- - - - -

dwarf cherry headed redfoots

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tortoise_crazy_*

Guest_tortoise_crazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2006 - 11:35 AM

can any body give me any imformation on the incubation of Dwarf Cherry Headed Redfoot tortoise eggs, i know at just under 10 inches that they are adult, but the male is 7 1/2 inches, do you think he should be big enough for them to breed successfully? has any body got any experiance with vivtronic incubators?

#2 Guest_tortoise_lover_*

Guest_tortoise_lover_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2006 - 12:07 PM

your pictures are lovely

#3 Guest_tortoise_crazy_*

Guest_tortoise_crazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2006 - 12:21 PM

thanks, they lend themselves to being photographed really well, the only problem you end up with thousands of photo`s.
but i would not change it.
phil

#4 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2006 - 12:41 PM

Hello,
Dont have any answers to your questions But i'm sure someone will be able to answer them shortly, Your cherrys are lovely they are nice pictures.

Yours
Calamity Jane
www.tortoises.piczo.com
www.thetorthouse.piczo.com
My Tortoises:
1.4.2 Hermanns

#5 Guest_tortoise_crazy_*

Guest_tortoise_crazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2006 - 04:13 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 25-02-06 AT 04:14 PM (GMT)]here are some more of my family

#6 Guest_Henry_Flash_*

Guest_Henry_Flash_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2006 - 04:52 PM

Your pictures are great. I really like leopards just wish I had the space

#7 Guest_tortoise_crazy_*

Guest_tortoise_crazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2006 - 05:45 PM

we have 7 of them, 4 of them we have taken in because people do not realise how big they get and what it costs to look after them over the coarse of a year.

#8 Guest_rupert_the_dog_*

Guest_rupert_the_dog_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2006 - 05:56 PM

Hi Phil,

Nice to see you on here. I would recognise 'darth mole' anywhere. The Leopards look fantastic.

Welcome to a great forum.

Cheers

Mike

#9 Guest_tortoise_crazy_*

Guest_tortoise_crazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2006 - 06:02 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 25-02-06 AT 06:05 PM (GMT)]thanks how is your search going?

#10 Guest_rupert_the_dog_*

Guest_rupert_the_dog_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2006 - 06:07 PM

Hi Phil,

You follow the leads and hope you find the holly grail, So far only found dead ends!

Cheers

Mike

#11 Guest_tortoise_crazy_*

Guest_tortoise_crazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2006 - 06:09 PM

we have to find the pot of gold sooner or later

#12 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2006 - 06:21 PM

Wow what great tortoises, i saw the pictures of your cherry heads on livefoods they are amazing. I have two baby cherry heads hope they grow up to be as nice as yours

#13 Guest_tortoise_crazy_*

Guest_tortoise_crazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2006 - 06:37 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 25-02-06 AT 06:39 PM (GMT)]we are hoping to breed them in the future they lay eggs, but that is as far as it gets, we do not know if the male is still to young, we have hatched eggs before, but theirs are proving difficult, even to the extent that they have exploded in the incubator, my god what a smell.

#14 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2006 - 06:59 PM

Hi T crazy and welcome to the forum,those cherries are stunning , well as no one else has replied to the thread title thought i would give abit of info as i breed redfoots and have agreat success with incubation and hatching;
Firstly i have never used the incubator type you mentioned but as its designed for reptiles i'm sure it's perfect , i use a hova bator bird incubator they are not as costly as most and i have had great success in useing them for a variety of tort species.
Is your male sexually active because if he is i can't see why eggs wouldn't be fertile from any matings ,have your femles laid or are you just interested in incubation tecniques for the future;
I use small plastic tubes that i fill with about an 1/2 inch of vermiculite but have used moss and soil in the past with good results,i generally lightly spray the substrate but other wise leave it dry (i no some people suggest damping it down regulary which i used to do but found hatching not as successful a few eggs where dieing in early incubation) the humidity is kept at 75-80% right the way through the incubation period, in bird incubators this can sometimes prove difficult as they don't hold humidity as well as the newly designed reptile incubators but it can be done by havig damp clothes on the main tray floor as well as filling the water troughs, temp i find 31c has good results but the temp range's can be from 29c-32c, fertility is usually seen at 10 days useing a small pocket torch put next to the egg in a dark room mind you saying that i have sometimes noticed that eggs that appear clear can show development at as long as 15 or even 20 days so don't be disheartened if no results of fertility show at 10 days,incubation period varies greatly for reds from between 120- 170 days even clutches of the same age can vary in hatching i have had a clutch start hatching at 130 days with the lst baby out and the last has hatched 2 weeks later so again don't panick if all your eggs don't hatch together well think thats everything any more details just ask i'm only to happy to help
Darren

#15 Guest_tortoise_crazy_*

Guest_tortoise_crazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2006 - 07:10 PM

all that was super, thanks darren.
the male is very much sexually active, but at 7 1/2inches i do not know if he is upto it, but he is supposed to be a dwarf cherry head, we are currently searching for another male.
they have layed eggs already, we have had six clutches of 2 eggs, but last year was the first year we ever had eggs off them.
we currently use a hovabator, the vivtronic was an incubator that i saw while trawling the internet and i was just wondering if any one had used them.

#16 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2006 - 08:13 PM

Hi again
Cherryheads are one type whether they are called cherries or dwarf cherries there does tend to be a variatin between though between color pattern of certain indiviuals i would definately say hes an adult even at 7 i/2 inches as there total adult size is from 7-12 inches of course males are ment to be bigger than females but this isn't gossple , i had fertile eggs once from a mating between a 5 year old hermans to 50+ adult female of which two hatched out of the 7 she laid , are your eggs in the incubator and if so how long have they been incubated for now , i must say though your adults are stunning if i didn't have these big reds of mine i would certainly be looking into adult cherries
Darren

#17 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2006 - 07:19 PM

WOW"
What lovely leopards you have I love those pictures especially the 3rd one with its mouth open I would have it in a frame lol,
I am trying to perswade my Hubby to let me have some leopards but he says no more lol, But I am working on him, I usually get what I want in the end, Just have to keep fluttering my eyes at him lol;)

Yours
Calamity Jane
www.tortoises.piczo.com
www.thetorthouse.piczo.com
My Tortoises:
1.4.2 Hermanns

#18 Guest_tortoise_crazy_*

Guest_tortoise_crazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2006 - 07:23 PM

that one is framed on the wall, saying that we have loads framed on the wall, that was him romancing one of the females, he was in the zone!

#19 Guest_Darren_*

Guest_Darren_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2006 - 07:11 PM

They look fantastic, how do you keep them when its to cold ????

#20 Guest_tortoise_crazy_*

Guest_tortoise_crazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2006 - 07:17 PM

at present they are in a heated shed, with power sun lighting and oil filled radiator, it is not great but functional.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users