Tortoise having trouble walking

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Darren_*

Guest_Darren_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2006 - 07:55 PM

Hi guys,

My tortoise has been slow for a couple of weeks now but he has been eating, drinking, bathing, and basking ok.

Today i have ntoiced that he can not get him self up properly to walk around he just seems to drag himself along, seems to be the back legs more than the front.

Is he just lazy ?? He is very old !

He looks fit and healthly no RNS, eyes are clear and bright, mouth looks ok. Legs react when i touch them and can not feel any creaking when i move them.

Regards
Darren

#2 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2006 - 08:10 PM

Awwwwww Darren,
I hope he's ok, I dont no whats wrongx(
I'm sure someone be along soon to help you,
Sorry I cant,
Hope he gets better soon.:*
Yours
Calamity Jane
www.tortoises.piczo.com
www.thetorthouse.piczo.com
www.Testudo-hermanni-boettgeri.piczo.com
My Tortoises:
1.4.2 Hermanns

#3 Guest_Darren_*

Guest_Darren_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2006 - 08:16 PM

Thanks Joanne

Maybe you can help, could you please make him a wheelchair and find another tortoise to push him around, maybe be a young slim north african with great legs, and a cute smile, i am sure that would make him feel much better. LOL

Regards
Darren

#4 Guest_egyptiandan64_*

Guest_egyptiandan64_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2006 - 08:36 PM

Has he been passing any uric acid lately and if he has what color was it?
Dan

#5 Guest_Darren_*

Guest_Darren_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2006 - 08:38 PM

Towards the end of last week he passed a lot of white uric acid in his wee. Nothing since.

Rgds
Darren

#6 Guest_egyptiandan64_*

Guest_egyptiandan64_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2006 - 08:43 PM

White is good Darren. How long had it been prior to him passing it last week? It sounds like the beginnings of gout, which is a build up of uric acid in the body. He definately should see a vet and get some blood work done to tell for sure though.
Dan

#7 Guest_Darren_*

Guest_Darren_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2006 - 08:46 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 01-03-06 AT 08:48 PM (GMT)]It has been a while, before i got him the lady always used to hibernate him, so i hibernate every two/three years for a few weeks.
He is a Agerian, so should'nt hibernate, but has ben for 50 or so years ! will get him to the vet asap.

Is it something that can be treated.

Thanks
Darren

#8 Guest_egyptiandan64_*

Guest_egyptiandan64_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2006 - 08:47 PM

Keep up with lots of soaks Darren that will help flush everything out.
Your welcome,
Dan

#9 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2006 - 09:13 PM

Hi Darren Dan is right keep up with the warm baths also try maintaiing a steady tempreture at least 88f this will help keep its body functioning and hopefully pass out more urates sounds like this is the problem a build up of urates in the kidneys usualy due to incorrect hibernation ,if i where you i wouldn't hibernate him again north africans don't really fare well though hibernation some people do it sucessfully but best kept awake as they don't put on the fat reserves like mainland iberas good look at the vets hopefully its caught in time
Darren

#10 Guest_Darren_*

Guest_Darren_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2006 - 09:19 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 01-03-06 AT 09:20 PM (GMT)]Thanks guys how is it best to maintain the temp, should i leave the light on 24hours,?

Rgds
Darren

#11 Guest_jeff_*

Guest_jeff_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2006 - 09:27 PM

Hi there ive had this when i tuck on a female tunisian she had no push in her back legs,have look at your tems aswell plenty of baths is a must if he is to get better. dont let him over heat.jeff

#12 Guest_Darren_*

Guest_Darren_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2006 - 09:30 PM

thanks jeff, will give him loads of long warm baths

Darren:'(

#13 Guest_veebee_*

Guest_veebee_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2006 - 10:23 PM

Hi hope he gets better, its really worrying isnt it?

What causes this gout and are those the only symptoms to look for?

Viv

#14 Guest_jeff_*

Guest_jeff_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2006 - 11:08 PM

HI Veebee i understand it gout is cauaed by few thing high protein diets and keeping tortoise at too high temps and all so lack of water.and a vitamin D deficiencies can cause this.things to look for are swelling legs and stiffening joints and tortoise with no push in the back legs are symptoms of gout.take care jeff

#15 Guest_vwplaygirl_*

Guest_vwplaygirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2006 - 12:55 AM

aw i hope ur tort gets better soon m8...
takecare becky xxxx
wish i could help or give u advise also but im a new tort owner so all i can do is send my love and hope he gets better xxx:* :*

#16 Guest_Darren_*

Guest_Darren_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2006 - 09:31 AM

The only thing wrong with him is he can't stand and just pushes and pulls himself around.

His diet is good and always has been, weeds, & plants, I put vitamins in his food, and bath him 3 times a week.

Changed my vitamins to Nutabol and now add calcium carbonate.

Temp range from 28 - 30 degrees Basking, 24-26 at the other end.

rgds
Darren

#17 Guest_shootinglou79_*

Guest_shootinglou79_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2006 - 10:50 AM

hi dazza, awwwww blesssss, hope he will be ok, have you made an appointment at the vets for him?

linzi-lou

1.1.0. hermann tortoises
0.1.0. spur thigh(med)tortoise

#18 Guest_Darren_*

Guest_Darren_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2006 - 12:07 PM

Not really that confident in our local vet, brilliant with cats and dogs, any way Pig1et has given me loads of advice so am at the vet 3pm this afternoon, and gonna tell him what needs doing.

Otherwise we will come out of there a few pounds lighter with a vitamin injection which he does'nt need.

Rgds
Darren

#19 Guest_Darren_*

Guest_Darren_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2006 - 03:44 PM

Been to the vet Here goes:

Saw one of the partners who had more knowledge than i gave him credit for.

Ok, he thinks that the diet is spot on, had a real good look all over him and said he is a good strong tortoise. His Left Knee is swollen and is quite hard, he has some very old shell damage just above the knee, so he sugessted that when the damage to the shell happened in his younger days that it in fact damaged the knee, now because of his age Arthritis has set in. I pushed him on the gout theory and his reply was that with Gout you would normally see more swelling and not just in one leg, also with gout the swelling is nearer the foot.

I have been given "Metacam" one drop per day and back in a month to see how things are going.

Does any agree/Diagree with this, I am going to try and get some pics of the leg/damage before the weekend.

Rgds
Darren

#20 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2006 - 03:53 PM

Hi Darren,

At least it isnt anything really bad. I know it bad enough if its artheritus, You could try and give hime cod liver oils on his food maybe this will help to keep his bones loose, Just a Thought!
Give him my love XXX:*

Yours
Calamity Jane
www.tortoises.piczo.com
www.thetorthouse.piczo.com
www.Testudo-hermanni-boettgeri.piczo.com
My Tortoises:
1.4.2 Hermanns

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users