- - - - -

Baby Leopard Tortoise Wont Open his Eyes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_awnyerneas_*

Guest_awnyerneas_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2006 - 01:23 AM

I recently purchased a baby leopard tortoise. I've had him for five days now and I'm noticing that he seems to have his eyes closed most of the time. I know that he is sleeping a lot of the time, but even when he's walking around or moving he has his eyes closed most of the time. Sometimes it's one eye and sometimes it's both eyes. I am concerned that he may be sick. He moves around a bit, but considering that he's a baby and that he needs time to adjust to his new setting I understand that he will be sleeping a lot of the time. I'm just worried about him not opening his eyes very often. Is this common? Should I be worried?
Thanks for any advice.

#2 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2006 - 01:39 AM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 01-03-06 AT 01:54 AM (GMT)]Hello awnyerneas,
Welcome to the forum,
First of all It sounds to me like he might have an eye infection.
You need to bathe the eye in luke warm water very gently and hopefully it will open. I would if i was you take him to the vet and get him looked at straight away, so if its an infection he can get treatment.
Does he have a runny nose as it could be RNS,
If your tortoise has 'sore eyes' there could be several possible causes including unsuitable subtrates. Materials such as wood pulp/shavings/sawdust, or straw, or hay are all known to contribute to eye problems.
Better to get your tort examined by a vet, than risk eye damage.
It can take a few weeks for a torotise to get used to its new suroundings and settle in and if he's only a baby then they do sleep a lot.How Old is he?
You need to be bathing him every day for at least twenty minuites with luke warm water This will Hydrated him.
Sorry for all the questions but if we can help we need to know these things.
What temperature is in your enclosure?
Also Where did you buy him from? and what do you keep him in? and what do you feed him on? and what substrate do you use?

Yours
Calamity Jane
www.tortoises.piczo.com
www.thetorthouse.piczo.com
www.Testudo-hermanni-boettgeri.piczo.com
My Tortoises:
1.4.2 Hermanns

#3 Guest_awnyerneas_*

Guest_awnyerneas_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2006 - 03:42 AM

Hello Calamity Jane,

Thanks for your excellent feedback.
Ok, so I have just soaked him in luck warm water and he did open his eye. I didn't notice anything amiss with either eye. Also, I don't think that he has RNS, since there was no discharge from his nose. I plan to take him to the vet tomorrow and have them check him out.
In answer to your other questions, I am using coconut shavings as his substrate. It may be that his subsrtate is irritating his eyes. What type of substrate would you recommend for him? I thought that this would be easy for him to walk around on.
I don't think he is older than 3 months. At least that's what the pet store, Petland, where I got him said. I'm not sure how accurate they are. They said that he was from Florida, I'm not sure about more information than that.
He lives in an open topped plywood cage. I'm sorry I don't have a camera to post pictures of it. It has plenty of space for him. There is an area that provides shade and a basking area. I have been keeping it at 80-90 degrees in the basking area and 68-78 in the shade. I have been soaking him for about 20-30 minutes in the mornings.
Lastly, he was living in Timothy hay until two days ago when I changed the substrate. I was letting him feed on the Timothy hay, but primarily I have been giving him grass and I've given him a little bit of lettuce once.
That's about it.
Thanks for all your help. This forum is wonderful.
-awnyerneas

#4 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2006 - 01:56 PM

Hi Awnyerneas
Joannes advise is exellent as always but what i think could be your problem is both substrate and diet
I have 6moth old or so leopards and went through exactly what your going through i kept mine on soil sand and they all had eye problems i changed to aubiouse hemp bedding for horses it cleared up in three days , now diet timothy hay is great but often baby leopards have been fed an alternative diet to this while they have been held in there other owners hands generally they have been fed the wrong diet which is much more palatable to the tortoises taste rather like feeding sweets to children the expecting them to eat a vegatable dinner they would kick up a fuse or not eat it, now if i where you i would try some dandelion leaves mixed with florettes crispy salad mix hopefully this will start a feeding response keep this diet up adding calcium carbonate as the appetite increase then when your comfortable he's eating ok try reduceing the salad mix increase the weeds and add finely chopped timothy hay as the appetite increases add more hay and stop the florettes this should help i hope, also leopards love high temps try icreaseing the temp through the day if possible , try this method if it doesn't work then seek veterinary advise .
Darren

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users