Help Please

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Darren_*

Guest_Darren_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2006 - 07:41 PM

:)
This is Boris, we have had him/her for 8 years, not really sure what species boris is so any help would be good, also is boris he or she ? we got him off an old lady who had had him for 19 years, when she got boris she was not sure how old but certainly not a youngster. are there any clues in the picture. Also not sure if you can make out but he/she has woken up with a white spot on his back, its right under the shell, and looks hard, i dare'nt poke at it. please help.

thanks
Darren

#2 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2006 - 08:04 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 03-02-06 AT 08:54 PM (GMT)]Hi Darren and welcome to the hermans forum your tortoise is a testudo graeca graeca from north africa libyia -algeria beautiful tortoise
Darren

#3 Guest_Darren_*

Guest_Darren_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2006 - 08:11 PM

thanks a lot any idea on the sex, more iportantly i am very worried about the white spot on his/her back.

this looks like a really good website, glad i found you, ( when i should have been working !!!)

rgds
Darren (not the expert!)

#4 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2006 - 08:24 PM

Hi Darren
Its a male and very nice one at that, the white mark is probably a small chip that is now growing out the shell repairs its self when damaged rather slowly and the white mark will be old bone being pushed up by the new growth under neath,
Darren

#5 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2006 - 08:45 PM

Boris is certainly a handsome chap, lovely pictures. Welcome to the forum honey:)

#6 Guest_Darren_*

Guest_Darren_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2006 - 08:58 PM

thank you !

you all seem great bunch,

your probably all going to kill me now, but when i was a kid i always wanted a tortoise, by the time my parents said ok they had disappeared from sale, i remeber seeing them in a garden centre for sale so cheap.

any way my wife brought this one for me from an old lady who was to old to look after him, he was a present for her daughter who had grown up and move abroad.

i always thought keeping a tortoise was chuck them in the garden, the old lettice leaf, and them put them in the airing cupboard to keep warm over winter (See i have seen blue peter), how wrong was i !! i am still learning until the year before last he was given tomatoes every day, cucumber, apples, anyway all that has stopped now and am getting to grips more with the diet but still need more help, an tips ???

#7 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2006 - 09:15 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 03-02-06 AT 09:59 PM (GMT)]Hi Darren
All i can tell you about this species is they don't mix at all with any other spur thighed species or even sub-species they are very prone to RNS (runny nose sydrome) when run with any other tortoises other than there own kind, glad you have stopped the fruit etc a good diet rich in weeds is the best for these little tortoises supplemented with romaine,cos and rocket lettuce not to much mind as they can get addicted to it plus a good sprinkle of calcium carbonate daily , they are not seen that often in the uk even though thousands of them were imported here as pets before the ban in 1984 they are considered delicate animals but yours seems to be thriveing really well thanks for shareing him with us i love these little torts north africans are my favorite
Darren

#8 Guest_Darren_*

Guest_Darren_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2006 - 09:29 PM

oh no.

bit scared now, if there are not many still around and i go and kill him i would feel really bad.

are there any website anyone knows of that specalise, have looked on the tortoise trust site.

sorry for all the questions

rgds
darren

#9 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2006 - 09:49 PM

I don't mean to alarm you, your tortoise has a good home with you, the reason they are not seen as much is they don't readily breed in the uk and most of the imports died due to bad husbandry as there was little advise about then unlike now but i have noticed a few more people are coming forward that own these little tortoises check jeffs post for instance he has graeca graeca and he has bred them to, the tortoise trust is probably the only place that mentions the husbandry of graeca graeca in any great detail.
Darren

#10 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2006 - 11:58 PM

Hi There,
What a lovely Tortoise it is so nice to see pictures and read nice stories,
Welcome to the forum!!:)

Yours
Joanne
X
www.tortoises.piczo.com
www.thetortoisehouse.piczo.com

#11 Guest_Darren_*

Guest_Darren_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2006 - 08:38 AM

i see further down the page that you have breed these as well, how r the little ones doing!

#12 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2006 - 10:37 AM

Hi Darren
Yes i have just bred 4 testudo graeca graeca but they aren't the same regional variation as yours mine are morrocan graeca yours is a libiyan variant some times refered to as Testudo graeca cyrenaica
Darren

#13 Guest_egyptiandan64_*

Guest_egyptiandan64_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2006 - 12:32 AM

Hi Darren
Before I say what I think he is, He's definately North African. A question, does he have thigh spurs?
Dan

#14 Guest_Darren_*

Guest_Darren_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2006 - 08:32 AM

yes he does dan

thks

do you not think he is whats has been suggested ???

#15 Guest_egyptiandan64_*

Guest_egyptiandan64_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2006 - 02:19 PM

Hi Darren
Yes I do think he's something different from what Darren thinks. With my male Libyian greek in hand, your male is different, more domed and wider. The head is different too, yours is darker and the eyes don't protrude up, hard to explain I know. The plastron is different also.
I'm thinking he matches the Southern Moroccan greeks, Testudo graeca soussensis much more closely.
Dan

#16 Guest_Darren_*

Guest_Darren_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2006 - 06:21 PM

thanks Dan

any one else any ideas/suggestions.

#17 Guest_jeff_*

Guest_jeff_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2006 - 05:51 PM

HI there Darren I sure you are doing ok with this guy, you see like you i keep north africans i think thay are great.just keep the cold and the damp away from him and feed a good diet and good air circulation and you cant go wrong.great photo jeff

#18 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2006 - 09:43 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 04-02-06 AT 09:44 PM (GMT)]Think i will stick with testudo graeca graeca libyian type

#19 Guest_vwplaygirl_*

Guest_vwplaygirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2006 - 08:38 AM

gr8 tort looks like ur doing a gr8 job to me m8. keep it up ....thanks becky :* xx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users