- - - - -

Out of Hibernation...

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*

Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2006 - 09:59 PM

Hi all, I noticed signs of movement(for the 1st time)with my now nearly 19 month old Iberas, so I guess it was time to wake the rest of them up. I cooled them down for approx. 3 weeks, then full hibernation for just over 5 weeks(I wish I would have put them down for longer now!)So they have not eaten anything in over 2 months. This was the 1st time I have hibernated torts this young, I used the box method, once they were all awake, I bathed them(for well over an hour)keeping the water warm and constantly changing it. They were allowed to heat up, then I gave them weeds straight from my garden, and I would say most of them had a nibble(some more than others)but I am confident all we be feeding normally within days. I took some photos please enjoy...PS. I have been away for awhile(another reptile forum!) and boy what a laugh!!!...T.T.

#2 Guest_veebee_*

Guest_veebee_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2006 - 10:09 PM

Well done, they look gorgeous a picture of health, bet its done them the world of good. Sometimes wish someone would hibernate me over the winter lol!!
Great pictures.

Viv

#3 Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*

• Guests

Posted 01 March 2006 - 08:19 PM

Thanks Viv, I know what you mean, I could do with a lonnnnnnnnnnnng sleep!...T.T.

#4 Guest_jeff_*

Guest_jeff_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2006 - 10:14 PM

HI TT well done im so glad that every one is ok,you must be feeling well on top.i will wake my hermanns up very soon,i can not wait to see them again i will send you guys pics.well done again tt,jeff

#5 Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*

• Guests

Posted 01 March 2006 - 08:22 PM

Thanks Jeff, look forward to seeing pics of your Hermanns, what method of hibernation/duration have you used?...T.T.

#6 Guest_jeff_*

Guest_jeff_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2006 - 09:02 PM

Hi TT i hibernated my hermanns in a box just like yours, i have used the fridge in the past but never got on with it after loseing one of my hermanns.ive never lost any useing the box method,i put top soil in the base and news paper on the top.The box i use is a polyfish boxs, and i run my tortoise down bathing them and after 3 weeks orso i place them in the box with out the lid for 1 day to get settled.i put mine down just before cristmas day and i wake them up march or when i can see movement.i will send pics soon they are still asleep.take care jeff

#7 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2006 - 10:15 PM

Hi TT
Wondered where you had disappeared to wasn't livefood by any chance was it!
Anyway they look great woke up my adults last week both boetgeri and the iberas they came round great to ate the same day, paired the males to the female's for an hour or so on sunday matings took place no trouble just need good weather now to put them out side for abit
Darren

#8 Guest_shootinglou79_*

Guest_shootinglou79_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2006 - 10:19 PM

nice one tt, lovely looking darlings!! which forum you been at eh eh lol

linzi-lou

1.1.0. hermann tortoises
0.1.0. spur thigh(med)tortoise

#9 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2006 - 10:47 PM

T.T
So pleased that your babies are all doing fine.
They look lovely I am going to hibernated all mine this year.
Thanx for showing the pictures they are Great!;)

Yours
Calamity Jane
www.tortoises.piczo.com
www.thetorthouse.piczo.com
www.Testudo-hermanni-boettgeri.piczo.com
My Tortoises:
1.4.2 Hermanns

#10 Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*

• Guests

Posted 01 March 2006 - 08:39 PM

Hi there Calamity, thanks, by this year do you mean the end of this year, as in winter time? if so good luck ;)...T.T.

#11 Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*

• Guests

Posted 01 March 2006 - 08:35 PM

Hi linzi-lou, I think you know the answer to that one ;) after all you are a member!...T.T.

#12 Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*

• Guests

Posted 01 March 2006 - 08:30 PM

Hi Darren, No not livefood (is that any good?) No this other reptile forum is a right laugh (there are a couple of members on here who use it!). I am gearing towards a "big wake up" for all my adults very soon, I may even do it this weekend? I cannot wait for the weather to break, a nice early warm spring would be nice, I have had a female lay naturally at the end of April!!!...T.T.

#13 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2006 - 08:52 PM

It was tt but gone down hill lately been troule on there

#14 Guest_egyptiandan64_*

Guest_egyptiandan64_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2006 - 03:21 AM

They all look good T.T. and I'm glad to see they all took a nibble.
Dan

#15 Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*

• Guests

Posted 01 March 2006 - 08:33 PM

Hi Dan, I just wish my adults would be as eager to eat after hibernation, they tend to be a bit more fussy than the younger ones!...T.T.

#16 Guest_Darren_*

Guest_Darren_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2006 - 09:01 AM

wow so you've got a couple of torotises then ! LOL, they look so cute in thier little shoes boxes, Bet you feel like a nursery nurse with all those hungry mouths to feed. Thats really made my day, great pics, love the little one feeding.

#17 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2006 - 05:08 PM

What a great picture TT and what wonderful news.

#18 Guest_loopylucy1234567890_*

Guest_loopylucy1234567890_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2006 - 05:58 PM

Brilliant pictures. What a lot of torts you have! :-)

#19 Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*

• Guests

Posted 01 March 2006 - 08:49 PM

Hi loopylucy1234567890, many thanks, you can never have enough torts!!!;) ...T.T.

#20 Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*

• Guests

Posted 01 March 2006 - 08:47 PM

Hi Sarah, thanks a lot...T.T.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users