- - - - -

Really stress out

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jill_ramma_*

Guest_jill_ramma_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2006 - 04:29 PM

Hi everyone,well wot a day im tortoise sitting for the week,so i thought i would get some info i found this wonderful website yesterday,so i've been to pick up my friends horsefield the first thing i noticed it was in a tank,no water, lives in sawdust she feeds in lettus every day,my friends had him for 3 and a half years, god only knows how he's still alive, she said he dosen't need water he gets it from the lettus thats wot the pet shop told her, so today i've been telling her everthing that i have been reading off this brill website,she was really shocked,we went to our local pet shop to see wot he had to say,he said don't feed it lettus feed him cabbage,change sawdust to wood chip sort lighting out get drinks bowl ect.. also in her tank she only has a amber 60 watt bulb thats it!! i told him i'd been on a forum and all you lot say a tank is a no,no but he said it's a usa website and they can have open boxes it hotter over there!!! OPPPSS!!so sorry to ramble love jillx

#2 Guest_Henry_Flash_*

Guest_Henry_Flash_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2006 - 04:41 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 28-02-06 AT 04:42 PM (GMT)]No tanks really aren't the best thing for a tortoise and he really needs to be taken out of there and put in a table top enclousure. a plastic underbed storage container works well as I know a few people on here use them. Next diet Don't feed cabbage it's no good tortoises need a diet of weeds as there healthy and natural. Also sawdust is not good try using sand and soil mix or hemp. Sorry to get all airated its just the things pet shops tell people it makes me so angry

#3 Guest_jill_ramma_*

Guest_jill_ramma_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2006 - 04:51 PM

I feel all airated too!i have to look at the poor thing,i know nothing about tortoise but all the reading i have been doing in the last day i give the pet shop bloke a run for his money.. he got a bit stressed in the end..haha,this is so stress full with him not been mine so i wont give him savoy cabbage ,not sure if i would dare give him any weeds out of my back garden,only things i have in fridge is cucumber,lettus,ect help please love jill,p.s friend said turn light off at tea time frightend he's going to get cold bless him love jillx

#4 Guest_mattgriffin1_*

Guest_mattgriffin1_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2006 - 04:43 PM

This is a british website and it is ridiculous for the pet shop owner to say that they need a tank to keep warm! You have discovered that most pet shops haven't got a clue about the animals they are selling and most of the time are simply out to make a profit. Definately don't start feeding it cabbage as he suggested. The tortoise needs access to water at all times although admittedly russians don't tend to be seen drinking an awful lot, but they should have the choice. He needs to be housed in a table-top enclosure during winter and should be in a secure outdoor enclosure as much as possible over spring and summer. By far the best diet is weeds and more weeds but some types of lettuce are ok when weeds are in short supply.

Look here

www.thetortoisehouse.com

and here

www.tortoises.net

for excellent advice on diet and enclosures. Well done for realising the problems, you can now ensure this tortoise has a much healthier and happier life.

Matt.

#5 Guest_veebee_*

Guest_veebee_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2006 - 04:45 PM

good job your friend and her torty has a good friend like you!! Looks like the Horsefields on its way to a much better life. Hopefully your friend will take on board all the good advice.

Viv

#6 Guest_jill_ramma_*

Guest_jill_ramma_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2006 - 04:55 PM

Thanks for all your advice,he's had a bath twice in 3 and a half years,so im going to treat him to one, spoil the poor thing

#7 Guest_Henry_Flash_*

Guest_Henry_Flash_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2006 - 04:57 PM

Yes really he needs to be bathed a couple of times a week. Glad that you have done some research which will help this little tortoise have a better life

#8 Guest_jill_ramma_*

Guest_jill_ramma_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2006 - 05:07 PM

I'm going to print so info out for them to look at,they arn't like me i alway find forums and do loads of research when i get a new addition to my family,i thinking i'd love a tortoise now,but with the G.s.d,rat and koi i don't think the bossman will let me..:9 thanks again to all of you jillx

#9 Guest_Henry_Flash_*

Guest_Henry_Flash_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2006 - 05:19 PM

I know what you mean but my mini zoo still keeps growing even with my mum to contend with

#10 Guest_jill_ramma_*

Guest_jill_ramma_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2006 - 05:57 PM

Hi it me again, just got nevel some weeds out of me garden,i pray to god that they are ok for him,i gave them a good wash,he loves them:7 love jillx

#11 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2006 - 06:30 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum, As stated tanks are a big no no for tortoises, i have 3 horsfields, 1 is housed in an ikea tub and the other two are housed on the floor of a bed room (see pic below). The thing to remember is diet is really important if you dont get it right you can be slowly killing a tortoise.
Have a look at this web site it is brilliant.
If you want any more advice please ask.
http://russiantortoise.org/

#12 Guest_jill_ramma_*

Guest_jill_ramma_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2006 - 06:52 PM

Thanks blondesarah for the info,my friends not a computer person so i will gather as much info as i can,im still worrying about feeding him different weeds from the garden,the last thing i want to do is poison the little guy,friend said turn light off around this time so i have,he's eaten all the weeds that i give him thanks again jillxx
p.s still can't believe he's survived this long just with 60watt bulb and no water

#13 Guest_jill_ramma_*

Guest_jill_ramma_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2006 - 06:54 PM

Hi is me again,just a quick question ,pet shop owner said it to hard to keep open tops heated,true or false?also he was talking to friend about heat pads???

#14 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2006 - 06:59 PM

Tortoise need a hot spot and a cool spot and a table top enclosure does this, I use 60 watt bulbs for my enclosures but i do make sure that the temp in the hot spot reaches 30-32c. Heat pads are a big no no they burn tortoises. Tortoises can withstand a temperature drop at night.
Below are two tortoise tubs i made.

#15 Guest_jill_ramma_*

Guest_jill_ramma_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:05 PM

oo so bulb is fine, pet shop bloke said she need a uvb and a heated light, can't remember wot he called it,your tortoise tubs are fab,you should sell em on e-bay..lol

#16 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:10 PM

Sorry should have stated i use a 60watt bulb and a uvb. I have recently brought a combined trex bulb (uvb and heat in one) and the uvb they give off is brilliant, but they dont give much heat off. My tubs are from ikea or from B&Q (im sure other places do them) can you not just buy a tub for your friend as they are under 10. As for substate use hemp (from any horse supplier very very cheap) or 50/50 mix of play sand and top soil.

#17 Guest_jill_ramma_*

Guest_jill_ramma_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2006 - 08:19 PM

Hi i would gladly buy her a tub,but i don't think she would have it in her house,very house proud she is,not like me i have animal stuff everywhere..lol,well i have just bathed nevel and let him walk around for a bit,he had a nice big wee and 2 poo's on my floor..lol hope those weeds havn't gave him the skits also i hope tonight hasn't been to much for him thanks again love jill,p.s it not fair i want a tortoise..lol

#18 Guest_jill_ramma_*

Guest_jill_ramma_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2006 - 08:21 PM

here are some ssssssssssssss key boards playing up please put them in where they are needed ..lol goodnight all

#19 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2006 - 08:25 PM

carnt you buy the tortoise off her. Tortoise should not be kept in a tank it is cruel. How long have you got the tortoise for?

#20 Guest_jill_ramma_*

Guest_jill_ramma_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2006 - 08:35 PM

for a week,she getting rewiring done, she won't sell him,she said she was going to get bigger tank,but i keep saying they are no good she has two small children so she said she can't get open top,i really feel for nevel since i've put him back he's just been climbin up the glass in a corner,i should have him i wouldn't keep him under the table

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users