- - - - -

Indian Star Information

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jess14_*

Guest_jess14_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2006 - 04:02 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 26-02-06 AT 04:03 PM (GMT)]Can someone suggest care advice for Indian Stars? All the websites seem to conflict each other and one of them even said feed them bananas!!
Does anyone recommend websites? Or know anything about Indian Stars?

#2 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2006 - 04:55 PM

hi jess
i keep indian stars they are housed in atable top type enclosure, they have 50%sand50%soil substrate i one half and beech chips in the other i keep it very dry but do offer them a water bowl to drink from there diet consists of freshly gathered weeds whith ground timothy grass hay sprinlked on them occasionally i add some diced cucumber or courgette i use a trex uvb combination heat bulb 100w but the room temp (ambient room temp) is 86f through the day and drops to about 70f at night i leave the lamp on for 16 hours daily

#3 Guest_jeff_*

Guest_jeff_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2006 - 05:09 PM

HI Darren you have a good set up there,I like the star they are lovely torts.how old are thay,how big is the tortoise table you keep yours in,how long have you been keeping them.hope you dont mind the questions. ive been thinking of getting a small group them or iberas not sure yet.thanks jeff

#4 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2006 - 05:20 PM

Hi Jeff
the table is 4ftx3ft they are arond 5yrs old i no there is a difference in size but they where all the same size when i got them 12 months ago but some have grown bigger than others but they are all putting on weight but just at different levels , i keep both ibera and stars both are really wonderful species
Darren

#5 Guest_jess14_*

Guest_jess14_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2006 - 06:01 PM

What sand do you use? Where do you get timothy grass from? We were going to give them Bermuda hay, is that ok? We have a thermostat-controlled uPVC outdoor heated enclosure for them
Jess

#6 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2006 - 07:04 PM

Hi Jess again;
You can by childrens play sand from BQ , also have you thought about aubiose hemp bedding for horses i might be changng mine over to this not sure yet though need a little more reasearch into stars and hemp but my leopards thrive on hemp really well and there care is almost identical to stars.
As for your set up i think it will be great as long as you maintain the correct temps and keep your substate dry
Darren

#7 Guest_jess14_*

Guest_jess14_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2006 - 08:14 PM

Thankyou. We are getting our tortoises from a reptile shop in Wigan. Does that sound OK?

#8 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2006 - 08:23 PM

jess be careful of pet shops thats all i can say , did you get in touch with marcus langford he's a private breeder http://www.leeardern...arcus/torts.htm
Darren

#9 Guest_jess14_*

Guest_jess14_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2006 - 08:40 PM

Yes, but we don't want hatchlings! The man says that they are 100% UK captive bred. They are 6 years old, and a relatively hard to come by.
It all sounds ok. Any other advice?

#10 Guest_shootinglou79_*

Guest_shootinglou79_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2006 - 08:57 PM

ahh great darren, thnx for mentioning about marcus, i wondered about him as im wanting to buy a couple of marginated, will be in touch soon for a couple of spurs ;) (while im visiting chester zoo lol)

linzi-lou

1.1.0. hermann tortoises
0.1.0. spur thigh(med)tortoise

#11 Guest_shootinglou79_*

Guest_shootinglou79_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2006 - 09:01 PM

plzz be carefull though jess as 99.9% of pet shops sell imports, i learnt the hard way and nearly lost one of my hermanns through stupid pet shops, and like you say sub adult stars are a rarety to come by flower, ask to see the paper work 1st, take care and good luck
:-)

linzi-lou

1.1.0. hermann tortoises

#12 Guest_jess14_*

Guest_jess14_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2006 - 10:01 PM

Thanks Lou and Piglet,
we have taken your advice and cancelled the Stars. Could everyone keep their ears out for some adult (proven UK bred) stars for me?
Thanks,
Jess :-)

#13 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2006 - 10:12 PM

jess i'm so glad i was abit worried you might get animals that weren't 100% fit i will deffinately keep a look out for you
Darren

#14 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2006 - 10:25 PM

jess found this on slowcoach
FOR SALE
Male and female Indian Star tortoises, 6" to 11" in length and in good health. Bred and born in captivity. Genuine enquires only.
Crieff, Scotland.
Rstibbles3@aol.com

#15 Guest_shootinglou79_*

Guest_shootinglou79_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2006 - 10:30 PM

aww jess, great news, i know its hard to say no to any tort, still i wish you good luck, as soon as you get your gorgeous stars, plz plz post pics, take care xx

linzi-lou

1.1.0. hermann tortoises

#16 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2006 - 11:54 PM

Hi Jess,
Great advice from the guys above I am glad you have took there advice. I will also keep a look out for you, Good luck and keep us informed.

Yours
Calamity Jane
www.tortoises.piczo.com
www.thetorthouse.piczo.com
My Tortoises:
1.4.2 Hermanns

#17 Guest_KERRYPUDGE1_*

Guest_KERRYPUDGE1_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2006 - 12:47 PM

Was the petshop appleton exotics?I got my tort from there.i wouldnt reccomend it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users