- - - - -

Too many scutes

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*

Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2006 - 04:58 PM

Here is a photo of one of my 18 month old Iberas, as you can see it has a scute deformity (apart from being slightly smaller, he is eating/growing/behaving quite normally). Because I have bred quite high numbers, I am more likely to witness this, I was just wondering if any of you (who breed Torts) have experienced anything similar? I have also come across adult Torts with uneven scutes...T.T.

#2 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2006 - 05:45 PM

Here is a picture of my 9 year old spur thighed female greek tortoise which i have had since a hatchling, one of her middle scutes is deformed.

#3 Guest_amy_smith33_*

Guest_amy_smith33_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:53 PM

Multi scutes are sometimes hereditary or due to high incubation temperatures. They mostly do no harm.

#4 Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*

• Guests

Posted 29 January 2006 - 10:15 PM

Hi amy_smith33, both parent torts are normal (as in scutes) and that clutch of eggs was incubated on the cooler side of approx. 27 degrees celsius...T.T.

#5 Guest_egyptiandan64_*

Guest_egyptiandan64_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2006 - 10:38 PM

I've got a female Egyptian that has 3 coastals on each side and she throws babies that are perfect everytime. I've got quite a few tortoises with extra scutes. I haven't had any hatchlings in 6 years with extra scutes. Not sure why other than I raised the humidity, not complaining though :7 .

#6 Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*

• Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:28 PM

Hi Dan, I think extra scutes or a "split" scute is quite common, although I have to date only produced the one hatchling, your humidity theory sounds interesting though?...T.T.

#7 Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*

• Guests

Posted 29 January 2006 - 10:07 PM

Hi blondesarah, nice tort and a smooth carapace aswell...T.T.

#8 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2006 - 08:34 AM

Hello Paul
Yes my first 2 hatchlings had one schute to many on one side, in fact one had it on the left the other on the right and for ages I called them Lefty and Righty
Arnie

#9 Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*

• Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 08:36 PM

Hi arnhib, that sounds like very fitting names...oh I have just discovered another young hatchling with irregular scutes, the rear vertebral is obvious, but he has almost like a small triangle on his right costal, its hard to see in this photo...T.T.

#10 Guest_jeff_*

Guest_jeff_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2006 - 09:26 PM

Hi there TT one of my egyptians has a deform scutes thay seem ok,I dont think it does them anyharm.jeff

#11 Guest_vwplaygirl_*

Guest_vwplaygirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2006 - 12:28 AM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 02-03-06 AT 00:31 AM (GMT)]aw he is so sweet he is lovly anyways ...
1 of my redfoots has an extra 1 thats out of place and 1 that looks like its cracked but its not ....
becky xxxx:* :*
and again i just learned somethink new from u guys there called scutes..:D :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users