Chelos in a bad way

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Chelo Mum_*

Guest_Chelo Mum_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2006 - 08:17 AM

Hi,

You might remember I came on this forum a while ago having rescued a baby tortoise from a horrible pet shop here in the United Arab Emirates. Well, he was doing really well, a bit fussy with food but at least eating dandelion flowers and leaves. That is until a few days ago. We had some rainy weather which is not usual in this country and I had to bring him inside. Even though its hot and sunny again now he didn't recover and I took him to the vet yesterday.

He's malnourished and very weak. The vet thinks that he was sick when we rescued him, having been mistreated in transit and in the pet shop. She thinks we managed to rehabiltate him a bit but the bad weather weakened him again. So he's on a feeding tube, he's had a vit injection and is being given fluid injections. He's in a vivariam at optimim temperatures.

I'm so upset, I will be devestated if he doesnt pull though. He's become part of the family. But whatever happens I'm determined to start campaigning against the terrible state of pet shops in this country and the importation of tortoises here. At the end of the day he should be where he was snatched from in the wild, not here. Rescuing him is a drop in the ocean really.

:( :(

#2 Guest_Chelo Mum_*

Guest_Chelo Mum_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2006 - 08:19 AM

Photo of him when he was doing well..

#3 Guest_KERRYPUDGE1_*

Guest_KERRYPUDGE1_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2006 - 09:02 AM

How was his shell damaged?Im sure you have done your best for him and i really hope he pulls through for you!

Kerry

xxx

#4 Guest_veebee_*

Guest_veebee_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2006 - 12:27 PM

Crikey thats so sad to hear when he was doing so well, he must have gone down really quick. I hope he pulls through, he sounds like a little fighter to have got this far.
Good luck

Viv

#5 Guest_Chelo Mum_*

Guest_Chelo Mum_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2006 - 12:35 PM

His shell was damaged in transit to this country, I found him like this in the pet shop. I spoke to someone in the CITES department this morning and he told me that they are brought in from the Med by road!! If you look on a map you will feel ill when you see how far that is away.

At least there is some action for animal welfare in this country although they've got a long way to go.

In the meantime, he's fighting well and you're right, to have made it this far he must be a fighter. Just breaks my heart to think of the little ones that didn't make it. They pack them in crates apparently.x(

#6 Guest_GW_*

Guest_GW_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2006 - 12:58 PM

Hi Chelo,

I agree with you on the pet shops, there terrible .. Some of the stories on here about pet shops in the UK and how there mistreated (which they probablly are) make me wish people could see what I have 10 + rammed in abucket where they can't move with a bit of lettuce throw on top, always keping different specices togther in bird cages where they can't walk..the stoires go on. Let me know if you get anywhere .. ..

Hope Chelo is getting better ..

GW

#7 Guest_GW_*

Guest_GW_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2006 - 01:30 PM

Hi,

Was it a local Cities rep you spoke to ?

#8 Guest_Henry_Flash_*

Guest_Henry_Flash_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2006 - 03:49 PM

Thats really bad news I'm so sorry to hear that and I hope he pulls through

#9 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2006 - 04:02 PM

Hi Chelo mum
The thing is you got him to a vet who seems to no what he's doing i really hope he makes afull recovery he deserves to after such a traumatic life and i'm sure he will fingers crossed for you.
Darren

#10 Guest_l1277702_*

Guest_l1277702_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2006 - 04:31 PM

I really hope he pulls through. Give him all of our love and keep us updated. At least you know you've done the best you can, and that he's finally found someone to give him the love and care he deserves.

beth x

#11 Guest_Chelo Mum_*

Guest_Chelo Mum_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2006 - 07:12 PM

Hi,

Thanks for all your good wishes. I got a call from the vet this evening and Chelo is a little better and is taking hand-fed food. No more tube I hope.

The vet thinks that Chelo will need two weeks of care before he can come home. He's really being treated well, he's in a vivarium and they're keeping a watchful eye on him. They want to build up his strength and find the root cause of the problem.

I'll keep you updated.

#12 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2006 - 11:02 PM

Awww Poor Chelo,
Its terrible how all these tortoises get treated, But at least you are doing your best for him.
I am sure he will pull through for you.
Good Luck & Best wishes.
I will send a little preyer for him. ;)

Yours
Calamity Jane
www.tortoises.piczo.com
www.thetorthouse.piczo.com
www.Testudo-hermanni-boettgeri.piczo.com
My Tortoises:
2.3.2 Hermanns

#13 Guest_Chelo Mum_*

Guest_Chelo Mum_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 05:52 PM

Hi everyone,

The vet called this afternoon and its good news!

He's put on weight, he's pooing (the poo is off to be tested for parasites) and he's eating a little by himself! They're still syringe feeding him but it seems to be doing the trick.

So, I'm off to see him on Thursday and he should be home next Monday.

:7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

#14 Guest_Tomatillo_*

Guest_Tomatillo_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 06:18 PM

Hi Chelo's Mum
Thats fantastic news.I'm so pleased -you must be elated .Hopefully he'll now go from strength to strength.Good to hear that Bobby is doing well too.
Kind Regards
Laura(Tomatillo)

#15 Guest_Henry_Flash_*

Guest_Henry_Flash_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 08:14 PM

Thats great news Chelo mum I'm really pleased hes doing well I bet your really so happy.

1.0.2 Hermanns

#16 Guest_Inca_*

Guest_Inca_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 08:38 PM

Hi Chelo's mum,

Pleased to hear he is getting well again- will you post us all some piccies of him when he is back to health again?

Inca

#17 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 08:44 PM

Thats Great News!!
I am so pleased for you. He's must be a tough little cookie ;)

Yours
Calamity Jane :*
www.tortoises.piczo.com
www.thetorthouse.piczo.com
www.Testudo-hermanni-boettgeri.piczo.com
My Tortoises :D
2.3.2 Hermanns

#18 Guest_veebee_*

Guest_veebee_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 10:32 PM

Brilliant news, bet you cant wait to bring him home to see (from a distance) his new brother!!
love to all

Viv

#19 Guest_l1277702_*

Guest_l1277702_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2006 - 02:55 PM

I'm really please to hear he's doing well. If only there were a million more people like you in the UAE! Well done.

Beth x

#20 Guest_kirsty10_*

Guest_kirsty10_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:41 PM

Thats great news!! I hope you both have a long and happy life together you deserve it!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users