- - - - -

Another Egg

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_egyptiandan64_*

Guest_egyptiandan64_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2006 - 09:04 PM

One of my female Egyptians laid again on the 6th. Here are some pictures.

#2 Guest_Henry_Flash_*

Guest_Henry_Flash_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2006 - 09:22 PM

Congratulations on the egg and what a nice tortoise she is as well.
Thanks for sharing the photos
Peter

#3 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2006 - 09:31 PM

Nice one Dan you must have a few now
Darren

#4 Guest_mic263_*

Guest_mic263_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2006 - 10:23 PM

what a beautiful tortoise. are egyptian tortoises easy to look after.

#5 Guest_egyptiandan64_*

Guest_egyptiandan64_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2006 - 11:43 PM

I find Egyptian tortoises easy to look after. The captive born babies adapt very well to captive conditions.
Dan

#6 Guest_egyptiandan64_*

Guest_egyptiandan64_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2006 - 11:40 PM

Darren that makes 3 normal eggs. I also got a tiny nonviable egg from this same female. The first 2 normal ones are fertile, don't know yet about the new one. The first egg is about to hatch any day now.
Dan

#7 Guest_mic263_*

Guest_mic263_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2006 - 07:33 AM

how exciting i look forward to seeing the new baby. i would like to read up on egyptians would be quite interested in getting one. if i can find a breeder. i looked on the tortoise trust site but couldn,t find info on egyptians, thanks

#8 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2006 - 04:08 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 09-02-06 AT 04:09 PM (GMT)]Great photos honey, good luck, thanks for sharing the great news:)

#9 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2006 - 06:11 PM

Wow great pictures, i love egyptian tortoises but they are so expensive in the UK a pair of babies are selling for 1100 and they are very hard to come by.

#10 Guest_egyptiandan64_*

Guest_egyptiandan64_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2006 - 06:40 PM

here's a link to egyptians on tortoisetrust. http://www.tortoiset...re/species.html

When the new one hatches I will post pictures.

#11 Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*

Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2006 - 07:28 PM

Hi Dan, fantastic photos mate, Its always great to see Torts laying eggs, does she fret for very long? also it does not appear to be a very deep nesting site, is that normal for her?...cheers...T.T.

#12 Guest_egyptiandan64_*

Guest_egyptiandan64_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2006 - 08:03 PM

She does fret for awhile T.T., usually for a week at least sometimes a little more. She usually doesn't start digging in the nest box, so I'll move her to the nest box while she's digging. I'll start a small hole and she just keeps on going. The depth of the soil and the aspen layer is about 4 inches and that seems to be just perfect for Egyptians. It's hard to judge by the photo, but the egg was 2 1/2 inches down.

#13 Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*

• Guests

Posted 09 February 2006 - 08:51 PM

Hi Dan, I guess my Torts fret from 1 to 3 weeks, some are worse than others though, I have only ever managed to dig a hole once for one of my Iberas, it was quite amazing really, she had been fretting for a while, so I thought, dig a hole, (In the garden of coarse!) place her in it and off she went to lay 10 eggs...T.T.

#14 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2006 - 08:59 PM

Last May one of my iberas started nesting outside at 8.30 pm she was still digging as it went dark thought she would pack in but no she kept going even though there was a slight chill in the air i put a little davy lamp next to her and she eventually laid at 1.30am in the morning she must of thought she was a sea turtle
Darren

#15 Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*

• Guests

Posted 09 February 2006 - 10:50 PM

Hi Darren, Thats an amazing story about your "SEA TURTLE"!!!:D :D ...I cant compete with that, but last year one of my Torts started digging, and this huge storm started brewing, well by the time she started to lay, big rain was on its way, so I set up a huge patio umbrella over her, we only got a little thunder and some hail stones/rain, but at least she remained dry to finnish laying!!!...T.T.

#16 Guest_jeff_*

Guest_jeff_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2006 - 10:45 PM

Hi DAN very well done,great news cant wait to see the photos of the babes.I got 4 egyptian tortoise mine are only 3yrs old,I got mine when thay were 2 weeks old.thay are realy cute just a bit biger than a twenty pence coin.have you hatch out many babes,again well done.jeff

#17 Guest_mic263_*

Guest_mic263_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2006 - 10:59 PM

oh you lucky thing. where did you buy your egyptians? they are gorgeous.

#18 Guest_egyptiandan64_*

Guest_egyptiandan64_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2006 - 01:54 AM

I got most of my adults over 10 years ago. In the US they were pretty inexpensive then.

#19 Guest_egyptiandan64_*

Guest_egyptiandan64_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2006 - 01:51 AM

Thanks Jeff, I've hatched out over 80 altogether over the last 10 years.
Dan

#20 Guest_jeff_*

Guest_jeff_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2006 - 08:56 PM

Hi Dan well im impressed that is good results,ive been very lucky with my tortoise. Ive hatched out babes from all my tortoise apart from my egyptians, thay are only babes still but i allso think thay are all male if i send some photos of plastron will you confirm my sexing for me many thanks jeff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users