- - - - -

Bathing tortoise HORSFIELD

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_davylee_*

Guest_davylee_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2006 - 10:15 PM

Sorry to be a pest by asking so many questions. But I am new to tortoise keeping and have been reading many posts on here and the livefood forum. Many contradicting coments very confusing ie what food is best (I know weeds are best now)its just the other foods to give to her.
How many tines a week should I bath my Horsfield , when I do bath her she is guarenteed to empty her bowels and have a wee.

#2 Guest_Humphrey_*

Guest_Humphrey_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2006 - 11:24 PM

Hi Dave

keep asking, its the only way to learn Weeds are best, dandies, plantain, clover, sowthistle to name a few but you could also feed pansies, lavatera,plants from the Malva family or hibiscus. There are a lot of plants and weeds you can feed, it is trying to remember them all at the start Remember garden centres use chemicals though so if buying from there you need to let them grow a while to rid the chemicals! What weeds are you offering just now, if you need some more suggestions just ask.

Take care
Humphrey
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Tortsmad

#3 Guest_Lowe_*

Guest_Lowe_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2006 - 09:42 AM

A bath once a week is fine. Believe me, if she needs to empty herself in the interim, she will. ;)

Make sure once she's had a bath that you dry her off before putting her back in her enclosure. :)

#4 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2006 - 10:09 AM

Hi Dave
I would recommend bathing 3 times aweek if she is eating regulary every day if her appetite is poor , no she may not releave her self every bath time but they do tend to go toilet when more frequently when bathed , do you have a shallow water dish in her table as sometimes they go to the toilet in there water bowl

#5 Guest_davylee_*

Guest_davylee_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2006 - 01:49 PM

Yes she has a shalow water bowl but she goes any where she likes, that includes my carpets too. lol:7

#6 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2006 - 04:41 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 25-01-06 AT 04:42 PM (GMT)]Here is a picture of our tortoises having a bath. In the small tub in teh blind red foot hatchling (eating loads by the way), the medium tub is my cherry heads and the large tub is my horsfeild male lookign like he is sky diving lol. He loves a bath and would sit like this for hours

#7 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2006 - 05:19 PM

AAWWW Bless em, so cute:)

#8 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2006 - 07:35 PM

Hi Dave
if she regulary uses her water container like lowe says bath her just once aweek as she will be hydrateing her self by entering her water bowl, healthy horsfields can conserve water from there diet in general ,its best to bath newly aquired animals on a regular basis as it can be uncertain of there past history and rehydrating is the usual case

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users