- - - - -

Do graeca graeca hibernate

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jeff_*

Guest_jeff_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2006 - 09:06 PM

Hi there you guys and girls,do any of you know if graeca graeca from Morocco hibernate.Because ive never hibernated mine, and i seen a thread some where. Not sure if these tortoise hibernate or not hope you lot can help.jeff

#2 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2006 - 09:22 PM

Hi Jeff
It depends what region of morroco they come from animals in the extreme north will hibernate if the weather bcomes cold while animals from the south usaually astivate, i have a trio from northern morroco graeca graeca they hibernated for 8 weeks this year not sure if i will do it again as they woke up wih wet noses
Darren

#3 Guest_jeff_*

Guest_jeff_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2006 - 10:08 PM

HI Darren do know what region of morroco mine are from

#4 Guest_jeff_*

Guest_jeff_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2006 - 10:11 PM

And does wet noses mean nrs

#5 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2006 - 10:35 PM

Hi Jeff
Sorry didn't explain this properly yes the woke with signs of RNS but it seemed to clear up after a few days untreated a careful watch is now in progress just incase , they seem fine in all other ways mind feeding etc, not sure what i did wrong to be honest ,but don't want to risk looseing this group maybe hiberatio is not right for this type
Darren

#6 Guest_jeff_*

Guest_jeff_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2006 - 10:49 PM

HI Darren
Yes i understand im sure you did nothing wrong i wont try hibernate mine, just after reading 1 of your threads i was not sure. Although i didnt think mine would hibernate because mine dont carry much fat reserves,well i dont think so.cheers jeff

#7 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2006 - 11:01 PM

Hi Jeff
I have noticed that some one called tortoisemadmike has joined this forum his proflie says north african tortoises are his passion may be he will shed some light on the graeca gareca hibernation theroy ,Dan if you read this do you hibernate any o your graeca spp
Darren
P.S welome tortoisemadmike to the forum

#8 Guest_jeff_*

Guest_jeff_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2006 - 11:10 PM

Hi Darren ive noticed that as well hope he comes in and have tortoise talk welcome to tortoisemadmike its great here.cheers

#9 Guest_egyptiandan64_*

Guest_egyptiandan64_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2006 - 01:25 AM

Hi Darren and Jeff,
No I don't hibernate my North Africans. In the past I've had the same trouble you did Darren with trying to cool down Libyians. They got RNS and it wasn't fun to pull them through. I don't hibernate any of my North Africans now.
Dan

#10 Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*

Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2006 - 11:37 PM

Hi Jeff, I hibernate my Graeca graecas, and have done so for years!...T.T.

#11 Guest_jeff_*

Guest_jeff_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2006 - 11:42 PM

Hi T.T are yours north african tortoise.jeff

#12 Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*

Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2006 - 12:00 AM

Hi Jeff, yes they are, I havent got many photos of my adults, so when they all come out of hibernation, I will be busy with the camera...T.T.

#13 Guest_Darren_*

Guest_Darren_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2006 - 08:35 AM

i have a graeca graeca-algerian, have been told by the Tortoise trust not to hibernate, he is estimated to be around 50 and has always been hibernated,i have had him for 8 years and do not always hibernate as it always takes him a couple of weeks to get going again, and it's very scary.

rgds
Darren

#14 Guest_Tortoisemadmike_*

Guest_Tortoisemadmike_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2006 - 11:07 PM

Hi Guys,
The big question hibernation or not!.
The Libyan Tortoises i have have been hibernated in this country by their previous owner for the last 40 years with no problems.

I think you have to do whatever you feel most comfortable with.

I agree with Jeff in that to change a tortoises routine could present problems.

There are breeders out there who hibernate and still obtain fertile eggs but generally one clutch per year.

I think by not hibernating you would probably obtain more eggs from the females can anyone comment on this?

Michael.

;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users