- - - - -

Advice on settling in new tortoise

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_veebee_*

Guest_veebee_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2006 - 09:39 AM

Bought a 8/9year old horsefield Sunday, he hasnt eaten anything, his beak was very overgrown, took him to vets last night to have it clipped it looks ok now. But all he wants to do is hide under his log. Not interested in food or coming out. Have been bathing him each day. Is there anything I should do to help him settle or should I just leave him alone to suss his new home out?

Viv

#2 Guest_ossypete_*

Guest_ossypete_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2006 - 10:13 AM

he is probably sulking i had this with my adult redfoots , my female was ok after a few days of hiding , but my male hid away for nearly 2 weeks he was a right victor meldrew !!. they are both fine now , they both come to see you if youstand near the table. I am guessing he is a bit unhappy after having a strange bloke filing his beak down . give him a few days i am sure he will come out ofhis shel so to speak .

#3 Guest_Lowe_*

Guest_Lowe_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2006 - 11:48 AM

Yeah, it can take a while for them to adjust to new surroundings. Just remember they're not mammals, and they'll go without food for quite some time especially when adjusting to a new diet.

Just keep up uwhat you're doing, he'll come around eventually :)

#4 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2006 - 03:43 PM

Hiya viv your tortoise was kept on carpet for years so i'm not suprised he isnt happy, dont worry he will get used to his new enclosure, it may take a week or so but he will be fine.

#5 Guest_amy_smith33_*

Guest_amy_smith33_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2006 - 03:52 PM

Nearly all tortoises will take time to ajust to a new home. Especially if he/she has just had a visit to the vets. Some can take a week or more before they start eating etc. Just try and keep your tortoise hydrated by bathing.

#6 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2006 - 04:06 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 22-02-06 AT 04:06 PM (GMT)]Yeah even older tortoises appriciate a nice bath now and again, try a warm bath for say 20 mins dry him off then put him under the basking lamp and he might just liven up a bit Its worth a try:)

Yours
Calamity Jane
www.tortoises.piczo.com
www.thetorthouse.piczo.com
My Tortoises:
1.4.2 Hermanns

#7 Guest_veebee_*

Guest_veebee_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2006 - 07:14 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice, I'll take it on board, you've put my mind at ease a little. Didnt realise they could be such a worry!!

Viv

#8 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2006 - 10:14 PM

Hiya how is he getting on?

#9 Guest_veebee_*

Guest_veebee_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2006 - 10:26 PM

I am afraid he is still hiding up the corner or under his log hut, he doesnt move unless I move him into the middle then he creeps back to the corner, he wont eat. I have been bathing him so hopefully he's getting hydration, (even if it is up his bum!!)
I shall be using the T rex uvb/heat lamp tomorrow on him. I cant make out if he is ill or just having a strop at coming to a new home.

Would be grateful for any help/advice/reassurance

Viv

#10 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2006 - 10:29 PM

I am sure he is in a mood hopefully the new lamp with cheer him up no end. He just needs to get used to his new home.

#11 Guest_veebee_*

Guest_veebee_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2006 - 10:37 PM

Sarah, I will be suspending the T rex uvb/heat lamp over the Horsfield torty box and over that spur thighs box (ie in the middle of the two) did you hang yours about 12 inches or is it higher, off the substrate? Just need a rough idea so that i can get the temp underneath sorted.

Viv

#12 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2006 - 10:41 PM

It does say it on the box, my box's are in the tortoise room and they are all asleep right now (I can ring you tomorrow). It also depends on temperature, put a thermometer underneath the lamp and lower it or higher it to the correct temperature. Yeah i would put it in the middle of the two as it is a flood.

#13 Guest_veebee_*

Guest_veebee_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2006 - 10:47 PM

Thanks thats ok, I'll put the thermometer under and keep checking, raising and lowering.

I'm really tempted by the sale of those two Hermans on the for sale section. That would complete my set!!! and there would be room under the lamp for them!!!
Oh well will carry on saving and dreaming!!!

Viv

#14 Guest_veebee_*

Guest_veebee_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2006 - 12:34 AM

Hi
just had to let you know our Horsefield "Sunny Jim" has finally had a bite to eat, now dont tell me off, I know he shouldnt have it, but he had a bite of...... bread off my son!! I am just pleased that he has eaten something, its proved to me that he was choosing not to eat!! Should I give him a weed sandwich LOL!! (only joking)

Problem is what do I do now, cant keep feeding him bread!!:o Think he likes table scraps, will he ever get used to weeds??

Viv

#15 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2006 - 03:02 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 08-03-06 AT 04:32 PM (GMT)]HiYa Viv,
Have you tried sqeezing some strawberry juice on to his food the smell of this might make him eat,
I would percivere if i was you, Dont give in. Tough love is whats needed here.
I know its hard but dont feed Bread. Have you tried a bit of cuecumber, This is'nt ideal but at least he will get some water,
I would try with the strawberry juice and see how he goes. (Dont Give In ) ;)

Yours
Calamity Jane
www.tortoises.piczo.com
www.Testudo-hermanni-boettgeri.piczo.com
My Tortoises:
2.3.2 Hermanns

#16 Guest_Lowe_*

Guest_Lowe_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2006 - 04:28 PM

Definately don't give in, it takes a while, but they will eat when they need to. If he's not active, then he's not burning up energy and so doesn't need to replace it. Once he's settled in a bit and is becoming more active, he'll soon have to eat - and if he's only got weeds to eat then so be it ;)

#17 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2006 - 04:32 PM

Viv you have got to remember your tortoise was given chips and left overs. There is not wonder it is taking it so long to eat weeds.

#18 Guest_shootinglou79_*

Guest_shootinglou79_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2006 - 06:01 PM

awww good news viv flower, my spur was fed the wrong stuff, but now she's eating weeds like a hog, thnx to likeing the auboise and settling in alot better, keep us posted darling xxxx

linzi-lou

1.1.0. hermann tortoises
0.1.0. spur thigh(med)tortoise

#19 Guest_veebee_*

Guest_veebee_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2006 - 06:22 PM

Thanks I am still having trouble getting auboise, phoned the Auboise company up(thanx Calamity for link), nearest supplier to birmingham is Stafford, cant believe none of the horsey places round by me have ever heard of it!!!
News flash he's just this very moment eaten tiny bit of tomato. Noticed his beak isnt sharp enough to cut the food, this must be as a result of the vet clipping it. So the dandelions are on the same plate so they might be next. Spoke to his last owner and Sunny had free run of the living room, so now we have him out with us for hour or so and he is like a different torty so inquisitive and thats when he eats. Sorry to go on, Viv

#20 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2006 - 06:27 PM

Viv
My local Horse supplier had never stocked it until I went and ordered it, They will get it for you if you ask them to order it in.

Yours
Calamity Jane
www.tortoises.piczo.com
www.Testudo-hermanni-boettgeri.piczo.com
My Tortoises:
2.3.2 Hermanns

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users