 f the surrounding air temp is about the same if i no i'm going to use it i give it a gentle watering the evening before , usually though tortoises that are going to use it never settle for a few days and pace endlessly around the laying box in some cases i have had to have them induced but the graeca graeca usually lays well in it none of my hermans will use it and two of the med spurs use it ok the rest will only lay out side or if the great british weather is bad for any long period they are usually induced if i suspect they are gravid Dan i hope they breed for you best of luck i'm sure you will do it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users