- - - - -

Meet our new tortoise

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_veebee_*

Guest_veebee_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2006 - 09:30 PM

We lost the battle to save our little Horsfield Victor,(who we had for a month) from runny nose syndrome which lead to pneumonia, he came from one of the internet sites I've seen mentioned on here.

But we now have a new spur thigh med. Great reading all the advice on the sites, I'm sure I'll be on here all the time with questions.

Meanwhile, I've a few pics, feel free to tell me if I'm doing anything wrong. Her house is the vivarium turned on its back with the glass doors taken off, has a basking lamp and uvb repti strip, feeding only weeds.

(Thats if I've sussed this downloading pictures!! )

Vivienne

#2 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2006 - 09:31 PM

i cannot load them

#3 Guest_veebee_*

Guest_veebee_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2006 - 09:37 PM

I'll try again!!

Sarah you will have to give me some tips on this!! LOL

Viv

#4 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2006 - 09:40 PM

that looks really good well done!

#5 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2006 - 09:42 PM

Just noticed be carefull on how much food you give him there seems to be alot in with him, just let him feed for an hour then take the rest out.

#6 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2006 - 09:51 PM

Hi Veebee
Thats great job well done i new that little tort would get a fantastic home
Darren

#7 Guest_veebee_*

Guest_veebee_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2006 - 10:10 PM

Thanks Sarah, only just put the weeds in on that pic, but she eats very little then leaves it, I have been leaving the food all day, eventually it goes dry I take it out on the night. She doesnt eat it all at once, do you still think I should take it all out?

Viv

#8 Guest_jeff_*

Guest_jeff_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2006 - 10:14 PM

Hi there veebee nice set up im sure your tortoise will be very happey there looks great,what have you got running of the pulse stat.jeff

#9 Guest_veebee_*

Guest_veebee_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2006 - 10:22 PM

Hi Jeff, excuse the ignorance whats do you mean by pulse stat?

Is that the black lead taped round the box,if so, its the habistat thermostat sensor. There isnt anything running off it (perhaps its the angle of my photography!!lol)

viv

#10 Guest_jeff_*

Guest_jeff_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2006 - 10:46 PM

Hi veebee no your photos are good,what is the name of your tortoise

#11 Guest_veebee_*

Guest_veebee_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2006 - 12:12 AM

Sorry Jeff, her name is "Beau Peep" (not my suggestion my daughters!!!) The skutes over her head form a perfect bow shape, looks like she has a bow on her head!! ( She's a spur thigh med).
Viv

#12 Guest_amy_smith33_*

Guest_amy_smith33_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2006 - 08:34 AM

Great pictures,of your graeca Ibera (common name spur thigh).
I hope you dont mind me making a suggestion. The tortoise house you have is too near the heat, it would be better where the slate is. As tortoises do need to have a cooler place to hide, when they need too.

#13 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2006 - 08:57 AM

What you need to do is get your tortoise in a routine, i feed my tortoises after i come home from work about 3.30 -4.00, they have had all day to bask and now are hungry, and know as soon as i walk in its time to feed. I sit with the tortoises for an hour and watch them eat and clean up, I prefer doing this then i know who isnt eating and who is. After half an hour most of my tortoises have stopped eating only the few greedy ones carry on so after an hour I take it off them. Your tortoise has been fed at lunch time every day but you can always get him into a new routine.

#14 Guest_veebee_*

Guest_veebee_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2006 - 03:41 PM

Amy thanks for the advice, I'll move the bark to the cooler end.

Sarah, I'll take on board what you say as well, I will have to feed her about 5/6 ish, (or do you think thats too late?) Its like having a new born baby again!!!;) ;)
Viv

#15 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2006 - 04:46 PM

Hello Viv
Glad you got another tortoise
Can you try and do what they would in the wild, they get up, lay on a rock in the sun and get warm, then go off in search of food, to me you are feeding it the wrong time of day, late afternoon.
Well done for taking on board the help you are being given, your tortoise will have a very long and happy life.
I take it this one came from a good breeder :-)
Arnie

#16 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2006 - 05:24 PM

Hi Viv,
Welcome to the forum, I'm so sorry to hear about your sad loss, That must have been awaful for you.
But its really nice to see you have a new one and he/she looks lovely you have done a good job of your set-up too.
Keep up the good work!!:)

Yours
Joanne
X
www.tortoises.piczo.com
www.thetorthouse.piczo.com

#17 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2006 - 05:28 PM

I would feed her a bit early if you can. My lights go off at 7 so if i fed at 6, given then a hour to eat, then its time to sleep.

#18 Guest_amy_smith33_*

Guest_amy_smith33_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2006 - 06:35 PM

Why not feed your tort early in the morning?

#19 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2006 - 09:36 PM

I dont like feeding my tortoises in the morning because.
1. They havnt warmed up enought to eat so there food goes bad
2. I dont know what they have ate and who have ate as i am at work and i cannot take the food away from them after an hour, so they might keep nibbling at it for 8 hours.
3. I have too many tortoises with dietary needs that need watching while eating

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users